Im going in....(Timing Chain)

jamericaniSS said:
This is such a great thread, keep up the good work and the pictures, we are routing for you to get it back together

Amen, this is a great thread..I'm pretty much doing everything QWK is, except mine started with a blown headgasket....VERY helpful !!!!!! My motor now is nothing but shortblock sitting in the bay..Probably would have been easier to pull it !! :D

aaannnnnddddd

aaaaannnnd while your at it.......... :D

If you have not done it already, get all new turbo hoses and clamps to replace your old ones...

Dont forget to Prime the oil system before you start it, I just pour oil in one of my oil cooler lines till it is full. This works for me.

Dennis

Alaskabuick said:
aaaaannnnd while your at it.......... :D

If you have not done it already, get all new turbo hoses and clamps to replace your old ones...

WOhoo! Something I already did ;)

Great thread!!I wish the internet was around 15 years ago would've helped my learning curve............. :)

Wished i would have seen this yesterday before you bolted on the front cover-
I always TDC #1 pull the cover and remove the old chain and double check the new chain to be straight up with this extra step.
Put the new chain on and set the cam gear to where you "think" it should be all straight up ect, temporarily slip the front timing cover on, temp set the balancer and make 100% sure its set to 0° on the timing mark, then take the balancer off and timing cover and VARIFY that your still straight up.
I know alot of cars that are 1 tooth off and slow to spool.
Just a FYI.
Also, when trying to get the rear Cap off, slip a oil pan bolt into the cap and use a claw hammer under the head to gently pry the cap off each side, will come off with ease and you can reuse the bearing.
Nice chebby!
BW

Got it and sent you PM about more HP...

I should edit my past post, DONT F with the oil pump.
BW

Jbenn911 said:
Amen, this is a great thread..I'm pretty much doing everything QWK is, except mine started with a blown headgasket....VERY helpful !!!!!! My motor now is nothing but shortblock sitting in the bay..Probably would have been easier to pull it !! :D

I am in the same boat with a blown head gasket....though I will be pulling the motor this weekend.

Great thread by the way.

Thanks everyone!! It kind of feels like you guys are in the garage with me.....Ehhh Ok maybe not. But Thanks for the words of encouragemnet :)

Ok, lets just keep this snowball a running down the mountain!!

Motor mounts. Seems like a pretty normal thing to do. 144k+ miles on this GN and Im sure they are wiped. Nope, no cracks or imperfections anywhere. But these HR mounts that are going in...SAAAWEETT :biggrin:
I couldnt find my longer Ratchet, so I did the old "helper wrench" to get the motor mount bolts loose.
115581836.jpg

Quick lil note...I dont see how ANYONE can get those MMs off with everything still on the engine. If you did, You are THE MAN!!

Anyway, I removed the long bolts from both MMs and jacked the engie up with a floor jack. (please use a block of wood between the jack and pan)

The drivers side, I came at the front bolt from the front. I used a 5/8 Spark plug socket and again, a helper wrench.
115581850.jpg

Once I got both MMs off, I put them up against the HRs....No comparison!!
115581839.jpg

I removed the old MMS and installed both MMs in about one CD. I believe it was Foo fighters new one, disc one. Pretty good stuff.
When lowering the jack, do it slowly!! The mounts dropped right over the frame stands like a glove and all was buttoned up.

115581857.jpg

115581846.jpg

Now Cold Play is on the CD and evrything is going good....Why not do the tranny mount also!
So I crawl under the car and put the jack under the rear of the pan. (remember the 2x4) I raise it up just enough to take off the "tension" The metric bolts (3 of em) come off with no hassle.
This is going to good....
I continue to remove the tranny mount and once again I have to compare the HR and the stocker....There is no comparison.

115581860.jpg

Although they use an Energy Suspension mount, they fabricate the "adapter"
I need to mention also, Their directions are short, but do a very good job of, walking you threw the process.
In the directions for the tranny mount they show, detailed, instruction on where to cut the original mount. If you arent using the stock exhaust hanger you do NOT have to do the modification. Im using it, so out comes the grinder. I make my marks on the mount and fire up the Makita....Opps, the Step daughter has school in the morning.
No grinding tonite. :frown:

Its early and Im in the working mood. So I decide the rear seat needs to come out. It was old and dry rotted and had alot of cracks in it. It looked good when I got the car, but then I touched the back while cleaning the window. Man that stuff breaks apart like no other!!
I got ahold of my friend and he said his mom does upholstery, so I called JAX and got their rear seat covers. They look very nice and Ill have pix of the install after I get em back.
115581863.jpg

115581869.jpg

That did no take long at all. So I hit the CD changer and good ole Audioslave kicks it up (the first album)
Im looking around the garage and trying to decide what to do next. I could clean it...Nahh its not too hateful. I then remembered I had Kirbans rear sear X brace. Hell yeah!!
So I dig threw my asortment of goodies and drag out the bars. Nowhere is the hardware, so the search for the bolts and instructions begins. I quickly stumble onto my Metco DS loop, behold inside the box, the directions for the X brace.
VIOLA!!! Its time to drill!!
As Im lining up the holes and braces, Im wondering if the drill is to loud...Ah heck, its only 5 holes to drill. So I quickly line em up and drill away. The whole process goes without a hitch. Although drilling the bottom holes requires a SHARP bit and a steady hand. At first my bit was wanting to walk all around. So I changed bits and pressed a bit harder. BAM, holes were done.
115581880.jpg

115581892.jpg

I alomst started the Metco DS Loop, but that requires removal of the Drive shaft. Since I have that out.....Does this ever stop???? :eek:

Looks like it almost track time!

I also did the Energy Suspension body mounts when I did all the stuff you are doing. Big improvement since the factory only uses about half the mount locations.

BTW...did you put a two tone paint job on your coupe? Looks good :)

KevinB said:
Looks like it almost track time!

I also did the Energy Suspension body mounts when I did all the stuff you are doing. Big improvement since the factory only uses about half the mount locations.

BTW...did you put a two tone paint job on your coupe? Looks good :)

Track time? Id be happy with "out of garage time" ;)
If I start doing the body mounts, Im afraid of what will happen. I dont even want to mess with that snowball.:biggrin: Although, Im sure Ill get around to it one day.
Thanks. Bo from Middletown hooked it up. If you need anything painted, hes the man!! It will be at E2O on Saturday racing in the Street Stick class.

Are you going to try for that 10 sec ET again? Saturday would be the night, they actually prep the line before each round!

Side note. I got a price estimate on re-doing the rear seats....$300 FN DOLLARS!!!!! :mad: I guess Im going to have to call her direct and explain I DO NOT need the covers made, I have those. I just need em installed. If $300 is the going rate, I guess I can add "Seat Re coverer" to my resume.

More to come,
Craig

Im sore as hell. This car is kickin my A$$!!!
But, Iam making progress. :) Im too tired to type, so Ill just copy and paste.

I will mention that I took a few comparison shots.

Take care,
Craig

115686396.jpg

115686398.jpg

115686402.jpg

115686406.jpg

115686409.jpg

115686421.jpg

115686412.jpg

115686415.jpg

115686488.jpg

I got my injectors coming (42's) now all I need is a Chip...I hope :confused:

Those would be Poston. They were out of the Cross-over pipes when I ordered, so I got one through Kirbans. Both seem to fit fine. :)