Lots of upgrades, but still no power.

TURBO2

After decades of throwing upgrades on my 1986 GN it almost seems like it has lost power instead of gaining power. I have upgraded to T44 turbo, a front mount intercooler, ram air kit, 60 lb/hr injectors, larger TB, hot wired 340lph fuel pump, ecuGN, and the list keeps going.All data logs show almost no KR with fueling that's pretty close, and boost at about 20psi in 1st gear and tapering off as it goes through the rest of the gears (18, 16, 14). Instead of being at about 4 seconds 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in the 10's like other Turbo regals with similar upgrades I've seen, I'm now at about the same performance as an early 80's Camaro with the 2.8 V6. Anyone have any idea's what I'm missing?

If you have a stock, unopened engine youre not running 10s with a TE-44.

How much power are you making? What are the current times?

After decades of throwing upgrades on my 1986 GN it almost seems like it has lost power instead of gaining power. I have upgraded to T44 turbo, a front mount intercooler, ram air kit, 60 lb/hr injectors, larger TB, hot wired 340lph fuel pump, ecuGN, and the list keeps going.All data logs show almost no KR with fueling that's pretty close, and boost at about 20psi in 1st gear and tapering off as it goes through the rest of the gears (18, 16, 14). Instead of being at about 4 seconds 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in the 10's like other Turbo regals with similar upgrades I've seen, I'm now at about the same performance as an early 80's Camaro with the 2.8 V6. Anyone have any idea's what I'm missing?
There are so many things that could account for poor performance, but the foundation must be solid to begin with.

List the details of the car, all modifications, is the car the stock engine or has someone been in it?

I would start off with a compression and leak down check. If those look out of line all the mods in the world won't do a thing. If those tests check out the valve spring pressure need to be checked and the list of things to check will go on. But the foundation must be solid to begin with.

The 86 in my signature is an example of a car with a huge list of issues when I started. When the car came home I honestly thought the engine was shot. Zero power, ran terrible, smoking out the exhaust, you get the idea. Turns out a deteriorated fuel system, slipping trans, a roached turbo, vacuum and exhaust leaks, shit ECU chip, bad MAF, bad coil pack, hacked wiring harnesses, and poor grounds will all add up to a terd.

Two years later with the same engine and that list of issues address its a different car and makes good power and drives great.

If you have a stock, unopened engine youre not running 10s with a TE-44.

How much power are you making? What are the current times?
I've never had it on a dyno.
My Dakota Digital Dash is putting it at;
0-60 in 9.4 seconds
1/4 in 19.3

There are so many things that could account for poor performance, but the foundation must be solid to begin with.

List the details of the car, all modifications, is the car the stock engine or has someone been in it?

I would start off with a compression and leak down check. If those look out of line all the mods in the world won't do a thing. If those tests check out the valve spring pressure need to be checked and the list of things to check will go on. But the foundation must be solid to begin with.

The 86 in my signature is an example of a car with a huge list of issues when I started. When the car came home I honestly thought the engine was shot. Zero power, ran terrible, smoking out the exhaust, you get the idea. Turns out a deteriorated fuel system, slipping trans, a roached turbo, vacuum and exhaust leaks, shit ECU chip, bad MAF, bad coil pack, hacked wiring harnesses, and poor grounds will all add up to a terd.

Two years later with the same engine and that list of issues address its a different car and makes good power and drives great.
It's a stock block, never apart with 107,000 miles. I've gone through all the basics and replaced all of the vacuum lines throughout. I have checked all the grounds and added a ground cable from the battery directly to the body and engine block. I replaced the valve springs about 4 years ago with 100# springs. Most everything seems to check out, and datalogs seem good, but the end result is less than spectacular.

Has the original timing set been replaced?

Definitely time for a compression and leakdown check. Need to make sure all cylinders are consistent.

Has the original timing set been replaced?

Definitely time for a compression and leakdown check. Need to make sure all cylinders are consistent.
Yes, I replaced the timing set, oil pump, and water pump.

What transmission are you using?
what torque convert is in it?
Also make sure you zip tie all your hoses.
What maf ?
Is the iac and tps set right?

he has a ECUGN and boost is falling to levels it won't make power.
go back to the beginning and double check exhaust
front mount really not needed for a T44 the OE is a good cooler and you don't want a Ebay special cooler.

When it comes to tuning/upkeep on a TB it reminds me alot of one of my nephew's .. There is no one thing that piss's you off but rather a lot of little things that combine and snowball.. The Devil is in the details.. ;)

You said "after decades" so....is the air filter partially clogged now? How do the inlet fins on your turbo look? They might be damaged. Are the cam lobes worn out on a few cylinders? Clogged exhaust = high backpressure.

What transmission are you using?
what torque convert is in it?
Also make sure you zip tie all your hoses.
What maf ?
Is the iac and tps set right?
PATC Raptor
PATC 2800 stall
ecuGN so it's now speed density
IAC and TPS are brand new and right on the money.

You said "after decades" so....is the air filter partially clogged now? How do the inlet fins on your turbo look? They might be damaged. Are the cam lobes worn out on a few cylinders? Clogged exhaust = high backpressure.
Air filter is clean
Turbo is like new
Cam ????
Exhaust is like new and free flowing.

he has a ECUGN and boost is falling to levels it won't make power.
go back to the beginning and double check exhaust
front mount really not needed for a T44 the OE is a good cooler and you don't want a Ebay special cooler.
The boost is staying up, but just doesn't seem to convert boost to more power.
Exhaust is good
I went with front mount for any future upgrades. It's a GN1 Extreme.