launching

icecold1132

alright guys whats the trick?
i raced a almost stock mustang with a cat back exhaust and lost because i didnt know how to launch the car. so basically i do a burnout throw it drive, one foot on the brake one on the gas tire starts spin at 1 pound take off tire are spinning and i lose the race am i doing anything wrong?

Are you on slicks?

If so, what pressures cold?

If not, don't do burn outs on street tires.

leave at 0 and roll into the throttle.

Until we know more about your combo....I think there's a great Jerry Jeff tune

"pissin in the wind"

What mods do you have? Sounds like you need to change to bigger wheel cylinders to hold more boost. What tires? This is a big question with many answers. It all depends on your mods. I trans brake it with 18 psi in the tires(drag radials) on the street and usually spin about 15 feet. I have a good suspension too. I ran a 1.9 60' yesterday leaving on no boost and cold tires at the track.

:biggrin:

the cars stock besides an air filter and exhaust running street tires also i just feel theirs no way i should have lost to that mustang if i raced him at 35 mph i would leave him in the dust he just knew how to get out of the hole

Most races are won and lost off the launch...get yourself some decent rear tires, even the Nitto's would probably really help u out.

the tires are pretty descent there stick as all hell you can hear the rocks from the road hitting the inner fender i just think i need wider tires whats your take on that? if you think so whats the widest i can get on the stock rim

What type of tire do u have? and as already mentioned...what's the air pressure? most street slicks don't work at 35 psi!

TR's are not kind to street tires.

Were you at the track or somewhere a stray dog, cat, child could wander into the race line?

If it's the latter I'm out on this one.

Your all stock and expecting more than you are going to get, I am afraid. You have a mid 13 sec car when driven right. The Mustang is probably close to that too. Drag radials on a stock engine and you probably wouldnt spin them to much if at all. 20 psi on the street and 18 at the track. You still running 13-15 boost?

:biggrin:

Yah...thats a sport radial..go to Summit Racing and look at Mickey Thompson ET Streets or BFG's drag radial....those tires u got are gonna do just what u mentioned, good burnouts :p

I got 255/50/16's (GTA wheels...16") BFG Drag Radials and they fit fine, maybe someone will chime in w/ a fatter tire that may fit...can't go too big

Nope. If you dont want that big, go 255-60-15. They fit too, but 99% of the still street driven TR's run 275, and alot of them on stock rims.

next set of rear tires these shouldn't last to long i just dont want to take away from drive ability since it is a daily driver so slicks are mostly going to be an option since i will be driving this in the rain