You can type here any text you want

I'm soo done....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok. So I take my 98 GS to ZZPerformance, for a few bolt ons, and a dyno tune.
I wanted them to install my new manifolds, new fuel pump, injectors, high ratio rockers, pulley, and dyno tune the whole thing.
9 hours later, they ask me what kind of gas I got in this thing, because they couldn't find the source of my knock. I said it's 93 man. So they ask "well what do you want us to do" I said tune my car so that it doesn't knock, that's what!

So after leaving the place, the valve on the bottom of my fuel cannister is stuck shut, starving my car of fuel, the o ring in my fuel pump is pinched, so it leaks fuel, the valve covers leak oil, the exhaust now leaks, and it was given an 8.8:1 tune, with 11 degrees of timing lol.
I take it back (2.5 hour drive) and they un**** the fuel pump issue. I ask them to fix the exhaust leak to. They said they did. I drove away, and it was the same... I said ****it....
So then I order some Moog cargo coils for the car. To stiffen up the ride. I throw the rears on, and they're soo tall, the bottom three coils are stacked up tight against each other. They don't fit. I have a local shop put the fronts on, and they raised the cars height by 4 inches. So now my car looks like it's half way up, doing a wheelstand..... So I go back to stock...again.
The car rides like a boat, so I order new monroe struts. Put them on, and they change nothing.
Every time I go over a small bump, I hear many rattles up front, as if every single component on my front end is loose. (It's all new) I was told it was strut mounts. After my research, I came up with the same thing. The shop replaces them, and the rattle goes nowhere. 500 dollars later.
I put on aftermarket sway bars, and they squeak like a 1977 New Yorker, with 555,000 miles on it.
My car, with all the aftermarket stuff on it, is no better than it was, right out of the factory....

So I order a test pipe from gbodyparts.com. I ask them SPECIFICALLY, if they had any 14" pipes. I asked if they can go back and measure it. They said they did, and that it was 14 inches on the nose. I get it, and it's 17 & 3/8ths inch. Yea.. Thanks. And now I can't modify it, because it's chrome. Why you would chrome a test pipe is beyond me. What, is your exhaust chrome too? No? How 'bout your down pipe. Is that chrome too?? NO? THEN WHY!!!!..... ugh...
I lose every time. I can now see, that if you don't do it yourself, you're SCREWED. I mean, ****ed!!
I bet you there's no exhaust leaks on the guys car, that installed my parts at zzperformance....
People are so worthless it's not even funny.

We are LUCKY to havesuch a great shop in our neighborhood. GN Northwest in Everett, WA has got to be the best bunch of people I have ever worked with. I have been towing cars to repair shops for more than 20 years and by far these are the most honest hard working guy's you have ever met.

I am sorry you seem to get bent over everytime you get your car worked on. But I am sure somewhere near you are a bunch of guy's who do it for the love of the car.
I hope you find them....

Jeez, what a story. Never seen such bad luck happen so much to one guy. You have my sympathy. I'm glad I don't live in your area. You got one thing absolutley right, and it's been my motto for years: If you want something right, do it yourself. Can't get much simpler than that. Ask me how I learned this. Yep, same crap you went through.

So I do everything to my cars myself, because I know it's done right, or I'll stick with it until it's done right. I know for a fact most of the guys here on this board do the same thing. They do most of the work themselves, because they can't trust the "experts" at the shop to do it right.

No one in the profession wants to do a good job anymore, even for the outrageous prices they charge. I've saved thousands of dollars in repairs on my cars, thousands. My wife loves me to death for fixing all the cars with the right parts, and the job is done right. You can learn this the hard way like I did, or face the timeless frustrations trying to find a pro to fix your problem the right way.....which are far and few between.

There are people out there that can really fix your car the right way.....your main problem is FINDING them..

Again, your story is painful to read. Wish you the best, buddy.

Bruce '87 Grand National

So after leaving the place, the valve on the bottom of my fuel cannister is stuck shut, starving my car of fuel, the o ring in my fuel pump is pinched, so it leaks fuel, the valve covers leak oil, the exhaust now leaks, and it was given an 8.8:1 tune, with 11 degrees of timing lol.
I take it back (2.5 hour drive) and they un**** the fuel pump issue. I ask them to fix the exhaust leak to. They said they did. I drove away, and it was the same... I said ****it....

That is why I do my own work. And not just cars..... everything. I figure, why give someone my hard earn money to screw something up? I can screw it up myself for free:D

...So I do everything to my cars myself, because I know it's done right, or I'll stick with it until it's done right...

I agree. If I mess up, it's my own fault. Frustrating sometimes, but rewarding once its fixed, plus these boards have really helpful people on it if you ask a question.

Oh yea, one more thing. I sent turbo to precision turbo, for a rebuild, and they didn't even put an O ring on the compressor housing lol. Looks like I'm going to have to take a class in that too..... I love this. I think sometimes, I'm just an experiment to the government. Secretly, they place operatives around me, to observe and study me under stress. Then, when I try to do something, they **** me, to note my reactions. lol.

