installed new walbro pump,now bat. dead

Madmustard

car is an 84 gn.either has a 86- 87 intercooled motor or had the conversion done before i bought it.Everything was fine-no problems.Switched to a New walbro pump,regulator etc. now my battery is dead.Bought new battery-ran elec test and cant proceed to check elec system b/c says "noise in the system".But everything was off w/ out key in ignition.so does anybody know how to tell if I have a short in the system from the fuel pump.?I used the wiring pigtail provided in the pump but maybe I pinched a wire-but I was carefull and dont believe i did...

So my question is :1.Is the wiring different on an 84 gn vs 86 and 87 and how do i tell if this was switched or not in this conversion?
2. I checked the elec wiring with the car off with a test light-no current being drawn at wiring harness to pump at back of gas tank. checked with the key on-no current to the pump.With the car started and running obviously there is current...

HELP!.Car also noticeably has a miss at idle.Miss while being driven.And completely cuts out when floored.Fuel press is 45#s with vac line off at idle.

car is an 84 gn.either has a 86- 87 intercooled motor or had the conversion done before i bought it.Everything was fine-no problems.Switched to a New walbro pump,regulator etc. now my battery is dead.Bought new battery-ran elec test and cant proceed to check elec system b/c says "noise in the system".But everything was off w/ out key in ignition.so does anybody know how to tell if I have a short in the system from the fuel pump.?I used the wiring pigtail provided in the pump but maybe I pinched a wire-but I was carefull and dont believe i did...

So my question is :1.Is the wiring different on an 84 gn vs 86 and 87 and how do i tell if this was switched or not in this conversion?
2. I checked the elec wiring with the car off with a test light-no current being drawn at wiring harness to pump at back of gas tank. checked with the key on-no current to the pump.With the car started and running obviously there is current...

HELP!.Car also noticeably has a miss at idle.Miss while being driven.And completely cuts out when floored.Fuel press is 45#s with vac line off at idle.
A couple of points, there is no reason to switch any wiring for the fuel pump during the conversion. The only difference in the 85/87 fuel wiring is the hanger itself. The harness on top of the tank and the pump are the same. I'm assuming that you still have an 85 hanger assembly. My suggestion; take the tank back down, using the original wires on the harness, change the connectors on the wires to fit the new pump then test before putting back in tank. With the connectors attached to the pump and the harness connected, turn the key on and make sure the pump comes on. Just a guess here but it sounds like when you attached the pump's new harness you may have not gotten the ground right or the hot is grounded against metal on the hanger. More likely it's the ground wire, this would cause the pump to drop out causing the poor running condition you described. Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed instruction on pump wiring.

what should the volts be at the wiring harness near the outside of the gas tank ( near the rear bumper area) while car running?

Should i not have used the black and red wiring harness(aprox 6 inches long) that was supplied w the walbro pump to avoid cutting any wires??

Funny how one thing leads to another with these cars. :rolleyes:

I doubt the fuel pump has anything to do with battery going dead.

A simple test light will show draw. Remove the neg cable from the batt and use the light in between cable and batt. If it lights up, your drawing.

First thing I would do, unplug the fan relays one at a time. Watch the light while doing so.

HTH

has the hotwire kit.But i completely eliminated the pump by disconnecting the stock wiring to pump and the hotwire kit.No draw to pump when key off either.
Thanks to turborick for the info!Definately has a draw.May have found it.Alternator after starting and shutting car off was humming...... disconnected the wire to alt. under 10mm nut and test light went off.Alt is being checked.So hopefully its that or wiring to it!!!

Thats probably why it killed my battery too..Car would cut out under load and fall on its face.Maybe the stator in alt?

Will keep you guys posted-THANKS!-NATE