You can type here any text you want

Is it worth doing a clone?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
you have no sense of adventure- if it's all about not losing money for you, then you don't get it. i've always looked at the money i "lose" on the cars i own and build as the price of playing..

and there is more to the GNX than just the dash plate and turbo cover.. not enough to make it worth what people are getting them for- at least to me- but definitely worth more than a regular GN. saying that a GNX is just a GN with a couple of cosmetic additions is like saying that a GN is just a Regal with a couple of extra drivetrain and suspension options..

personally, i like the idea of all the "good" stuff being put into a regular Regal body.. is it gonna be worth GN money? no. but it will be a pretty damn cool car, and probably a lot more comfortable to drive every day with it's plush mid 80's Buick interior than a real GN that came with some of the crappiest seats that GM ever put into a car. but i think i'd skip the LC2 and go with something like a 455 Buick for it's refined brute force and utter simplicity- maybe even back it with a Muncie or something like that with 2.56 gears to make for a nice steady interstate cruiser- but that's just me. a Regal with the GN suspension and the big ol honkin' 455 with highway gears would be about the most perfect long distance cruiser ever..

i little clarification - i never ever ever made money on any car that i have ever Built - But i try not to loose every penny i put into them.
i am kind like the OP i build something get bored then sell it. And with a bad habit like that you can't possibly do it for too long with out ending up flat broke. So i try to play with cars that hold value.

and on the GNX stuff you know that i am dead on. its all about the numbers, status and bragging rights. How many buy a GNX NEVER DRIVE IT store it for a few years then sell it?

w.e i feel like ill just stick to my wh1 and sell off the spare parts i have left or keep them as a spare...i just wanted another clean buick that i can rag on since the wh1 is stock to the bone and i had a buncha parts laying in the shed...

i little clarification - i never ever ever made money on any car that i have ever Built - But i try not to loose every penny i put into them.
i am kind like the OP i build something get bored then sell it. And with a bad habit like that you can't possibly do it for too long with out ending up flat broke. So i try to play with cars that hold value.

and on the GNX stuff you know that i am dead on. its all about the numbers, status and bragging rights. How many buy a GNX NEVER DRIVE IT store it for a few years then sell it?

yeah, people do by a GNX and let them sit in a heated garage and collect dust.. but people also do that with regular low mile GN's, too.. hell, there are people that seek out mint low mileage granny driven Chrysler K cars just so they can polish them up and look at them from time to time..
but the GNX does have some really good parts in it that made it into the most badass car you could buy in 1987, and the low production numbers all but guaranteed that they would be collector's items from day one. but some of them have been modified, driven, raced, and crashed hard..

I'm on the fence with this question. My cars are numbers matching, stock, yadda yadda.... Generally, I tend to be a purist. However, I have been looking for a nice clean roller for a few years and have run into the same issue... Rotten #7 cars being marketed as the golden goose.... I've seen plenty of clean N/A regals and I will eventually pull the trigger and build the ultimate sleeper... (The engine is done and sitting on a stand waiting for a donor car) For me it will be about the fun of building the car that way I want it, not worrying about devaluing anything because of the numbers and so on. My hopes are to find some ugly color car, with pillowtop seats, column shift, maybe a landau top and old lady written all over it- that attracts little to no attention.... Then, I'll be truly happy. :)

I'm also working on a 67 Pontiac Tempest that is numbers matching as well... I want to build a street monster GTO but the fact that I have all the numbers matching engine, trans, etc., makes me apprehensive. That's a different story though...

If you have all the parts for a conversion, and the opportunity to pick up a clean n/a regal, I say build it.... Drive it, enjoy it, and when the time comes that you want to sell it, I think it will still hold some value to the right person. I'd buy a conversion if it was the right one and done right...