That is why I do my own work. And not just cars..... everything. I figure, why give someone my hard earn money to screw something up? I can screw it up myself for free:D

I don't know that it's FREE when I F something up, but I definitely see your point. I might as well experiment with my own shi---...stuff, rather than let someone else. It's more fun this way?

So I had a gatorback belt put on, during that work a few months back. It was twice as much as the plain old standard issue belts. It's already tore... Great...
The stocker lasted 70,000 miles. The new high speed aftermarket version, lasted 4 months... outstanding...

Just had a local shop do the heater core. 450 bucks. Heat works now, and no more windshield fog, but now it's leaking all over the place... hehehhehehehehehhehehehehheehheheheh

Yea.. I think this Celexa (anti depressant) is working... I'd have already tied some 550 cord around my neck, and jumped from my upstairs window by now....

HA HA! That's the same way I think. Why take my car to a shop, not have it all day, and pay out a weeks pay. And yeah, the wife loves it. If I had to pay to have everything done just on the vehicles I would be broke and in the hole. Example: The shop I used to work at wanted 250 bucks just to throw and idler and pitman on my truck. I wrastled that pitman for a good 3 hours and dealt with old parts stripping threads, but I got it done, and I had an extra 250 in my pocket. I don't have a whole lot of extra money all the time so it definitely helps. I just don't do exhaust work unless I have to-it sucks.

HA HA! That's the same way I think. Why take my car to a shop, not have it all day, and pay out a weeks pay. And yeah, the wife loves it. If I had to pay to have everything done just on the vehicles I would be broke and in the hole. Example: The shop I used to work at wanted 250 bucks just to throw and idler and pitman on my truck. I wrastled that pitman for a good 3 hours and dealt with old parts stripping threads, but I got it done, and I had an extra 250 in my pocket. I don't have a whole lot of extra money all the time so it definitely helps. I just don't do exhaust work unless I have to-it sucks.

Now that's the spirit, buddy. That's the way to go. You stuck with it until you got it done right. All that money you saved yourself. Great! It's a real good feeling you feel after you finish the job knowing you did it yourself, saved a lot of cash. Great feeling, isn't it! Way to go. You've got the exact right attitude. You stick with that attitude and you'll find yourself with a LOT of extra money lying around that you can use for other more important things (like nice gifts for your wife at Christmas or your children)

I've always thought if GM can put it together, I can take it apart and fix it. It works for me and I'm glad to see you accomplished a tough job yourself.

Right now, I'm replacing the injectors in my '88 Jeep. Replacing all plugs, wires, rotor, cap, etc. The dealer wanted $1700 to just replace the fuel injectors.:eek: They told me the fuel rail costs $650 new. I checked my rail and it's fine. I sent out the injectors to be cleaned, new parts, flowed, tested and they are on the way back now....total cost for injector cleaning/rebuilding: $124. Total cost for expensive wires, plugs, cap, rotor, air filter: $98. Total:$222. Little expensive, but better than paying out $1700 for injector replacement alone. I haven't done ignition wire replacement, rotor, cap, in 7 years. Plugs about 3 years ago.

Good job there. Keep it up and you'll be really pleased with yourself. Then you won't have to take anti depressants like some of us do.:wink:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I forgot to add I have to replace the intake manifold on my wife's '99 Buick Lesabre Limited. The shops around here want $750-$900 for the job. I ordered a new intake manifold recently for $120. Plus the cost of some DexCool, so I'm saving a substantial sum of money here.

I'm replacing, this week, the whole master bath sink, cabinet under it, doing the plumbing, and some tiles. Imagine what a professional would charge....since I have the confidence in myself to do this, we are saving a lot....and it sure is making my wonderful Shirley happy:) She's so happy getting a remodeled bath. That's what's so important to me, making her happy by trying to do things nice and right. My point is, again....try and do the job yourself and save cash. I believe truly that ANYONE can do ANYTHING if they put their mind to it.....I also truly think everyone on this board can do almost anything, maybe even build a space shuttle!:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I've always done as much as I can. I've done a lot of stuff in my small 2 stall garage. I can't do a whole lot of home projects even though my step dad was constantly doing remodeling projects when I was growing up, didn't grasp onto that well I guess:rolleyes: But even though I may not know what I'm doing I at least try. It might take twice as long, tear it down and start over a few times, but my time is free and the wife just squeals with excitement every time something is done in the house. The sad thing is I actually tried paying a family member to come over and work on my house. He just came back here and had no work. Didn't want my money (100 bucks a day) and didn't want to do the work:rolleyes:

I think sometimes, I'm just an experiment to the government. Secretly, they place operatives around me, to observe and study me under stress. Then, when I try to do something, they **** me, to note my reactions. lol.

That's some funny sh*t...

