You can type here any text you want

I just picked up a used Engine What should be done to it before dropping it in???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
when going roller cam and heavier springs
Do You NEED to use a hardened rocker shaft?
Do You NEED to use roller rockers?

Most Aftermarket rollers come on their own shaft.

I was told you don't NEED roller rockers but it makes getting the valvetrain geometry perfect much easier.

You can usually find a good set (new or used) here for $400 or so.

Here it is.

I told my friend (a Turbo Buick guy) about the condition of the two lifters that i looked at.
He was kind enough to come to my garage and look at the stuff him self. The first words out of his mouth was "Thats JUNK"
then he explained how the oiling system works and that i MUST pull the #1 bearing.
So we pull the #1 bearing and its is trashed, with no other choice we continued with the tare-down, All the lifters whir/ are shot and the cam has three rounded lobes and the oil pump had particles in it. the only thing holding up was the head gaskets.

"I just picked up a used Engine What should be done to it before dropping it in???" Have it rebuilt:mad::mad:

Just my fng luck i was so hyped up and getting ready to possibly drop it in this week end.
this sucks man i am not a happy camper specially being out $800.00 plus the time and trip to pick it up And now having to rebuild it.

the messed up part about this is the ship you start to think about about the seller after you find all this stuff
Did the guy know about it??? He is a Turbo Buick guy
He did say that he pulled the pan?????
Some of the push rods had the clean shinny spots (the part that goes through the head) on the bottom by the lifters- which indicates that the push rods whir at a minimum removed and reinstalled upside-down???
We met at a remote location (parking lot) where it would have been odd to open a motor up????
The motor was nicely packaged and who wants oil spilling in their brothers family DD?????
The seller showed up with no tools?????
I made the same mistake to also show up with no tools.
Not saying this was done purposely just simply looking at the facts :confused:

At this point i don't think that i would buy much else from any one else.

Back to the rebuilding an engine thread.

you are buyin a pig in a poke with a used engine. I have been burned a LOT on used engines. After a few times I finally saw the light an figured engines as cores. In all my years selling Buick parts I have only sold ...hmmm 2 or 3 RUNNING motors that were still in the original cars. Did the guy know the condition of this motor ?? Hard to say. Lots of people don't have a clue and as long as it ran it was a great awesome motor that they would drive from NY to Kali with no problems :rolleyes:

you are buyin a pig in a poke with a used engine. I have been burned a LOT on used engines. After a few times I finally saw the light an figured engines as cores. In all my years selling Buick parts I have only sold ...hmmm 2 or 3 RUNNING motors that were still in the original cars. Did the guy know the condition of this motor ?? Hard to say. Lots of people don't have a clue and as long as it ran it was a great awesome motor that they would drive from NY to Kali with no problems :rolleyes:

Well Grumpy this is the last time it happens to me with an engine thats for sure and pretty much most used parts from most people at least on "wear" parts. I usually believe people and give them the benefit of doubt but this is the second time that i bought something from a "BUICK Parts guy" that is/was junk.

I'm sorry you got burned David. I got luky on the one I bought this fall and if I decide to I can just put everything back together with the freshly ground crank I've got sitting here. Fresh bearings and rings of course, but it has almost no ridge in the cylinder but the cam was going flat on the usual lobe.

Man that sucks. I'm still confused as to why you took this $800 and and bought a ? instead of finishing your original project? Sell it all to gain some of your losses.

Man that sucks. I'm still confused as to why you took this $800 and and bought a ? instead of finishing your original project?

I use to tell guys that all the time. He should be able to recoup some $$$ .. Block and crank are worth something :cool:

Man that sucks. I'm still confused as to why you took this $800 and and bought a ? instead of finishing your original project? Sell it all to gain some of your losses.

i was just trying to get the car going.
To Then take my time building a solid long block.

I use to tell guys that all the time. He should be able to recoup some $$$ .. Block and crank are worth something :cool:
us rookies just don't do a good job at listening.
BTW the guy helping me gave all the "i told you so" that i could handle.

i never had any luck selling cars or parts. I'll add this junk to my collection of junk.

Sorry to come in so late but the easy/quickest way to check a used motor, still in the car if you want, is to pull the filter adapter and check the pocket under the oil pump idle gear. This pocket traps copper bearing material and is a quick check with out pulling anything else.

Of course you will have to re-set the pump and so on but its the quickest- easy way to check the condition of a used buick V6..

Post what yours looks like if you havent taken it apart...

Thanks for the info
BUT i have joined the lowballers association- If its used i'll buy it only if its dirt cheap and only as a "Core" or Core's Value Other wise i'll buy new or not buy at all.

Sorry to come in so late but the easy/quickest way to check a used motor, still in the car if you want, is to pull the filter adapter and check the pocket under the oil pump idle gear. This pocket traps copper bearing material and is a quick check with out pulling anything else.

Of course you will have to re-set the pump and so on but its the quickest- easy way to check the condition of a used buick V6..

Post what yours looks like if you havent taken it apart...

lifters and bearings
the bearings actually have grooves in them.
What a deference a good camera makes, i took these with my wifes camera

Attachments

• DSC01409.jpg
    DSC01409.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01410.jpg
    DSC01410.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01412.jpg
    DSC01412.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC01413.jpg
    DSC01413.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 128
I sent a PM to the guy that sold me this thing.
I let him know what was found.
He asked for more pictures so i posted them up.
i then send him another pm asking "Whats the verdict?" and i get a PM
"The verdict?
Call me at #$^#&^%&."
So i left a message a few days ago and still no response.

The part that keeps bugging me is that i made it clear that i wanted a drop in and go engine that needed ZERO work.
He told me his asking price and i NEVER tried to haggle What he asked for he got in cash with no excuses or stories.

At pick up time i even asked again, I can drop this thing in and go? Yeaup.
How many miles on it? 70-80K Don't remember exactly.

I don't get it, shi t always gets found out so why do it?? Especially if your in the business or parting Buicks???

Benefit of the doubt

Suppose you don't know the condition of something just fcking say you don't know, That way the buyer can choose to gamble or buy else where.

Had i known that this thing would have to get rebuilt i would NOT have bought it Since i already had 4 other blocks and 3 COMPLETE rotating assemblies and 6 valve heads.

Sorry for the rant.

yup.. welcome to the used parts story. I always try an work with my own junk rather than trying to rebuild other guys junk :cool: You sure are getting some learned lessons lately !! :redface:

yup.. welcome to the used parts story. I always try an work with my own junk rather than trying to rebuild other guys junk :cool: You sure are getting some learned lessons lately !! :redface:

It does suck big time, Trying to hold on to a few $$$ you end up throwing away some $$$ to then spend more $$$ rebuilding your old stuff.
I am not even using the block on this build.:mad:
The worst part about it is the guy is a Turbo Buick parts guy not some random guy that happen to come across a Buick and is now parting it out.

Looks like it could have been a cam upgrade that went bad.

Could be
The cam has a machined groove on the first support (what ever the round part that rides on the bearing is called) i believe that OE cams Do not have that same groove. i'll take a picture today and post it up.

just left another message on the sellers phone.

the first bit of good news since i got this thing
The seller returned my call today
and we worked out a long term solution

Back