intermittent starting problem

nwarky

My GN has developed an intermittent starting problem that I need some help in pinpointing before I start replacing parts. On occasion when starting it won't. Turn the key and absolutely no response at all. No clicking from the starter solenoid. Headlights still strong when this happens. Battery is good. Original everything in the starting system except the battery. What is your vote? Battery cable? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch at the base of the steering column? Car will eventually start for no apparent reason when tried again with nothing being done. Will occur when stone cold after sitting overnight or upon restart (such as after gassing up or some similar convenient moment). In all honesty the biggest problem is I have lost confidence in the car starting and this prevents me from driving it except under very limited situations. Ideas? Thanks for sharing.

Dean

My GN has developed an intermittent starting problem that I need some help in pinpointing before I start replacing parts. On occasion when starting it won't. Turn the key and absolutely no response at all. No clicking from the starter solenoid. Headlights still strong when this happens. Battery is good. Original everything in the starting system except the battery. What is your vote? Battery cable? Starter solenoid? Ignition switch at the base of the steering column? Car will eventually start for no apparent reason when tried again with nothing being done. Will occur when stone cold after sitting overnight or upon restart (such as after gassing up or some similar convenient moment). In all honesty the biggest problem is I have lost confidence in the car starting and this prevents me from driving it except under very limited situations. Ideas? Thanks for sharing.

Dean
Ill guess....

Ignition switch at the base of the steering column

Sounds like the switch to me as well...you could verify its not a solenoid with one of those underhood starter switches if you have one...or maybe borrow one.

If it is too infrequent to diagnose I would change the switch, easiest and cheapest.

Maybe it's time to replace the starter. I ran into this issue years ago. Same symptoms. I thought it was the factory security system but it was fine, checked all the other possible issues and finally decided to try the solenoid. Still same issues. Finally, pulled the starter and benched it and it tested fine. Installed in the car and it worked intermittently. Finally, got sick of fooling with it and used it as an excuse to buy a mini starter. It worked perfectly and was a pleasure to install after working with that stock monster that weighed a ton. Never had an issue since. Might be worth looking into...

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=112&osCsid=2273d99cd31c80bbf6956b744e12222e

Good Luck

Dean

How do you finally get it to start? One thing you may try when it happens is to tap the starter with a hammer. If you have a bad spot on the armature or worn brushes this will usually let the brushes make contact again and it will start. If this is it replace the starter? Bruce

Dean
Try grabbing the collar behind the steering wheel and rotate it a bit. Maybe the neutral safety rod is not getting pushed far enough.

Thanks for the posts and the ideas. These intermittent electrical problems are not fun.
Dean