You can type here any text you want

Late build GN - quality issues?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

subtlt

A little faster every day
Anybody else have a late build car with really crappy build quality? Mine was built in late Nov of 87, and it's just amazing the workmanship that didn't go into this car.

- I found an extra window squirter bolted under the lower windshield molding! I always wondered why it didn't sit flush on the windshield...:rolleyes:

- Under BOTH of the windshield side moldings were extra clips crammed in sideways, forcing them off the windshield.

- The power antenna loom was trapped under the heater fan on the heater box - had to remove it to get the wiring/antenna assy out

- the trunk doesn't line up worth a damn at the back passengers side

and the list goes on. I understand that when your job is gone in a few weeks that things might get a bit sloppy, but yikes! Anybody else get a masterpiece like this?

Mine is a very late build car, and I have not noticed the things you mention, but mine NEVER runs right. I don't even have power options on mine, must have been too close to Miller time that day:rolleyes:

My car is a December '87 build. I don't notice any issues with it that I haven't seen on other GNs.

Hey that reminds me, this month is my car's 16th birthday.... :)

Originally posted by subtlt
Anybody else have a late build car with really crappy build quality? Mine was built in late Nov of 87, and it's just amazing the workmanship that didn't go into this car.

- I found an extra window squirter bolted under the lower windshield molding! I always wondered why it didn't sit flush on the windshield...:rolleyes:

- Under BOTH of the windshield side moldings were extra clips crammed in sideways, forcing them off the windshield.

- The power antenna loom was trapped under the heater fan on the heater box - had to remove it to get the wiring/antenna assy out

- the trunk doesn't line up worth a damn at the back passengers side

and the list goes on. I understand that when your job is gone in a few weeks that things might get a bit sloppy, but yikes! Anybody else get a masterpiece like this?

Welcome to GM in the 80's--i hope this is no surprise to anyone:rolleyes:

How's your paint quality????

Sudtlt,
I too have a late build car ( early Nov 87 ) and haven't noticed anything like what you stated. Although the trunk thing is somewhat common on these car, there was a thread about this a few days ago.

Striker_29
I thought all late build cars were optioned the same ( power windows, locks etc...) When was yours built?

Matt

I bought a GN new in August of 87......Quality was Ok but not great. Fit and finish was not great on most GM cars of that time.

Pete

i know my trunk doesn't exactly line up perfectly...mine is not really a late build either...september

My car and my buddy's GN were both built in 11/87.

They both have a different stitching on the steering wheel leather. They have two seams on either side of the bottom spoke, not one seam centered at the bottom spoke, like all the other GN's and T's I've seen. In both of our cases, they didn't seem to wear well at all. Maybe they used cheaper materials?

They both have all the same options, were all of the extra build cars optioned the same?

I guess being built that late in '87 they could be considered '88 GN's :cool:

Pete

Not true. On late build cars you had things that were optional on early build cars and other options that you could not even get on late builds. (they ran out of some things ealy like floor mats.)

Generally tho, the late build cars had more options on em then the early but not all the time. I have seen stripper late builds and loaded late builds.. BUT stripper late bulds are much more rare the early stripper GN's..

Originally posted by RI-Matt
Sudtlt,
I
Striker_29
I thought all late build cars were optioned the same ( power windows, locks etc...) When was yours built?

Matt

Originally posted by RI-Matt
Striker_29

I have heard this before in a similar thread a few years back. Pretty sure it was in Dec.

