You can type here any text you want

Im getting frame pulled, specs are unknowm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
After getting car running after 3 sets of bad heads i had my first wreck in 47 years. Car got squrley at 60 mph 3/4 romp. I dont see why the car can get so squirly as it isnt the fastest thing around. I have wondered about the rear end walking, it does have good bushings, and reinforced arms, so?
Anyhow, the rt frame horn was tweaked over about 3-4 inches and the other horn is over about 1.5 inches. Well body shop has them "finished" but i put on core support and the fendoer which is on the side that didnt get hurt, is higher by about 3/4 of an inch. It will bolt on, but that doesnt seem good to me. They said they would use specs but now they cant find them. He wants to bend upward the frame horn on that side so the fender will mate to core supp more easily. I know i need to be worried, and im also worried that the steering box/pitman arm may be now have binding/alignment issues. I know that they are supposed to have known measurements to go by with alot of differing measuring points. Hec, i dont know if they have the measuring tool for that matter. Or what that bar thing is even called. Anyway, does anyone have the specs? TIA

Wow. Nobody has their books anymore. And the shops that have online services like Mitchell cant even get it to show up. I asked the guy "try looking for a 79 Malibu". No G body info at all. He said he will call Mitchell and they may be able to fax specs to him. RIDICULOUS.

When car is on frame machine make sure center link is level. I have seen people notch the idler arm holes to get it level.
Kinda like the 4X4 blazers. The parallelogram has to be right or the centerlink can bind. The bar thing I think your talking about is a tram gage. Get it on an alignment machine right after the body shop to verify
I thought mo clamp had a site with specs but Ive been looking and cant find it.
I talk to my buddy tomorrow and see if he has them

I emailed a couple of pages I copied out of my 1984 manuals- I hope that is what you're looking for...

Attachments

• malibuframe3A.jpg
    malibuframe3A.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 164
  • elcamino1A.jpg
    elcamino1A.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 132
  • elcamino2A.jpg
    elcamino2A.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 132
  • elcamino3A.jpg
    elcamino3A.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 132
  • malibuframe1A.jpg
    malibuframe1A.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 129
I was under the impression the El Camino's frames were slightly different than the regular g-bodys...

I was under the impression the El Camino's frames were slightly different than the regular g-bodys...

I don't know if the Elco is the same or not. The second set of prints is a Malibu.

~JM~

First off...thanks to all for the info! My email notifier must not work anymore so i just saw the postings.
Re el camino, I do know that they, and malibus have taller core support bushings....so dont know if frame is different. Ironically, it was when i put my fenders on that it was evident that core support is 1.5 inches too low. I have to think that all sort of dimensions are off!

Back