lost oil prime.

Take the pointy cap from a gear lube bottle, put it on a quart bottle of oil. May need to push a short piece of hose onto the top. Remove the oil filter. Push the top of the bottle (or hose if you added that) to the bypass hole in the filter housing. This would be the one with the trap door on it. Squeeze oil into the pump until oil comes out the center threaded port. Fill your oil filter with oil and install. Unplug the connector by the battery(orange wire) and turn the engine over until you see oil pressure. Reconnect orange wire connector.

Hope this helps. I have done this many times and had great success.:)

any tricks or shortcuts to getting oil pump primed without removal?

are you saying that you cannot use a priming tool or an old distributor shaft on a drill and get the pump to prime???--------if so that means only one thing-------the clearances in your pump are too loose and it cannot pull a reasonable vacuum enough to lift the oil from the pan into the pump-------if so you need to check the pump clearances --------you will never have good hot low RPM oil pressure if the pump cannot draw a vacuum without being primed...........RC

are you saying that you cannot use a priming tool or an old distributor shaft on a drill and get the pump to prime???--------if so that means only one thing-------the clearances in your pump are too loose and it cannot pull a reasonable vacuum enough to lift the oil from the pan into the pump-------if so you need to check the pump clearances --------you will never have good hot low RPM oil pressure if the pump cannot draw a vacuum without being primed...........RC

Maybe by "tricks" he meant a priming tool as he was unaware of them??
Still the best IMO. Altho popping out 6 bolts & packing the gears with vaseline only takes an 45 mins-hour & is an idea that always works so I do both.

Maybe by "tricks" he meant a priming tool as he was unaware of them??
Still the best IMO. Altho popping out 6 bolts & packing the gears with vaseline only takes an 45 mins-hour & is an idea that always works so I do both.

it will guarantee the pump primes but it doesn't correct for too high clearances----------i quit packing pumps years ago when i discovered how unimportant it was if the pump was set up right--------they prime within 2 to 3 seconds every time---------but you can't get a pump right if you use standard gaskets--------all the now available GM gaskets and the aftermarket gaskets i have found are .007 to .009 thick-------makes it just about impossible to set end clearance tight enough without making your own gasket-------i find that sometimes they need to be as thin as 1 or 2 thousands...............RC

Thin oil pump gaskets

Does anyone know where to go and purchase a selection of thin oil pump gaskets in a packet?

I saw something on this before but can't remember who can provide that at a decent price.
Thanks

it will guarantee the pump primes but it doesn't correct for too high clearances----------i quit packing pumps years ago when i discovered how unimportant it was if the pump was set up right--------they prime within 2 to 3 seconds every time---------but you can't get a pump right if you use standard gaskets--------all the now available GM gaskets and the aftermarket gaskets i have found are .007 to .009 thick-------makes it just about impossible to set end clearance tight enough without making your own gasket-------i find that sometimes they need to be as thin as 1 or 2 thousands...............RC

AGREED

any tricks or shortcuts to getting oil pump primed without removal?

Would have to "assume" all is in good working order on your '87 GN, and pump gears are not damaged.:confused:

If this is the case, using a priming tool and a drill, makes this a simple procedure.:)

Just remove the oil cooler hose near the top of the radiator. Pour oil into it until full. Then manually turn the priming tool counter clockwise and add more oil until full again.

Re-install the hose run the drill. You may have to repeat the procedure a second time. Oh, make sure the filter is full of oil first.

I once neglected to torque down the two bolts on the oil pickup on the oil pan. Took me a while to figure out why I couldnt get oil pressure.

big thanks guys . i guess i should have mentioned this is not a fresh motor or rebuild. i just took off the cooler line, marked my cam sensor, ran the pump backwards and man it sucked a quart dry. then put line back keyed on checked vdo's and had 70psi. i want to thank all you guys. only took 40 minutes with a oil change.