i need the correct upper radiator hose.. help!

TType84

cookin with propane
where can i get the RIGHT one.. the one that is all 90 degree bends.. not this weird shaped crap.. i want one that fits into the little "cradle" on the ign module stand.. i want the RIGHT ONE.. none of the places around here have the RIGHT ONE... have any of you guys gotten a correctly shaped replacement?

i had the same problem with my 87. try kirbans or ramchargers or something like that. i couldnt get the stock replacement at any stores by me. have you tried a dealer ?

And what about the heater hoses? The stock ones I have look OK but since I have the engine out, I figured it'd be a good idea to replace them. Haven't tried looking yet but if you're having trouble with the radiator hose, I'm almost afraid to try for the heater hoses... (mine's an '84)

this is off topic too, but while you have the engine out, make sure you buy a good amount of SILICONE vacuum line and replace every single vac line on the car and ziptie them.. you'll never have to worry about cracked or leaking hoses because silicone hoses dont dry out like normal rubber ones do!

Hey TType84,

Where can you get these silicone vacuume lines from, i have an '84 GN and in the same process of replacing all my hoses as well:) Thank you, i'd appreciate it.

Mahalo,
Joseph C.

I've got a big box of radiator hoses on hand Nick if you still need one of those hard to find HA uppers. I'll see what I can dig up for you. Thanks.

I'm sure i cant afford it right now, i've been spending a lot on christmas presents, but i know the one on my car is barely long enough as it is and id love to have a stock one.. send me an email once you find the box!

Radiator Hose

I've owned my '85 since it came off the truck in June 1985 and over the past 18 years, I've seen part after part, discontinued by the factory. Unfortunately, this is one of them, and it's only going to get worse.
The lousy replacement that every parts store and dealer has is a one size fits everything piece of crap that's pretty much the only game in town. The only alternative is fabricate something that looks halfway decent, and that's not difficult.
:(

TType84 said:
I'm sure i cant afford it right now, i've been spending a lot on christmas presents, but i know the one on my car is barely long enough as it is and id love to have a stock one.. send me an email once you find the box!
Nick,
What did you end up doing? Any pics?

I've bought what the stores have (this is usually a generic hose made by Gates) that they claim fits all Buick Regals, GNs, Le Sabres and Electras. They don't carry anything else. I suppose the hose fits and won't cause anyone grief as it's sold, it just looks like crap. So I've taken a blade and cut it to fit (in terms of contour) and match as close as the original. Where I have a splice (and up to now I've only needed one), I just use a copper pipe coupling with a couple of clamps to make the connections, and get it to fit. Paint the clamps flat black and position the clamp screw to the bottom of the hose to keep it as clean looking as possible.
Hope this helps. :cool:

TType84 said:
......... just blew up the tranny on tuesday.. so its not like it matters. i'll probably just get some SS pipe and some silicone couplers

Sorry to hear about your tranny. Found out today that G-Body parts has some "SS upper radiator hose pipe" for around $135.

Jerryl said:
Sorry to hear about your tranny. Found out today that G-Body parts has some "SS upper radiator hose pipe" for around $135.
yeah, i had been thinking about making something like that and wondered if it woule be a good idea. i then see that pipe on the site and go "well ill be damned"

figure ill make one for $20

Hot Air pics

Posted with permission from G-Body Parts.

Attachments

• G-Body HA1.jpg
    G-Body HA1.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 243
  • G-Body HA2.jpg
    G-Body HA2.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 242
  • G-Body HA3.jpg
    G-Body HA3.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 218
  • G-Body HA4.jpg
    G-Body HA4.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 205
Pictures

Jerry, those are some nice pictures of a georgous engine bay. Excellent.

Jerryl said:

$125.00 I built these last year & haven't had time to get them up on the site yet. Same with the silicone vacuum line kits. I sold some on e-bay last year.
The lower hoses are the same as the 87's.Upper hoses are hot air specific.
Black, red, & blue.
I'll get some up shortlly for you guys.
Jerryl thanks for posting these.

I went to the local parts shop and I got the right hose, exactely what I had on before... not sure if that makes any difference being in Canada... Place is called Piston Ring. They are very good with parts for me..:)

Nick soryr bout your tranny. how did it blow? Didn't you have it rebuilt once before? Hope all goes well on that respect :)

BuickTV6 said:
I went to the local parts shop and I got the right hose, exactely what I had on before... not sure if that makes any difference being in Canada... Place is called Piston Ring. They are very good with parts for me..:)

Nick soryr bout your tranny. how did it blow? Didn't you have it rebuilt once before? Hope all goes well on that respect :)
yeah.. driving on the hwy

yep had it rebuilt by phoenix trashmissions. went back to them 3 times.

getting one from brian, bruce, or kurtz next. about to buy a conv from pats convs

get on aim sometime brother.

IF you have the 86/87 radiator or the F body wider radiator
in your car, the correct fit hose is as follows:

Gates 21188

This is for a Chevy van, I think, and you have to trim
a little off the ends, but the fit is exact otherwise.

Pictures as promised.
Hose compliments of "Turbofish"

Lower right corner;
"Straight bend" hose is OEM.

Maybe the solution is not to find a hose but modify the radiator connection.

Attachments

• Rad hose.JPG
    Rad hose.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 304