Low vacuum, rough idle, misfire under boost, looking for a little help in the greater Portland area

lotzagoodstuff

lotzagoodstuff
So I bought my car non-running and completely dis-sassembled. After cleaning out the fuel system and putting a DW fuel pump, I got it running and driving, but I've got some small issues that I can't seem to resolve. My idle quality/vacuum isn't where I'd like it to be for a stock engine, and I do have some misfire under boost. I pulled the intake manifold and put a new Felpro intake gasket on it, and I put a new set of Dennis Kirban valve springs in it. I've looked at the EGR many times and sprayed lots of carb cleaner with no real change in idle. I also changed the coil pack as mine was original and figured it couldn't hurt. I also installed a PowerLogger. My goal is to get it running perfectly and then do some bolt ons/tuning.

In any case, I'd like to get another set of experienced eyes on my car. It's a stocker (only thing not stock is a K&N cone filter) and although I'm a pretty confident mechanic, I will also admit that I've been working primarily on EEC-IV Fords, and haven't really worked on any GM products for about ten years. I'd really like to trouble shoot/fix this thing myself, but as is sometimes the case: there's no substitute for experience.

Anybody have a recommendation on a competent individual/shop who's familiar with GNs in the greater Portland area?

Thanks

So I bought my car non-running and completely dis-sassembled. After cleaning out the fuel system and putting a DW fuel pump, I got it running and driving, but I've got some small issues that I can't seem to resolve. My idle quality/vacuum isn't where I'd like it to be for a stock engine, and I do have some misfire under boost. I pulled the intake manifold and put a new Felpro intake gasket on it, and I put a new set of Dennis Kirban valve springs in it. I've looked at the EGR many times and sprayed lots of carb cleaner with no real change in idle. I also changed the coil pack as mine was original and figured it couldn't hurt. I also installed a PowerLogger. My goal is to get it running perfectly and then do some bolt ons/tuning.

In any case, I'd like to get another set of experienced eyes on my car. It's a stocker (only thing not stock is a K&N cone filter) and although I'm a pretty confident mechanic, I will also admit that I've been working primarily on EEC-IV Fords, and haven't really worked on any GM products for about ten years. I'd really like to trouble shoot/fix this thing myself, but as is sometimes the case: there's no substitute for experience.

Anybody have a recommendation on a competent individual/shop who's familiar with GNs in the greater Portland area?

Thanks

Maybe a vacuum leak or bad Ignition control module.Under coil pack.
Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor. Cracked drivers side exhaust manifold.
Do you have a scan master hooked up to your car. I see you have a power logger.
It really can tell you a lot about whats going on.

Link to vortexbuicks web site
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/engine_starts_but_does_not_run_p.htm

Last edited:
Non running and completely disassembled, hmmmmmmmmmm, need more info.
What was completely disassembled, the engine? Everything?
Details please:cool:

I'm with Larry compression check first. How many miles on the motor, also check to make sure the cam doesn't have any worn / wiped out lobes.

Run the car, record the misfire with the Power Logger and post the file here so we can see what is going on.

Just recently I was getting a misfire on my GN under boost. I put new spark plugs. Then I found the coil pack was only held on to the bracket by 1 nut. I put a bolt at the rear and another nut. Then I found my intercooler to up pipe hose wasn't really tightening down. I put a new clamp on it. No more misfires.

Ck the timing chain
( the nylon teeth brake off)
Also do u have vacuum brakes
Ck the valve.
And any and all vacuum hoses.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Your issues sound like incorrect chip/injector combo. Pull your chip and check if its burned for the same injectors you are running.

Thanks for the replies, I apologize for not posting more details initially:

The car was completely dis-sasembled for paint, and then sat for four years.

The car is completely stock with the exception of a K&N filter and a set of Dennis Kirban valve springs.

I did change the coil pack and ignition module.

As soon as I get a chance, I will plug in the PowerLogger and post some recordings.

Thanks again for the input.

Here's a PowerLogger file I took the last time I drove it, any input is appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• LogFile1aroundtheblock.dat
    50.9 KB · Views: 75

Thanks
Here is what I suggest. First for your misfire under boost, i am going to say that you have a weak or bad ignition module/ Coil pack. How old is the coil pack you changed? Ow did the silicon sealer on the ignition module look after you pulled off the coil pack? Under boost your misfire is likely the spark being blown out. I am going to say it is not the firing order cause you will have the misfire at all times and being a tech, you should be able to feel or hear this. something else to nor rule out is the injectors. Maybe they are to going bad and under boost one is sticking/shorting out. Have you shut the car off as it starts to misfire and pulled the plugs? How old are the plugs and wires? This also can be a problem! What is your fuel pressure at?

Now for your idle vacuum! Have you pulled the vacuum off your regulator while idling? Did the RPMs stay the same? If they do; Then you know that you have a vacuum leak. What are your BLMs and O2 volts? Suggestion that you get rid of the EGR and order a block off plate from Champion. These are an issue for misfiring and vacuum leaks. Just a fee things. Let me know if you have any more questions. I am in AZ

CLINT

Here's a PowerLogger file I took the last time I drove it, any input is appreciated.

Thank you
I noticed in your PL file the computer lost power momentarily...your INT and BLM reset and all you data went to "0". Check the orange feed wire connector to the computer and also look for corrosion on the computer and connectors. If the car has been sitting in the PNW for a while you know how damp it gets up here.