You can type here any text you want

Large rear drum brakes?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
Are there any large rear drums that are a simple bolton for a GN? My project is consuming hefty funds so a 4 wheel disc upgrade is not in the budget untill next winter, Any info would be great, Thanks, Ryan

Use S-10 wheel cylinders (manual transmission models), and primary shoes (long shoes) for all 4 positions- buy 2 boxes of shoes.

Ill look into that, something has been done to the brakes already but im not sure what!!! Thanks for the info, What years for the wheel cylinders work the best??

I know its not a bolt-on, but I have to say that I loved the performance increase from the MP "poor man's disc" large drum package for my GM a-body. We need to figure out how to modify that to fit our rear ends. Would be great. I emailed MP asking why they don't make that one for our rear, but no response.

I just got an email reply from MP. Unfortunately I cannot follow up yet; my GN is stored in a barn 3 states away right now; won't begin work until this summer. If anyone is interested in this, plz follow up and give us a report. MP wrote:

Do you have the 4 bolt axle flange on the rear of the Grand National? I may have a brake deal for you.

Thank you,
Steve Goddard
Sales Dept.
Phone # 888-351-8781
Ext # 209

Nope, we have the Metric 3 bolt, really 2 bolts and an alignment stud, pattern.

or you could get the rear brakes off a 76 or 77 Monte Carlo, clamp it to your axle flange, and use a drill to make your axle into a 4 bolt flange.
then, later on down the road, your bolt on rear disc brake choices really open up.
the flange GM decided to use on the G bodies, S trucks, and 82-92 F bodies is just flat out retarded..

Is there any full size GM wagon brakes that are bigger? Just curious if there are any options were not thinking about?? Im not afraid to modify or do any work thats for sure!

I Had A Fast Conversation With Jb Racing....79 Caprice Station Wagon 11 In Brakes ,,,some Minor Modifications Are Needed ,but He Installed Them On His 10 Sec Car About 10 Years Ago ...said They Work Really Well

I know its not a bolt-on, but I have to say that I loved the performance increase from the MP "poor man's disc" large drum package for my GM a-body. We need to figure out how to modify that to fit our rear ends. Would be great. I emailed MP asking why they don't make that one for our rear, but no response.

I have those on my Vista Cruiser. Work GREAT.

What exactly is involved in this? And what exactly are the "big" ford brakes??

Sorry I cant totally answer here I bought a rear end that had this done. I bealive there are a couple routes you can go..... there are 11 inch ford drums and also I think some people use the 70 chevelle brake setups. This would be something that I leave up to the pro's :biggrin: fortunately there is a really good right across the street from my house almost who can handle all this. I know its been covered on the boards before but Im unsure of the correct moser part numbers.

HTH a little
Jim

I DID A SEARCH AND COULD NOT FIND ANY SOLID INFORMATION........HELP ...........:confused:

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

That rear axle flange is really odd to work with. the Chevelle brake shoe is th esame size as the Buick. The stock GN w/cyl is 3/4" and the S10 manual brake cyl is 7/8".. Big difference in pressure against the shoes. The short shoes are actually a higher friction than the long shoes. The Hydroboost will operate any combo of brake components. They can deliver up to 2000psi to the brakes, with a controlable pedal feel. Read the info on "Hydroboost question?"

Back