Info on GTA wheels

justabuickv6

Info on GTA wheels

Does anyone know a lot about the 87-92 GTA wheels?

There are obvious differences. IE with or without the dimples.

Does the dimples signify early or late model? Or where there two manufacturers?

Info on GTA wheels

Dimples are on the later wheels, '89-up. Same wheel manufacturer for both, JWC

I got a few questions about the GTA wheels as well. What are the skinniest tires I can fit on the front. Also, with a 5/8" spacer, and extended lugs, do the rears on the front cause any issues?

Info on GTA wheels

--------------------
Same manufacturer, but different manufacturing processes. 1 is a 1 piece design, and the other is a 2 piece design, dunno which is which.

Here is what I have gathered. Ya'll help me fill in the blanks.

And please offer more if you know.

Pontiac GTA rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
GTA rims were available only in 16x8.
The Pontiac GTA’s came fitted with these rims from 87-92.
GTA 87-88 are the non-dimpled 1 piece design.
GTA 89-92 are the dimpled 2 piece design.
The GTA’s are marked “front” and “rear”.
Front offset:
Rear offset:

Buick GNX rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
GNX rims were available in 16x8.
Buick GNX came fitted with these rims in 1987.
The GNX are marked “OFF-15” for the fronts and “OFF-23” for the rears. Both front and rear also have the marking of “8JJX16”.
Front offset:
Rear offset:

You already have part of the info you want. The markings on the GNX wheels are the offset. 15mm for the fronts, and 23 for the rears.

I got a few questions about the GTA wheels as well. What are the skinniest tires I can fit on the front. Also, with a 5/8" spacer, and extended lugs, do the rears on the front cause any issues?

So you are wanting to run the 2 fronts in the rears, and the 2 rears in the front.

8UWITH6 did it on his t-type with a 7 1/16 spacer, stock lug studs, and a knurled down acorn style lug nut.
The wheels fit fine, no side to side rubbing unless the car was lowered in the weeds.
Send him a PM if you like or visit his webpage

ttypegtarims

BW

Sorry,you Are Incorrect

Here is what I have gathered. Ya'll help me fill in the blanks.

And please offer more if you know.

Manufacturer info:
GTA 87-88 are the non-dimpled 1 piece design.
GTA 89-92 are the dimpled 2 piece design.
Front offset:
Rear offset:

Manufacturer info:
The GNX are marked “OFF-15” for the fronts and “OFF-23” for the rears. Both front and rear also have the marking of “8JJX16”.
Front offset:
Rear offset:

DIMPLED ARE ONE PIECE / NON=DIMPLED ARE TWO PIECE.
I HAVE BOTH TYPES AND CAN SEND PHOTOS IF YOU NEED PROOF.;)

I sure wish I could edit these post instead of having to do it all over again.

Updated

Manufacturer info:
GTA 86-88 are the non-dimpled 2 piece design.
GTA 89-92 are the dimpled 1 piece design.
Front offset:
Front backspacing: 4.75”
Rear offset
Rear backspacing: 5.25”
Notes: It has been stated that the dimpled style is more desirable. The reason GM made the dimpled style was because the non dimpled style center hub was weak and was prone to cracking. In addition, 4 fronts are more desirable due to the offset.

Manufacturer info:
All GNX rims were not dimpled and were a 2 piece design.
Front offset: 15mm
Front backspacing: 3 15/16”
Rear offset: 23mm
Rear backspacing: 3 9/16”

Updated:

Pontiac GTA (Gran Turismo Americano) rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
The Pontiac GTA’s came fitted with these rims from 87-92 under the RPO code Y84. This option included the PW7 Diamond Spoke Wheels.
GTA 87 are the non-dimpled 2 piece design.
GTA 88-92 are the dimpled 1 piece design. In 88, the PW7 (GTA) rims had a design change. It has been stated that the dimpled style are more desirable. The reason GM made the dimpled style was because the non dimpled style center hub was weak and was prone to cracking.
Front offset:
Rear offset
Weight: 15 lbs with no center cap
Notes: In addition, 4 fronts are more desirable due to the offset. For those individuals that have the rears, most use the “fronts” in the rear and the “rears” in the front. A spacer may be needed in the rear.

Manufacturer info:
Weight:

I thought I read in another thread that the non-dimpled wheels sometimes cracked if there was too much power put to the wheels. I've been looking for the dimpled ones but I don't really mind going with a 5/8" space and longer lugs.

The reason GM made the dimpled style was because the non dimpled style center hub was weak and was prone to cracking.

I welcome everyones comments and additions. As far as I know, this stuff has been documented very well. I am trying to piece it all together.

It will be a living document. Meaning I will update it as I continue to receive info.

Also, just since today, I have received some info but its contradicts what others are saying. I don't want to post anything until I can try to check it out.

If anyone knows of a great website where this has been discussed, please let me know.

Thanks Ormand and JR...David

More info.

Pontiac GTA (Gran Turismo Americano) rim manufacturer: JWC
Manufacturer info:
The Pontiac GTA’s (RPO code Y84) came fitted with these rims from 87-92. The 16x8 diamond spoke wheels were RPO code PW7.
GTA 87 are the non-dimpled 2 piece design. Marking on the 87 wheel are on the spokes themselves and not the hub. You will see “8JJX16”, “OFF 00” (for the front) “HH”, “Japan”, “Mold4” and an “87” date.
GTA 88-92 are the dimpled 1 piece design. In 88, the PW7 (GTA) rims had a design change. It has been stated that the dimpled style are more desirable. The reason GM made the dimpled style was because the non dimpled style center hub was weak and was prone to cracking. Marking on the 88-92 wheel are on the hub and not the spokes. “Front Only”, “8JJX16”, “89”, “3.16”, “Japan”, and “UM”.
Front offset:
Rear offset
Weight: 15 lbs with no center cap
Notes: In addition, 4 fronts are more desirable due to the offset. For those individuals that have the rears, most use the “fronts” in the rear and the “rears” in the front. A spacer may be needed in the rear.
*************************************************************************************
Manufacturer info:
Weight:

Thanks for posting that info!

Guys, just send all the non-dimpled rims to me. I'll gladly take them off your hands. And since they are unsafe I'm sure you'll just give them to me. :D :p

Jwc...

Speaking of JWC wheels, I looked on the net for a website, but they don't seem to have one...I haven't been able to find anything whatsoever about them...strange, isn't it? Does someone know a little more about them?

Thanks,

Claude :redface:

Update

Update

Pontiac GTA rim manufacturer: JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel)
Manufacturer info: JAWA | Objective
GTA 86-88 are the non-dimpled 2 piece design.
GTA 89-92 are the dimpled 1 piece design.
Front offset:
Rear offset
Notes: It has been stated that the dimpled style is more desirable. The reason GM made the dimpled style was because the non dimpled style center hub was weak and was prone to cracking. In addition, 4 fronts are more desirable due to the offset.

If you run 12" brakes in front, rears will actually fit better than ftonts, due to the 3/8" increase in track width per side of 12" brakes.

or

2: If you plan on having the front wheels narrowed, for drag racing or a big/little look, the "rears" will work better if narrowed than "fronts".

Buick GNX rim manufacturer: JWL (Japan Light Alloy Wheel)
Manufacturer info: JAWA | Objective