You can type here any text you want

Looking for reputable painter in Chicagoland

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SPTLSS1

I'm toying w/ the idea of having some paint work done to my car. Specifically just the sides since it is a two tone and the tops were painted in 2005 (prior owner did not want to do the whole car).

My car is laser straight, no rust, never seen winter, pleasure use only, etc.

I did a search and found a recommendation from Jeremy that he used Herman in the Quad Cities???

Anyone have someone they had good luck w/ in the Chicagoland area?

Thanks,
Phil

I recommend J&D autobody on Rt 14 between Crystal Lake and Cary.

Ask Prasad about the paint on my light blue 87. He's seen it up close a few times.

Phil, I have a good painter here in the Quad Cities that will do a very nice job for you. It's not Herman, he and I had a slight disagreement so I will not refer anybody else to him. the new painter is awesome though! Also has awesome prices. Siad he would paint a GN complte with disassembly for beween $2000 and $2500. I can pass along info if you want to make the drive. ------Jeremy

MJRWOOD's car looks beautiful as well!!

Just what I'm looking for myself. I'm wanting to drop my car off in the next 2 weeks somewhere. I need a spot on the quarter fixed. ..

Ask Prasad about the paint on my light blue 87. He's seen it up close a few times.

Hey you Lake in the Hill guys. Grew up in Crystal Lake. Does Dan work there? Do you guys know Jeff Schwartz by any chance? Grew up with him. I'll leave it at that. I heard they cancelled the Crystal Lake car shows this year.

Do you guy remember drag racing down miller road? I lived Crystal Lake 71-84 Utechs farm ran all the way behind Lake in the Hills. They don't own but nice fish in the pond you can see from Virginia Ave before you hit South HS. Don't get caught though. Is the Crystal Lake car show cancelled this year? Come out that wat twice a year yet.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll give a call to J&D.

Jeremy, I'll gladly take the info on your guy.

Hey you Lake in the Hill guys. Grew up in Crystal Lake. Does Dan work there? Do you guys know Jeff Schwartz by any chance? Grew up with him. I'll leave it at that. I heard they cancelled the Crystal Lake car shows this year.

Schwartz of Schwartz performance? I don't really know those folks too well, just seen the caddy a few times and stopped by the shop for some carb parts on occassion. No Dan at J&D.

Them cornholers at the Crystal Lake cruise night always kick me out on my azz. Pre 1980 only rule (unless you have a corvette). THEY SUCK. I hope it gets cancelled.

here's a a few pics of J&D's Autobody's work:

Complete paint job:
P8070024.jpg

Just the hood:
P8190026.jpg

Rust repair, pretty much all the way around the whole bottom of the car, and the decklid. Lots of blending (matching 20 year old paint isn't easy, but he did it):
77ta110715.jpg

77ta110710.jpg

Yeah I have known Jeff, and his wife Linda for a long time. Jeff now has Schwartz Extreme Performance. Jeff and his wife are both nice people, it's just too bad I have been burned by both of them. I honestly believe Jeff didn't burn me on purpose(he is really nice and an honest person), but I definitely paid extra for his inexperience with my rear end, and valve springs.

Do you guy remember drag racing down miller road? I lived Crystal Lake 71-84 Utechs farm ran all the way behind Lake in the Hills. They don't own but nice fish in the pond you can see from Virginia Ave before you hit South HS. Don't get caught though. Is the Crystal Lake car show cancelled this year? Come out that wat twice a year yet.

I remember drag racing down Square barn road. Use to be a back road. Now it is lined with houses, and schools. I got choked by Utech. He caught me riding my dirt bike right behind the baseball fields in LITH. Good Memories back there.

Steve what did your paint job run you?

Blue car: ~$8000+
Hood on the black car: ~$400
Trans Am: ~$1800 (it was a real rust pile)

They'll do it either way. Super nice show winner (ie. expensive), or "cheap enough and good enough". It's up to the customer.

It all comes down to number of hours spent at $40-something an hour.

I remember drag racing down Square barn road. Use to be a back road. Now it is lined with houses, and schools. I got choked by Utech. He caught me riding my dirt bike right behind the baseball fields in LITH. Good Memories back there.
SORRY for the highjack
Visiting him (utech) in may. I checked your birthdate. Wow you missed a lot. 16 years younger than us. Back in the day we had town fights at the old drive in at the manor. I know its all gone now but wow we had fun. Do you know any of the Kingos's My mother dated their father years ago. Board and just thinking about old times. I actually bought Rick Utechs 87 GN 40k miles for $3k 5 years ago. No rust sat in the barn for 7 years.

Data, thanks for the tip. I will give them a call.

Funny to read about Schwartz Performance since my brother 'n law who lives in Vernon Hills has been talking to Jeff about building a built LS6 motor for his new GTM kit car. My brother n law has a brand new crate LS6 and was going to have Jeff do a custom supercharger/intercooler package.

I'll tell my brother n law to be careful...

Back