Kick Panels ???

PRSRIZD_V6

Does anyone use kick panels in a GN/g-body? I'm looking to put a pair of boston pro 6.5" mid basses in the floor/kick panels. I've currently got some 8" Infinity Uni-Planes under the seats. I'd like to get rid of them and upgrade.

Do most people build their own kick panels or do the pre-built ones work? IS it possible to make enclosures that won't intrude on the driver's foot area? Does the parking brake pedal need to be removed, or modified?

thanks

Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6
"Does anyone use kick panels in a GN/g-body?"

Yes!

"Do most people build their own kick panels or do the pre-built ones work?"

I build my own for customers which will cost a little more but if you buy your own materials, you can build your own. The pre-built ones are vacuum formed plastic which are cheaper and will work just as well if you can seal them from the back side. Also mcss383 built his own from scratch which turned out very well. :)

"IS it possible to make enclosures that won't intrude on the driver's foot area?"

Yes and no! depending on what size drivers and angle that you aim them at. You will have some intrusion.

"Does the parking brake pedal need to be removed, or modified"

You can bend it out of the way slightly or you can do as I did and disect it and weld it back together with a slight offset to clear the pods (yes, it is a little extreme). If you can build them yourself and put them (the drivers) at a steep angle, you wont have to manipulate the parking brake.

Hmmm, $150 is a bit pricey and I don't want tweeters in the pods. I've already mounted them. I've seen the Qlogics before and they don't look big enough to handle a Boston 6.5lf They say they'll handle up to a 6.25" woofer, plus there is definately not enough space behind it for the basket of a 6.5lf.

I might just have to make my own in a year or so.

I say make your own. They aren't that hard to make (if you have the proper tools), just takes time and patience. But you will appreciate that CHEAP $150 pricetag. You will spend prob $50+ in materials and then lots of hrs in labor, BUT your finished product will be better than the Q-Logics (from a SQ standpoint, if properly built/aimed).

Do you suggest wood, fiberglass, or ???

I saw some built in a magazine years ago. It seems they had a wood baffle and a fiberglass chamber behind it.

wood and fiberglass.

check out the fiberglassing Ques. thread for more info on that.

If you have good woodworking and body finishing skills, building the pods are very easy. It is just time consuming and tedious but worth the effort once you are done. If you need any help, feel free to ask me or mcss383.

Anyone have pics of their kick panels? I am hopefully getting my car back in 1 week or so, and all I need to complete it is kick panels or door pods. I want to put the whole system in as soon as I get it back, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
berman8or@aol.com

follow the link in my sig to see my kicks, follow the link in Audiowizards sig to see some door pods.

Are those custom? I dont think that would work for me, I have size 16 shoe, :) no room.

yes, they are custom.

You can build them much closer to the kicks, although a little imaging will most likely be sacraficed. Also, I built around the stock kicks, so not doing that could probably get you another 1-2" on drivers side and 3-4" on the pass side. (computer takes up a lot of space).

follow my sig, go to the more pictures link and then go to the album that is for my car. In there i have some pics of the Q-logic's