You can type here any text you want

Looking for people that run 3.23 gears

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I run 323s in my car using 26 inch tall tires with a best ET of 10.64 127 with a 1.46 60 ft off the foot brake i did the gear change to keep the 26 tires had 3 set of ET streets i got a killer deal on them and found a set of 323s on ebay for $50 shipped so it just worked . i am going 308s in my stage 2 street car with a 400 trans and a 28 inch tire soon as i get time to work on my own car .
539530_10151441250984036_780304152_n.jpg

I have been running 3.23 since 2008 and will stay in there. In all my years I have tried 4.56 to run all 4 gears ( not good ) 3.73 ( not bad ) 3.70 ( not bad ) I find the 3.23 gives me the best all around. I run a TH400 with 28" tall tires and if I could I would go 29".

So you like what the numerically lower gear do for you? You'd like a 3.18 even?
I had a set of 3.08's but at the time with the 231 would cause premature pinging, so I took them off and sold them. Yes I will stay with the 3.23 for a long time.

Does anyone have a Skid Row jean jacket I can borrow?, I can't seem to find mine anywhere:joyful:...

@JBracing, what kind of decrease in RPMs is there at say 55mph running the 3.23 vs the 3.42?

Lol. I actually love Skid Row, but you'd never know it looking at me. I dress nice most of the time.

I had a set of 3.08's but at the time with the 231 would cause premature pinging, so I took them off and sold them. Yes I will stay with the 3.23 for a long time.

Got another question with this. Since everyone here would run 39" tires if their car would allow them, tell me how those ultra tall tires people run don't cause premature pinging when a higher gear does. How does the car know the difference between making the tire OD bigger or the gears taller?

Leverage, angular speeds n stuff. Short of it is that the ring and pinion are little. Tires are big. Just stick with the 3.42, use a 26 inch tire if you want. Run a 28 inch tire if you want. Changing gears is a pita compared to just going to a 28 inch tire. I've run 10.4 @ 128 on a "26" (actually measures 27.1 at rest and more at speed) and 3.42 at 16+% slip on an unlocked converter in 3rd. I now have a PTC 9.5 NLU 17 to bring the rpms down with less slip.

My biggest concerns are 28 by 10.5 tires rub my frame, and look horrible too lol. And even if I loved the stance of a beat up primer grey 70 chevelle with metallica blaring out of the speakers, I wouldn't be able to get anyone to race me lol. The car already scares everyone half to death so... Can't do 28's. Though they did hook pretty dam good lol. If a car can potentially start knocking early because of this, would that be an octane/alky delivery problem? And I still want to know how the engine discerns the difference between the early loading of the taller tires or the early loading of a taller gear. How do it know? lol.

And I still want to know how the engine discerns the difference between the early loading of the taller tires or the early loading of a taller gear.
the rpm climb rate will be affected.the 3.23 will take longer to rpm as you are decreasing torque off the rear end.

I believe:

A 28" tire may act as 26" at launch, but 29" at rpm.
A higher numerical gear will rpm quicker but may increase lag, all else being equal.
A narrow tire will have higher contact pressure.
Changing gears and tire size should be based on data, after the rest of the combo is dialed in. Each setup and operating condition is different.

Back