You can type here any text you want

Knock under boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NorCalTurbos

Slowing down to SPEED UP!!!
I'm trying to tune my car it's impossible while getting knock audible knock at like 8-10psi boost only under boost I'm getting KR where do I begin?

I gotta get a FP gauge that I can read inside the car I'm not to big on the one that sits in the windshield :wtf: kinda ugly and I don't want my car to look modified

Where do you live if your close to MD I would let you use my fp gauge till you figure it out its one of those hood mounted gauges that I actually like the look of on these cars lol... but if not just get the line and tape one of the fp gauges that attaches to the rail to your windshield for a run or two to make sure it's rising as it should and go from there

I'm not even sure where that is lol I'm in Frederick MD like 30 minutes out of Baltimore I would definitely be willing to help you out if your within reasonable distance....my car is down right now so pulling stuff off it really doesn't hurt me now lmk .....by the way have you changed the fuel filter I had a similar problem that was solved by changing that

I'm not even sure where that is lol I'm in Frederick MD like 30 minutes out of Baltimore I would definitely be willing to help you out if your within reasonable distance....my car is down right now so pulling stuff off it really doesn't hurt me now lmk .....by the way have you changed the fuel filter I had a similar problem that was solved by changing that
Yea I have anew filter but maybe it's clogged or faulty shouldn't be but it would hurt and it's in expensive to change out but the car sat for years before I got it going like a year ago there could've been some crap in the lines that got pushed into the filter, the fuel lines were disconnected for like 10years. Yellow Jackets pack stuff with dirt and mud like no other out here

Yea I have anew filter but maybe it's clogged or faulty shouldn't be but it would hurt and it's in expensive to change out but the car sat for years before I got it going like a year ago there could've been some crap in the lines that got pushed into the filter, the fuel lines were disconnected for like 10years. Yellow Jackets pack stuff with dirt and mud like no other out here
Oh yea NorCal = Northern California I wish I was closer, barely anybody owns a GN or TR out here and the guys I've met that claim they work on them are pure con artist. I had a guy tell me "yeah I work on GNs" I told him I had an 85 and he tucked his tail and said "oh I only work on the IC cars.

Well I would definitely be willing to help if your not to far because I'm no where near as experienced as the other guys on here who might be able to give you an exact answer but I have the stuff to pull of mine to figure it out like maf I even have a stock fuel pump that you can just have honestly it worked fine on mine I just pulled it to put a bigger one on if it tracks down to be that. I just want to actually help in this group when I can because I have gotten plenty from these guys. I would go to vortex Buick I think is the sight and do the spring cleaning change the springs because I'm sure they are over do and go from there I have a extra fp you can have if you find out its that it's the stock one but still worked when I pulled it...I would tap the maf with a screw driver at idle and see if it stumbles if yes it's bad. ...check grounds a few on the back of passenger side head and on the bottom bolt of turbo bracket. ...get a scanmaster they help a ton in figuring this kinda stuff out ....just please don't start throwing parts at it it will do nothing but add to the problem. ..I'm new to actually helping people but this is all possibilities from my experiences and cheap if not free to do. Lmk

Well I would definitely be willing to help if your not to far because I'm no where near as experienced as the other guys on here who might be able to give you an exact answer but I have the stuff to pull of mine to figure it out like maf I even have a stock fuel pump that you can just have honestly it worked fine on mine I just pulled it to put a bigger one on if it tracks down to be that. I just want to actually help in this group when I can because I have gotten plenty from these guys. I would go to vortex Buick I think is the sight and do the spring cleaning change the springs because I'm sure they are over do and go from there I have a extra fp you can have if you find out its that it's the stock one but still worked when I pulled it...I would tap the maf with a screw driver at idle and see if it stumbles if yes it's bad. ...check grounds a few on the back of passenger side head and on the bottom bolt of turbo bracket. ...get a scanmaster they help a ton in figuring this kinda stuff out ....just please don't start throwing parts at it it will do nothing but add to the problem. ..I'm new to actually helping people but this is all possibilities from my experiences and cheap if not free to do. Lmk
Thanks a bunch, I've already done the spring cleaning, the car runs good until I try to jump on it, then I get the ping at 10 psi boost if I stay around 5psi it's ok but that's no fun. I'm running the ls1 maf set up with the 87 Ecm and 5.7 TT chip I did research on vortexbuicks last week and what I learned is that I could have a bad coil pack or ignition module which causes knock under boost since it's one of the maybe 3 items that haven't been swapped out under the hood I might just order the 86/87 module & coil. The only other part that's not new is the wastegate solenoid, but it only has about 20k miles on it but with these cars you almost can't rule out anything until you tackle the issue. Cardinal rule change a part and keep a notebook close. The scan master is cool but hard to monitor while driving, I might be going to a power logger really soon

How much knock retard are you seeing?

As you approach 5-10psi, what do your O2 readings look like on the scanmaster?

Mid 700's is lean for pump gas. What's you FP set at with vac line off? Try richening it up and see if the KR goes away.

What are the current settings inside the Translator box?
its set at 10% richer at idle, yesterday I started to mess around with the wot side but it was at zero I haven't had a chance to take the car out yet to see what the best wot setting would be but on the base side 10% richer works best I added fuel through the chip and that helped lower KR

Mid 700's is lean for pump gas. What's you FP set at with vac line off? Try richening it up and see if the KR goes away.
Ive been wondering why do I have an adjustable fpr if its suppose to be set at 43 with the line off and 38 with the line on and that's it. thanks a bunch I think ill try adding fuel through the fpr.... I didn't even think of this, thanks.

its set at 10% richer at idle, yesterday I started to mess around with the wot side but it was at zero I haven't had a chance to take the car out yet to see what the best wot setting would be but on the base side 10% richer works best I added fuel through the chip and that helped lower KR
im gonna try to adding fuel with the fpr and see what happens

Definitely check that fuel pressure. Bad pump hurt my motor last year.

Back