You can type here any text you want

Install new cam sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

Building new engine, had all machine work done and running a new comp cam roller camshaft. New after market HV front cover, before installing front cover did some blueprinting of oil passages and also made sure the cam sensor installed properly and lined up with the oilpump shaft without any issues. Cam sensor could be pushed in with normal resistance from o-ring as expected.

Anyway got everything back together, cam with proper end clearence etc.

Trying to install the cam sensor (without using any force at the moment and also turning the engine slightly to alighn gears) I only get it down so far (all of o-ring down and a bit more) but can seem to push it down carfully wiht my hand any longer ....

Do I need to push really hard on it to get it all the way down or do I have some other issues????

Sounds like the oil pump shaft isn't lined up with the cam sensor.

I don't know if this link to this website will help you in any way but might be worth a look at the cam sensor installation procedure.

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

I've never had to apply a lot of force on the sensor to install it.

Sounds like the oil pump shaft isn't lined up with the cam sensor.

I don't know if this link to this website will help you in any way but might be worth a look at the cam sensor installation procedure.

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

I've never had to apply a lot of force on the sensor to install it.

I'm putting the cam sensor in before putting the oil pump shaft in there as it's easier to get the two to line up that way.

So not sure why it seems hard to press it down, I know the gears neads to engage and line up of course but should not require too much force I hope????

Thanks for the link, been using that site a lot, really usefull information up there.

I hear of people shimming the cam sensor, never have myself. Also some aftermarket covers arent always (shall we say) perfect with the alignment. If its only 1/16 " out or less try a little wee bit of pressure very slowly! If nothing you may need a shim? Put some dye or marker on the gears to see how they are meshing. Should give you a good idea.

Back