Looking for opinions on aluminum heads

Steve

I am getting ready to put my new shortblock in my 87 GN and I dropped my Champion Irons off at Kimmis Racing Engines to have them freshened up and it turns out one of the them has a crack between the valve in the combustion chamber! I am thinking about biting the bullet and getting a set of aluminum heads so I wanted to get some opinions on the different versions. I want to get a 14 bolt head even though I have a 109 block because I plan to upgrade to a stage motor later. I am leaning towards the GN1's because from what I can tell the 14 bolt Champions have their own roller rocker set up that is cheaper than the shaft style roller rockers so I could save a couple hundred bucks which is always nice, but if the TA heads are a better choice I don't mind spending the extra. I know in the early days of the GN1's there were some cracking problems, has this issue been resolved in the current castings? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

the 14 bolt heads with the stud mount Scorpion rockers are a good way to go. talk to Tom at Champion about various little upgrades that are available too. The ARP rocker studs are a good upgrade for example.

I have a set on my car haven't had any issues with them at all. They're about 4 yrs old now.

Steve,

I went with the 14 bolt gn1 heads for the exact reason you mentioned. I only have a little over 2k miles on my motor but so far I've liked em. I'm careful not to let the engine temps get over 200 though since I'm still a bit paranoid about cracking the heads. I will say that with the scorpion rocker arms it has a slight sewing machine sound to the engine but its barely noticeable and I kinda like it. I think the power potential and weight savings are worth the money.

Paul

If your going to get them. Get them ported, and be sure the valve job and guides are inspected or done by a pro.

Thanks for replies.

I called a reputable vendor to see about ordering a set of GN1's and they said hey didn't recommend them for cars that see a lot of street miles. My car is a weekend car that doesn't see a lot of miles but I do not want to be concerned about the heads if I decide to drive it more. Of course aluminum heads are very common on all cars these days which makes me wonder about the Gn1's design. Am I over thinking this or is there an issue with GN1's on the street?

GN1s are fine on the street. I run them on my 4.1 with no issues. And as far as the temp getting over 200*....I had my fan relay burn up and the fans quit while I was out beating on the car...saw 252* on the scanmaster...no problems. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't wanna do that again, but the point is, they can handle more heat than 200*....

I've had my Champion GN1 aluminum heads since 2001 and they work great on the street. I had one overheating problem due to the cooling fan not coming on and the engine temp went to 221 degrees but i was able to drive the car back home,it was a cool night and very little traffic which helped.

I know of 3 cars that had GN-1 heads passing oil into the cylinders after a lot of street driving. Maybe the newer heads are better. I would gamble to the side of the TA heads if I wanted a new set.
edit....improper pushrod length and valve adjustments were ruled out.