I found my T-Type that was stolen in 2003 today... pics, story, etc

kenny

No turbo, no care.
Two days ago I decided to run a Carfax on the VIN of my old car, finding a new title was issued in October. The day after I run my original title # on the state BMV site, revealing the current owner - James G Jackson, Chief of Police.

I assume since his job title is listed next to his name, he isn't the owner and it is probably at the impound. So today I call the impound and they tell me the car is in fact there. I'm informed I won't like what I see as it is only a shell.

First, picture of it before it was stolen,

1buick_1.jpg

buick_3.jpg

buick_4.jpg

Note the headlights, the lack of a truck lock and the wheels.

This is what I find,

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5275.jpg

IMG_5276.jpg

IMG_5284.jpg

Turns out the car has been there since January. State Farm was notified of this in February when the impound sent out TWO letters to them telling them the car was there.

At some point the Columbus Auto Squad steps in since my car was recovered with Mark Martin's race car that was stolen around the same time as my car.

Also, two months ago someone was there and removed a motor and an axle from my car. That guy was somehow "the current owner", even though I settled with State Farm so they should have held the title.

There is more, but I'm kind of sick of the subject at the moment so I'll get back to this later. I'm going to attempt to buy the car back and rebuild it when I'm done with college (about a year left). I don't even know if that is possible at this point (buying it back) so we'll see how it goes.

:mad:

F#$%$ Theifs!

The "owner" came and took the engine? Perhaps State Farm already sold the car to a salvage co if you settled, but I dunno why it would still be in the impound.

F#$%$ Theifs!

The "owner" came and took the engine? Perhaps State Farm already sold the car to a salvage co if you settled, but I dunno why it would still be in the impound.

Nope. State Farm still holds the title and they won't sell the car to me.

I have the number for the company that is in charge of getting rid of it, so maybe I can work out a deal with them.

Someone just picking up a motor seems rather shady, doesn't it? That's probably the same ******* that stole the car in the first place. :mad:

I just noticed they stole the rearend too! They must know G-Bodies, but not Regals or they'd have taken the header panel as well.

I feel your pain man, but as a fellow buick brother I have to tell you sometimes you just have to know when to let go. It's beyond help at this point man, Ive seen regular regals in the junkyard that look better than that.

I can tell you that who ever took the engine, they didn't get the original turbo V6 cause those are V8 motor mounts in there.

I can tell you that who ever took the engine, they didn't get the original turbo V6 cause those are V8 motor mounts in there.

I think it was some kind of newer GM EFI motor... not sure if it was an LS1 or not.

I grabbed a MAF and a ECU out of the trunk... :eek:

wow that sucks. Is there anyway you can track down the person who bought the motor? Didn't you have a crate motor?

Jason

........ I'm going to attempt to buy the car back and rebuild it when I'm done with college (about a year left). I don't even know if that is possible at this point (buying it back) so we'll see how it goes.

Kenny,
That S****!
Sorry to hear that.

I think it may be time to let go of this one.
You had a AWESOME car, but at this point in the game, it is MHO that you can find a great car for less than what it would cost to get it back up and running. Get the payout, walk, and don't look back.

I got the payout three years ago.

If I can buy the car back for cheap, what is a bunch of my time worth? I'd have fun doing it and when finished I would have even more fun drinking beer and laughing about it.

... and a faster/cleaner car that I knew every inch of.

Also, two months ago someone was there and removed a motor and an axle from my car. That guy was somehow "the current owner", even though I settled with State Farm so they should have held the title.:mad:

That doesn't wash with me...

How can someone strip a car once it has been impounded? I'd guess that the motor and rear were taken by someone who "knew someone" on the impound lot.

I would dig deeper into this if I were you....

That doesn't wash with me...

How can someone strip a car once it has been impounded? I'd guess that the motor and rear were taken by someone who "knew someone" on the impound lot.

I would dig deeper into this if I were you....

I'm with you man. Everything I've been told about the whole situation doesn't sit right.

sorry but I'd just let it go .. are you sure it's your car ??? or maybe they just swapped vin's :confused: .. most thieves don't paint cars .. :frown:

sorry but I'd just let it go .. are you sure it's your car ??? or maybe they just swapped vin's :confused: .. most thieves don't paint cars .. :frown:

Good point. Looking at the pictures it is obvious that someone spent a lot of time on the paint job. I mean a lot. Did your car have a smoothed firewall?

Good point. Looking at the pictures it is obvious that someone spent a lot of time on the paint job. I mean a lot. Did your car have a smoothed firewall?
It's plausible the car had that much work put into it. After all, he said it was stolen in 2003 & has been impounded since January. That would have given someone a year or so to smooth the firewall, repaint it & install V8 drivtetrain.

The body had over 130 hours of work put into it...

Before I owned it, Bristol (2002 or 2001),
1buickatbristol2.jpg

What it looked like when I bought it, rough,
Ttype8.jpg

Fixing the rough,
AUT_8038.jpg

AUT_8039.jpg

AUT_8048.jpg

After 130+ hours of body work
Mvc-001f.jpg

Mvc-005f.jpg

End result,
100_0568.jpg

1buick_1.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

No, it didn't have a smoothed firewall. Yes, I'm 150% positive it is my car. The VIN tag wasn't swapped, I found MY **** in the trunk including two boxes for Denso O2 sensors. You should know how much time goes into a car like this... of course I'm sure it was mine.

Haha they swapped motors, painted it, but they didn't even bother cleaning the trunk out. Do you EVER remember seeing the maroon car driving around?

Jason