Like it or not GN's have become preeminent collector type cars.Especially as the new generations couldn't care less about a 57 chevy or whatever,they are more open to cool cars.There is only a handful of cars,cars of the type that have a uniform appearance and reputation-in this case- angular all business,all black,all sinister and are rare and expensive(catch 22)-that its almost like a cult car. Cars are like diamonds,diamonds being utterly useless as jewelry but grades,size,cut etc determines percieved value=price+desireability.

As far as the GNX goes it reminds me of a Superbird vs a R/T Charger,maybe not as extreme-however in both cases I think the "base" model looks better anyway. The only way I'd buy a GNX would be for a hopeful investment. Been through the late 80's and early 90's when muscle cars were 30 grand and thought wtf has everybody lost their mind.Now look at the prices. Will it happen again? I doubt it but then again I didn't believe it the first time.

Throw all that stuff in a monte super sport or even sneakier a Luxury sport have fun do a good job sell it to the next guy build it with the intention of getting 10 to 15k when done and have fun.

yeah, people do by a GNX and let them sit in a heated garage and collect dust.. but people also do that with regular low mile GN's, too.. hell, there are people that seek out mint low mileage granny driven Chrysler K cars just so they can polish them up and look at them from time to time..
but the GNX does have some really good parts in it that made it into the most badass car you could buy in 1987, and the low production numbers all but guaranteed that they would be collector's items from day one. but some of them have been modified, driven, raced, and crashed hard..

You said it its all about the numbers and bragging and status.(not that thats a bad thing) Not saying i don't want one or wouldn't buy it if i had the chance.

point is dump money into regular car and its still worth regular car value at the time of a sale.
Dump money into a "special" car and its worth special car value.

NOW if the plan is to keep it for ever then none of this matters and my answer to OP would have been "go for the best value for your project" Clean NO rust is always a good start.

if its about the #'s game i have a 86 Wh1 80k miles on the clock.. 1 of 463 made in 86... bone stock ac works still on r12!!! numbers matching engine, tranny, d5 cvertr, ...stock interior...the computer/passenger kick panel has never been touched or taken out... :D

if its about the #'s game i have a 86 Wh1 80k miles on the clock.. 1 of 463 made in 86... bone stock ac works still on r12!!! numbers matching engine, tranny, d5 cvertr, ...stock interior...the computer/passenger kick panel has never been touched or taken out... :D

That doesn't sound like much fun to me.:biggrin: Rare, probably, but not much fun.

Heres the problem with todays people they are scared to spend money to have fun. You will go spend 5000 on taking your kids to disney world that has 0 return except for the happiness of their family which does mean a lot. But what about the happiness of yourself you wouldn't spend 5000 to possible make back 1500 and have a ton of fun doing it. I noticed when people build cars to sale they are not built to their potential. Look at the harley guys they will spend 60 to 80 grand on a custom bike to have fun then upgrade down the road to sell that bike for 30 grand after years of fun. Some call them done I call it living life. You only live once are you going to harbor all your cash in your mattress and let it grow gray hairs like yourself or are you going to use it while its worth something to you. Once you hit those older years most realize what they did when they were younger was dumb but they sure had fun doing it.

That doesn't sound like much fun to me.:biggrin: Rare, probably, but not much fun.

your right brother nice but boring drives awesome just not super fast i just cruise it cruise control on the highway ac blowing cold no problems.. thats why i was considering a clone...i have a high 10 low 11 setup in the shed... might just put up the wh1 for sale and see what crazy hybrid i can throw my setup into i really really like chevelle's saw some this weekend in a car show...

To be honest with you a hybred that hadn't been done before would be cool. I like the idea of a T bucket of something down those lines. Super light so you really don't have to run it hard all the time but fully capible of a 10 second run and decent gas mileage.:)

i really really like chevelle's saw some this weekend in a car show...

we had a guy with a 66 396 Chevelle with a TTA motor an trans in it. What a sleeper !!!! No matter what ya build it will still cost $$$ and TIME . What its worth after is whatever someone will pay in CASH right then an there. :p

Back