Looked at an 87 GN T Top car. Is this that bad??

LomoMike

GN Rookie
Hey guys, looked at an 87 GN over the weekend. T Top car. And guy replaced the seals with the ones from g body parts. As soon as he said he replaced the seals i was concerned about rust in the floors. Interior and carpet was in great shape but when i lifted a section of carpet i saw this and took pics. Take a look. Small hole on passenger side and some surface rust under carpet. Should i be really worried, is this that bad, and how much do you think to fix? Dont know if the floor pans will need replacing or just a patch and wanted to know how much it would run me. Rest of the car was in great shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 281
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 271
I would pass on that car. If the floor pans are that bad I can only imagine what the underside of the car looks like. Find yourself a hardtop car.

I would put it up on a lift. You'll be able to see the damage from under side of the car. If its a good deal, its only metal. If he's asking a premium, I would keep looking.

Pass. If someone were moderately capable of resto/welding/fabbing with tons of energy...maybe and a small maybe at that, depending on what one would want out of the car, it will always be a car with patched or redone floors, and rust like that I highly doubt is just localised.

I would pass on that car. If the floor pans are that bad I can only imagine what the underside of the car looks like. Find yourself a hardtop car.
Underside seemed ok, this was the only visible rust on the car. No rust on doorjambs, rockers, etc. im assuming t tops leaked and it rotted from the topside of the metal under the carpet through the bottom.

I would put it up on a lift. You'll be able to see the damage from under side of the car. If its a good deal, its only metal. If he's asking a premium, I would keep looking.
Asking $11k, 120k miles, some paint fading, slightly modded TA44 prescision turbo. But this was the only spot of significant rust. Rest of car was in good shape. Sound like a deal?

Pass. If someone were moderately capable of resto/welding/fabbing with tons of energy...maybe and a small maybe at that, depending on what one would want out of the car, it will always be a car with patched or redone floors, and rust like that I highly doubt is just localised.
Not looking for a show car, im on a budget of about $10k. So i know im gonna get something rebuilt with high mileage. That seem worth it for around that price or think ill find something better in that price range. Hes asking $11k.

My personal car had a little rust in the floor pan. But if it's there, it's other places too. Offer him 8k or keep looking if rust is a concern. I've seen great T's go on this board for around 11k. But all these cars have rust somewhere, you just won't know until it's time for paint.

Hey guys, looked at an 87 GN over the weekend. T Top car. And guy replaced the seals with the ones from g body parts. As soon as he said he replaced the seals i was concerned about rust in the floors. Interior and carpet was in great shape but when i lifted a section of carpet i saw this and took pics. Take a look. Small hole on passenger side and some surface rust under carpet. Should i be really worried, is this that bad, and how much do you think to fix? Dont know if the floor pans will need replacing or just a patch and wanted to know how much it would run me. Rest of the car was in great shape.
Mike if the floor is that bad imagine what the roof gutter area looks like. Keep on looking and try to find a solid roof car. John

If you give 11K and end up paying 3-7 thousand for repairs that puts you at 14-18K in it. I would rather pay 15K for a nicer one. The water had to travel down the A and B pillars to make it to the floor. You also need to look under the T-top weatherstripping. I always use a bore scope when looking at high dollar old cars. With the scope I can see inside of doors and rockers without taking anything apart. It may be just a small amount of rust but there may be lots more there. If you are untrained on spotting it have a knowledgeable person do it. Patients will pay off even if you have to take a road trip to get one.

If you give 11K and end up paying 3-7 thousand for repairs that puts you at 14-18K in it. I would rather pay 15K for a nicer one. The water had to travel down the A and B pillars to make it to the floor. You also need to look under the T-top weatherstripping. I always use a bore scope when looking at high dollar old cars. With the scope I can see inside of doors and rockers without taking anything apart. It may be just a small amount of rust but there may be lots more there. If you are untrained on spotting it have a knowledgeable person do it. Patients will pay off even if you have to take a road trip to get one.
Thanks for all the awesome info guys. Thing that gets me is that the rest of the car is in good shape and it seems to be localized from what i can tell but i guess paint, new carpet, and a nice interior can hide a lot. Here is the link the the old ebay ad for the car, link still works. Check it out and tell me how much you think its worth. Thanks again!

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/181791500411

I was at about $6500. But I'm sure it will need fillers as I doubt they were replaced.
Auto cancer is a killer unless you can do your own work.
Look under the weatherstrip under the t-top glass. I bet it is like the floor pans. Sad.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

I'll tell you right now, my door jams looked 100% better than that. When I took my doors off and took it down to bare metal, I had to patch the A pillar and do some serious grinding behind the door hinges. One bolt broke off of the door hinge while removing from rust. If you can see the rust as bad as it is in the one pic on ebay, I can guarantee you that car has LOTS of hidden rust, and put about 700HP in there and the doors will blow themselves off... :confused:

If you have to ask how much rust work will run you Im guessing you need to pass. Not worth half that price unless you can do the work yourself. Hopefully someone with the space and equipment will get it. I've done some patchwork and its amazing how much rust you'll find when you start taking things apart. Not fun and a great way to make sure a project never gets done.

I would pass as well. Just hate dealing with rust, seems there's always a lot more than you initially find.

Plenty of good advice rust issues can be a headache. T-Tops I would onl ybuy them when they were mint and low mileage as the resale market on T-Top examples is not as strong as hardtops or factory astroroofs. One reason Ford stopped doing T-Tops on the Fox body. (Not sure what year).

Rust is also referred to as cancer and for good reason.....it spreads! No matter what you initially can see when it comes time to fix it its twice as much!

denniskirban@yahoo.com