Yeah there are a lot of those operatives, they're researching how far they can push, regulate, and tax the American public before they snap like dry twigs...they're recording every move you make buddy, and mine too...oh, and they all have job security, paid vacations and million dollar government pensions they earn just making us miserable, lol

Hope this doesn't push you over the edge! :biggrin:

Man I can feel for you. I do EVERYTHING on cars, boats, planes houses, landscaping, flooring, plumbing, roofing, painting, ect. The only thing I don;t do on cars is transmissions because I have one of the BEST guys here locally that does them for me at a fraction of what other charge and he stands behind ALL his work. Body work is also one of my weaknesses. I "can" do it, but after 6 shoulder surgeries, I can't take it for very long. I just don't trust anyone to do things for me. I just had to dig up my front yard and fix a broken water main. I hated doing it, but it probably saved me $3,500+. The same day we had a broken back glass on our Tahoe. Fixed that the next day. (Still cost me $500 for the glass:mad:) I've done just about everyting on cars, boats, and planes/jets. I guess I am one of those lucky guys with a God given talent that allows me to do these things. If I'm not building someting, I'm NOT happy. Someday when my body gives out, I don't know what I'm going to do. (and that day seems to be approaching RAPIDLY:mad:)

Try and find someone that can mentor you on how to do the work yourself. I would be more than happy to let you hang out while I wrench. I'd rather teach you to do it than have to rely on me to do it for you. (that way you can fix it when I screwed it up.;)):biggrin:

If I'm not building someting, I'm NOT happy.
Try and find someone that can mentor you on how to do the work yourself. I would be more than happy to let you hang out while I wrench. I'd rather teach you to do it than have to rely on me to do it for you. (that way you can fix it when I screwed it up.;)):biggrin:

You too huh?
The biggest reward in teaching someone is watching them do it right.
That's why I always "over teach".
Then they understand how and why things go together the way they do.
That tends to translate to other areas/jobs later on.
They can actually think things through for themselves and get unstuck.
Then I'm really proud of them.:)

I've always done as much as I can. I've done a lot of stuff in my small 2 stall garage. I can't do a whole lot of home projects even though my step dad was constantly doing remodeling projects when I was growing up, didn't grasp onto that well I guess:rolleyes: But even though I may not know what I'm doing I at least try. It might take twice as long, tear it down and start over a few times, but my time is free and the wife just squeals with excitement every time something is done in the house. The sad thing is I actually tried paying a family member to come over and work on my house. He just came back here and had no work. Didn't want my money (100 bucks a day) and didn't want to do the work:rolleyes:

A HUNDRED BUCKS a day????!?!?!:eek: Geez!!! My best friend paid me $2.00 a hour to help him put up vinyl siding on his house!! He lives 55 miles from me one way and gas wasn't cheap! I worked 10 hours a day, 7 days a week for two and one half weeks! You do the math. I made enough to make one house payment and the rest went into gas! Some best friend,huh? Geeze, where do I find these people? Gotta stop being nice.

Man, I wish I was your family member!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Man I can feel for you. I do EVERYTHING on cars, boats, planes houses, landscaping, flooring, plumbing, roofing, painting, ect. The only thing I don;t do on cars is transmissions because I have one of the BEST guys here locally that does them for me at a fraction of what other charge and he stands behind ALL his work. Body work is also one of my weaknesses. I "can" do it, but after 6 shoulder surgeries, I can't take it for very long. I just don't trust anyone to do things for me. I just had to dig up my front yard and fix a broken water main. I hated doing it, but it probably saved me $3,500+. The same day we had a broken back glass on our Tahoe. Fixed that the next day. (Still cost me $500 for the glass:mad:) I've done just about everyting on cars, boats, and planes/jets. I guess I am one of those lucky guys with a God given talent that allows me to do these things. If I'm not building someting, I'm NOT happy. Someday when my body gives out, I don't know what I'm going to do. (and that day seems to be approaching RAPIDLY:mad:)

Ken, you have an admirer here...you're known as a "Jack of all trades." That is a rare talent, so good for you. 6 shoulder surgeries!!:eek: I can see why you hate doing some things. But look at it this way, some day you'll be dead and it won't bother you at all anymore.:D:p:tongue:

Hang in there, Ken, I'm sure there's a lot more life in you, just stay active, active, active, even if it kills you. It's what I do, but I bitch all of the time about my darn bad back with those two ruptured discs, I mean they kill me. I love being active, but the pain is just excruciating sometimes I can't move for days on end. Sigh.:( (The price of gettin' old.) But I'm glad I'm alive. It would be hard for me to fix cars, mow my lawn if I were dead, so I count my blessings, pain and all. I just say "screw it, don't worry about it, just do it."

Bruce '87 Grand National

A little more for Bruce:

Grand Prixs Of North America • View topic - LIM Gaskets questions...

These engines are notorious for it.
I should have been a little clearer in my last post.:)

Hey, Kid, thank you. Appreciate the info. I have been aware of this problem for quite a while. I just hope I don't have to take off the lower intake, only the top. From a lot of research, they have pointed out that the coolant leak takes place where the EGR tube goes into the front bottom of the upper intake manifold, as the heat melts the plastic there causing a leak. That's where I found it. BUT......:frown: I noticed some coolant on the lower intake manifold by the injectors. I HOPE this is from the lower seal of the upper intake manifold.

Thanks for the information here.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back