Vin # 1G4GJ1175HP464879

Power nothing, go figure.

mine is a late build 87 , 12-87 and i noticed the weird stitching on the steering wheel compared to the other two GNs in the family. Mine is a very well built car, but our 86 seems to be awesome other than paint quality, it has 151,000 on the original engine, rear, and tranny, and it still runs very well, since we bought it with 135000 i have done nothing but beat the crap out of it and change the oil. It seems like a very well built car

You all buy these cars new? :)

I'd be looking at all the previous owners rather than at GM for answers to most of those questions and problems. ;)

Wayne, mine was an October '87 build. By the time I got it who the hell knows what it was like from the factory?! Next time you're across the pond, we'll have a look at the trunk alignment together. I've done a few of the club's trunks and been fairly successful at it. I worked at GM in '80 + '81 and I remember a customer with the continuous complaint of a door rattle in his new Riviera...well on service call #4 for the same complaint, the trim tech pulled out a long machine screw, run through a beer cap, with 4 fender washers on it with a note taped to it. It read, "well you finally found it didn't ya, ya rich bast#$d". This was the attitude displayed by GM in the 80's, as mentioned above. Where do you think Ford's "Quality is job 1" came from and why!! I'd chock all that weird crap you discovered to this attitude.
PS: What's the deal with these GN badges?
Jim

ghall was right, GM 80's build quality was the worst.

My concert sound II always sounded bad, went to adjust the power window once andnoticed that the wonderful UAW workers put the door insulation right ove the speaker!

Great drivetrain but the body wasn't screwed together very well.

Mark F. 87 GN 11.9 @ 115

Re: Re: Late build GN - quality issues?

Originally posted by ghall
Welcome to GM in the 80's--i hope this is no surprise to anyone:rolleyes:

How's your paint quality????

The car was repainted in 88 for the lousy paint (got the GM warranty papers), so it sucked too.:rolleyes:

Steering wheel is the two seam version which I understood they switched to when they ran out of the single seam ones?

I must have just got the window guy on a bad day. It appears to be the original windshield, just with truly horrendous work on the trim. I can't imagine someone losing a washer squirter by trapping it under the lower molding, then buying another to replace it, but I guess it's possible.

No problems on the powertrain though, runs like a champ - near stock cars will do that :D

I worked at the local Buick dealership in 84-85 (when I fell in love with these beasts) and saw some funny stuff, but Jim's note takes the cake!

Okay, Not trying to be a smartazz but to all of you who have issues with your car and DIDN'T buy it NEW,as in the very first owner, than what salvage6 said! You forget your car was built by Humans,designed by Humans and bought and driven by Humans. Put yourself in the same situation the same Human Beings who assembled your "pride and joy". It wasn't designed by a room full of computers and it was built in a 90 year old factory by people who knew they were going to lose the jobs and livelyhood a week before Christmas! I know its Human nature to bash GM but get your facts straight. I know this is just opening up this thread about overpaid UAW workers and how come the Japaneese can build a better car(BS!) but what would the holidays be with out some argueing amungst the family.

Eric Fisher

if you read the story of the last GN, the guy that wrote it said the workers had nothing but pride for the work they did, they cried as the last one came off the line but cheered as it roared to life when they tested it. The rear parking light on my 83 hurst is crocked and i can't adjust it. So if there was a quality problem its not just at the End of production.

My point exactly. I'm sure there were a few of them that were spitefull towards GM but I'm thinking this group of great individuals put more than 100% into making the products we all love with the tools that was available to them. As Americans we are taught to think as individuals and be independent,something that does not exist anywhere else in this world. That might be a problem when you put 2000 Americans in a building and tell them to build a car. I'm not sure if the term "team player" ever figured into the way GM builds their cars but I figure its to be expected when you put the finest engineers together. Maybe instead of overpaid CEO's and more bean counters they should hire a few psycholigists(sic) and we can all someday be driving brand new TR's. I find the the majority of GM bashers out there have never owned a GM built car, have never bought a NEW GM car and dont have a clue about anything automotive related because they spend the day sitting behind a desk(or cubicle) and do nothing that makes them an expert on GM(or anything for that matter). I have worked for GM dealers going on 25 years now and I've just about seen it all. For all of those who dont agree with me and still say GM builds the biggest POS's than I say put up or shut up.This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Eric

Back