Irwindale Speedway appears to be closing

yup my wh1, hope to have it here soon. its still in AZ

nice are u having work done by RJC? I have always thought about getting my hands on one of then! they just sold one in AZ sure u seen it for 2800 roller with trans. What slick or dr ur running on ur t-type rims?

nice are u having work done by RJC? I have always thought about getting my hands on one of then! they just sold one in AZ sure u seen it for 2800 roller with trans. What slick or dr ur running on ur t-type rims?

damn 2800 for a roller. how did i miss that? anyways i have run the MT Street Radials and the MT Slicks. i think im going to stick with the slicks and run a BFG on the street. anyways she turns a ok #.

Damn, sucks if they are closing it. My car is just about in to track worthy shape.... guess there still is Fontana every once in a while...

Very sad.
Growing up in So Cal, the home of drag racing. I remember complaining that I had to drive ALMOST 20 minutes every Wedsday night to go to my home track (OCIR). If I didn't go there, I could choose from at least five other tracks to go to with in an hour drive. How good we (I) had it, and didn't even realize it. I look back on my drag racing youth as "The good old days". The unfortunate truth will be when we look back on today as "The good old days", when we could actually drive a hot rod on the public highway in So Cal, without setting off an alarm for doing it, and immediately being arested as a public nuicance. At this point, we should be glad that at least we can go to Fontana at 5:00 AM. Get teched, and be able to get in a run at 2:00 PM. Or attend their once every year and a half, track rental. When this last track closes, and there has been talk. It will be the end of being able to legally run the quarter mile in a street car, in So Cal.

And we wonder why kids street race? Maybe the adrenaline filled youth of today should just find "better" ways to prove their manhood, like drugs, gangs, doing drive by shootings, etc.

Back under my rock.o_O

Mike Barnard

The track owners at Barona are already getting calls from people asking about the track since the closing of Irwindale. Dang. The pit area is already close to over-flowing. I hope we're not looking at a massive invasion.

Uh, but that also brings more $ and need for more security. Bigger is better!
I was just kidding. Of course, the track and local guys would welcome more racers, and spectators! If you're a bracket racer though, be forewarned, some of the best 1/8 mile bracket racers hang at Barona.

Don,

I don't think Barona is going to be over run with guys from LA county. It's not that easy to get to from SD county so I figure if a few guys actually do come down from LA there won't be many repeat customers. It's a great track but the location will keep the #'s down. BTW you're right about the bracket racing thing. Gary is the best of the best, if he's at the track you better see what the payout is for 2nd place. :)

Neal

Don,

I don't think Barona is going to be over run with guys from LA county. It's not that easy to get to from SD county so I figure if a few guys actually do come down from LA there won't be many repeat customers. It's a great track but the location will keep the #'s down. BTW you're right about the bracket racing thing. Gary is the best of the best, if he's at the track you better see what the payout is for 2nd place. :)

Neal
This past weekend they ran the Summit Series 1 and 2, and some new cars from Irwindale did show up. You're right, it will be interesting to see if they repeat.