I have a story you will never believe

Ha thats great, so we are connected. Strange.

You have no idea how many people I run into who saw it sitting there. The ol boy says many people came by when he was living there and offerd 1000 dollars for it. He would laugh at them and ask, you really dont think I know what this car is do you? He would send them on their way.

The crack heads wouldnt even offer that. They just took it. Rejects.

But we got the last laugh on them. It's back on the road and he is enjoying it. Would still be sitting there if it wasn't for them. And the best thing of all is we both have a new friend. Life is funny sometimes.

I'm surprised it wasn't stolen 20 years ago. My car was broken into just sitting in my driveway, after my OTHER GN, which was in my garage, won a local car show. Alarm kept it from being stolen, I'm sure, although I didn't hear it. I don't recall if yours now has an alarm/kill switch, but you should get one if you haven't already. It saved mine from an amateur who thought smashng a window was the best way to get inside :mad:

Well, I just spent the last 1.5 hrs reading this thread from the beginning and it was worth every minute. I don't post too often on here because I'm a new GN owner myself and know nothing about cars, let alone tempermental turbo cars. I just like to do research and soak up everyone elses knowledge :)

This story and the immeasurable amount of human decency and kindness is unbelievable. You couldn't make this story up. Unfortunately this can be a ****ty and unforgiving world and stories like this can go a long way to restoring a persons faith in humanity. Whatever bit of fate/luck/karma that brought you and Mr. Simmer together is nothing short of a gift from god.

Your car looks amazing and you are blessed with family and many friends. I feel somewhat humbled to share in your experiences, even if it's as a Turbo Buick lurker/Buick noobie. I stumbled ass-backwards into owning a GN and it has been a life changing experience, no doubt.

It's amazing who we as a society idolize; athletes, actors, musicians, celebrities when people like yourself are out there every day making a difference.

Thanks!! :)

Thanks for making me cry before bed.

I am truley humbled by your comments. I dont feel like I did anything special. But I do think something special came from something ordinary for me.

Thanks so much for reading our story.

I am thankful for the greatest wife, best son, amazing family and friend's, a warm place to sleep and food on the table. and a job. I am thankful for new family and friends. I am thankful for being healthy and happy. I will also be thankful when this year is over and we can say,

Wow we made it through one of the worst economies EVER... For all of this I am thankful........ I wish all of you a GREAT Thanksgiving.... Hug everyone you know and love, you never know what tomorrow might bring. HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Just got done visiting Mr. S and he says they are shooting for Dec. 6th to go home.... Yippppiieeeeee. Wow what a long recovery process this has been. I guess I shouldn't be whoopin it up just yet. We haven't gotten the final word...

Just happy we are even close enough to be talking about it... It has been so busy here that I haven't been able to be there as much as I should. But I have to make sure I make time for my family also I suppose. I feel so guily when Im not by his side keeping him company....

Good visit today though. All 45mins of it. I am working on 2hrs of sleep and should really be heading home for a nap.

Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving...

UPDATE

Mr. S Got out of the rehab facility yesterday. Yippiieeeee

The wound looks really good and now he is back home. I saw him for a few yesterday at the house. He seemed a little irritated and not too excited to be there. I think he is going to miss all of the attention he got when he was there.

The guy spent 20yrs alone and now I think he knows what he was missing not having friends or family to talk with. I am really just hoping he misses the human interaction so much that he wants to move to a retirement home.

I am scared he will just fall back into the same rut he was in when I met him. I really hope he just stays off of the booze. That will be his demise....

Called him and hour ago to see if he wanted to visit and he said no. Too much stuff to do. He has a bunch of people comming tomorrow to get himself set up with the people who will be caring for his wound and himself. So I just left it at that and told him I would call tomorrow and see what is up.

Only time will tell how he is going to be after all of this. I know one thing he said kinda pissed me off. He said it would have been better if I would have never called someone to check on him.... Kinda broke my heart really. I have such high hopes he comes around...

We will see....

I'm glad he is making progress. My aunt, who is about 95 now, once told me that old folks don't like to move. I remember when we had the retirement home planned out for my dad. Moving day came and I really thought he was going to back out. But he went through with it and it was for the better. My mom had died and he was alone in the house. If he had fallen no one whould have known. We had a caregiver stay with him during the day but it wasn't as good as all of the people around at the retirement home. I was 3 hours away so I couldn't visit with him that often. So if Mr. S doesn't get "pushed" into the retirement home, he probably won't go.

