You can type here any text you want

Interesting results from a SD2 chip from Nick Micale

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yep.
That's a big step up, considering I watched Jim Ruggles dyno several stock, out of the crate 87 engines. 290+ at the FW.

Interested to see AFR with each, and timing. Something has to be different. If it is running the same AFR and timing the power will be the same. This thread is going to make some of the novice owners by an SD2 chip, and get poor results expecting 30hp.

I'm guessing there are likely several reasons for the jump in performance. Keeping in mind the previous tune was on a performance chip of some sort. There just isn't much in the way of tuning that can be done on a normal buick performance chip. You have limited control over timing and fuel.
Jump into the SD2 realm and now you have complete control over timing over the entire load/rpm range, and the same is true for AFR. With the three large 17 x 17 tables available (target afr, timing, VE) there's a huge variety of ways to attack the hp gains.

Last edited:
I'm guessing there are likely several reasons for the jump in performance. Keeping in mind the previous tune was on a performance chip of some sort. There just isn't much in the way of tuning that can be done on a normal buick performance chip. You have limited control over timing and fuel.
Jump into the SD2 realm and now you have complete control over timing over the entire load/rpm range, and the same is true for AFR. With the three large 17 x 17 tables available (target afr, timing, VE) there's a huge variety of ways to attack the hp gains.
I agree, but the average owner that doesn't understand this will think this is a 30 to 40 hp add on, just like looking through a Summit catalog. Tuning with SD is awesome. Being able to tune with boost is the way to go.
Not saying the SD2 chip isn't great, I am going to use one in my Coupe Deville instead of an XFI. It isn't for the entry level owner.

Last edited:
Well yes SD tuning definitely is not for the novice! But the variety of data points available is what makes extracting more power available. It's the beauty of SD tuning, but also what makes it so difficult to grasp for some. I'm still learning myself after several years of playing with SD.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Well yes SD tuning definitely is not for the novice! But the variety of data points available is what makes extracting more power available. It's the beauty of SD tuning, but also what makes it so difficult to grasp for some. I'm still learning myself after several years of playing with SD.

Dave, your comments in this thread are right on the mark! :)

The thought of a new TR owner is going right out and install/tune a SD2 chip is remote, and would not be smart.

Even though the subject car has a stock engine and turbo, we have added and upgraded other mandatory parts to support this power level.

Like you stated, tuning the SD2, or any system, requires a learning curve which will never end.

The ability to start out at a level way above a fixed chip program, and the added feature of instantaneous A/F and timing corrections is not only a power adder, but a major help in preventing engine damage.

The beauty of the SD2 chip and the Power Logger is receiving all the advantages without the expense of a complete aftermarket ECM and wiring harness.

The XFI in my race car will allow much more flexibility and capability for competitive track use which I cannot obtain with the SD2.

My point is that between the stock ECM/chip and the XFI, the SD2 and PL fills a void for the owners that SAFELY and inexpensively wants more out of their GN!

I do want to add that a very good friend of mine locally is a expert tuner in various types of aftermarket systems, and he has spent many hours tuning this SD2 car so we can be able to set up and provide the hardware with a basic program for our customers, and we will support them as needed. :cool:

^^^^^^That's good stuff. I wonder what the GM engineers from back in the day would say to what's being done with a stock ECM these days? It's incredible.

Back