Installing CK shift kit blue accumulator springs

PaulRV6

Has anyone else installed these optional small blue 1-2 / 3-4 accumulator springs? They go under the piston then the larger springs go on top of the piston. Working from underneath the car is a real workout trying to push the separator plate and accumulator plate up enough to get the plate on, then to have to push the 1-2 accum housing up to get that bolted in is really tough. These springs are really loaded up after getting them bolted in. I just hope this is not too much and I have to remove everything to take the blue springs out.
Anyone have recent experience with this on either installation or driveability?
Thanks

paul

Chris at ck, can you address?

Something can't be right with this. It feels like the 1-2 accumulator housing bolts are going to strip, I have the setting on 14 ft-lbs and one of them just feels too tight and may strip. I still wonder about the spring tension on the two accumulators if that is right. I don't have a good feeling. I guess I will call Chris if no one else has put his kit in recently.

paul

press housing down and tighten the bolts.There is no need to strip anything.You are overtightening the bolts as well.110 to 120 lbs.inch max.

what kind of torque wrench? the cheap ones are crappy at the top end of their scale and unusable at the bottom end.

I have a timing cover/oil pump that I stripped the threads out of because of this......

BTW, Richard Clark has a nifty torque wrench tester...

Bob

I will back down the torque to 110-120 lb-in. It is a good and fairly new wrench so I am not worried it is off. I was tightening them to 14 ft-lbs (168 in-lbs) per the ASTG manual but it sounds like it is too much.

Chris, so the spring stack up should not be an issue? This has been done many times in the past or is this a brand new addition to the kit?

paul

Ok Chris, thanks for the response. Just wanted to check about the installation with the double springs, it made me concerned. But this is good to know.

paul

Have you got the trans back together? Have you driven it yet? Any issues? Thanks for the feedback.

paul

CK Shift Kit

I have installed two of the CK Shift kits w/ the Small Blue shim Springs and about to do a third kit. The first one I left the small Accum. Springs out
(2400 converter)...nice quick firm shift.
The second Kit I Installed the springs and it has a firmer shift and is very quick shifting (2800 Stall) I am going to install the springs in the first one when I change the fluid.
I will also install the springs in the 80TTA I have with the 200 4R.

Installing the accum. housing will require a firm palm and a free hand to snug bolts and then torque down...do not pull accum. housing to case with the bolts.