GNgift, I have to add my little comment to your story. I have just finished reading your story and would just like to tell you "God Bless You". Your story makes me know that things are going to happen just as they are supposed to.

As for his comment, don't take it too hard. Mr.S has gone from through some major, life altering, events. Had you or I gone through similar things we could blow up and say some things that were hurtfull without thinking of the people that we hurt. It seems that Mr.S could have some issues with depression that need to be addressed as well. Give your friend the benifit of the doubt and know that sometimes folks need a little space to take in and process the things that are going on around them before they get back on an even keel.

Just keep the faith and remember, it is Gods will not ours that will be done.

Ps, Chin up you have Christmas with a loving, healthy family to look foward to and there is a really nice GN sitting in the driveway. Jon Hanson

Hey thanks you guy's, and I do know some of these things are going to be hard for him to get used to. All I can see is an addict going back to the same old routine. It has been nearly 5 months for him without booze. I just pray he will continue to stay sober.

I know not to take some of his comments to heart. I was just hoping we could continue on just like we have for the last 5 months. I was there nearly every day to visit with him. He seemed to like it. We would talk for hours. I had a really good time too.

So I just left him alone today knowing he had all of the caregivers comming to work out the details. I will call again tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for caring you guy's.

Oh yeah the GN is safe and warm in my favorite body shop for the winter. I went to visit it yesterday.. :)

WOW, is all i have got to say.

thank you sharing your wonderful story, i hope you and Mr s have many more happy years of friendship.

ah...the story continues... haven't checked in for a while, but very interesting story for sure. Thanks for continuing to share (although repeated comments probably account for part of it!)

I seldom use the word "awesome" but this story is awesome. Thank you for all you have done for the 'old guy' and I just hope he continues to appreciate your time and compassion.

This story is so far out of the norm, it is sometimes hard to believe. But I have seen other stories that really are out of left field. Most of the time it is the Lord getting involved to have his will done. I believe that is what happened in this story.

You are quite the gentleman and I am proud to have you in the Buick community. Actually, some times, good things happen to good people. And... you're one of those.

Awesome story and now I am subscribed.

Good Speed, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your lovely wife and family. God Speed to Mr. Simmerz.

Update

Hey everyone, I just thought I would update you all on the current situation. It has been a while and I really didn't want to post until I had some more info for you all..

I was giving Mr. S some space like he asked for, so I havent see him for some time. I was hoping he wasn't just going back to the old ways of life but it seems that is whats going on. He wouldn't have me over. our conversations on the phone were short and to the point.

I just let him be and figured I would call him when I was ready to show the car and give him another chance to hang out and enjoy our story. So Saturday night I gave him a call and told him we were taking the car to it's first show Sunday and would love him to be there with us to enjoy it.

He declined saying he wasn't feeling well then hung up on me. So I just dont know where to go from here. I think I may try one more time but I haven't seen him since December and I have tried many times to make contact. I am about done. It makes me very sad. But I am not sure what to do... This could very well be the end of a great life changing time in my life..

I just hope he is ok....

Anyway here is a pic my beautiful wife took of Bart this weekend, With all of his original document's and a few reproductions...

bartshoreline1.jpg

car looks great! I would respect his wishes, however, I would consider sending him a gift card to a local grocer or something that will help him out. maybe every couple months or so.

inspiring story man... purely inspiring. read this back in november and thought it would be a lot further along now than it has been.. i really hope the old guy doesn't fall into a hole again.. regardless of what happens you should try your best to keep him out of dark days... even if it means going over on a surprise visit to see him.

i hope i can come back again and see some more posts.. thanks for this story it brightened me up 7 months ago and it continues to do so today!

Was browing the site and happened to find your story....I'm a young 70 yr old guy,
but as you get older, things change and unfortunately your friend is going through some
times when values, choices, basic understandings, relationships, and a bunch of other things all seem to take on a different meaning. I witnessed this in my dad who passed at 96 yrs of age. If you do all that you can for him and it is rejected, then you can't let it get you down....as the fellow in the previous post said, grocery store gift card,etc. would be nice. Try to think of additional ways to give him some happiness, maybe something on his birthday, or Xmas, or holidays, those are tough times for the old.
You've got quite a story there and it took me about an hour and a half to read it all, but
I'm glad I did. I'm sure you'll enjoy the chit out of the gn...they're in a class by themselves and need to be run. You did right by someone and you got rewarded.
Karma..... Stay safe and be happy.

subscribed...great story! the best people on this board..period!

Thanks everyone, Trying to keep my head up, I emailed his sister today so maybe I can get an update on him. We will see. I really want to see him.. :(