You can type here any text you want

Lower front 1"

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBO 6

Beer Snob
Staff member
I did a search and really can't come up with what's recommended for lowering a TR 1" in the front. What spring and part # work the best? Not looking to slam the front, but I am looking for the subtle rake look. 2" would be too much. What do you suggest and where to get them from? Thanks!

Put new Control Arm Bushings on both the upper control arms and lower control arms. Leave them slightly loose and when you tighten everything down, have 2 or 3 guys put their knees on the front bumper to collapse the front suspension before snugging all the bolts down. Got me 3/4" to an 1" on my old t-type. Yes, Im serious.:eek:

Put new Control Arm Bushings on both the upper control arms and lower control arms. Leave them slightly loose and when you tighten everything down, have 2 or 3 guys put their knees on the front bumper to collapse the front suspension before snugging all the bolts down. Got me 3/4" to an 1" on my old t-type. Yes, Im serious.:eek:

Isn't that because the bushings were incorrectly binding (like how most of the poly ones do)?

Whats the definition of incorrect? My way worked just FINE for 30K+ miles before I got rid of the car........ And I wouldnt hesitate to do it on my GN when I do the front end. Sometimes Old School works just fine. Otherwise, buy your 2" drop spindles and have it sit too low........ Been There, Done That, Got The T-shirt!:rolleyes:

how about lowering springs? EIB-3803-140 Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Spring Sets 1" front 0.8 rear. just a thought.
dale in arizona

I picked up Moog 5658's from Rock Auto (Can't say enough good things. I ordered the coils at 11:00 am on a Thursday and they were in my hands 24 hours later... Crazy fast shipping and a great price too. About $63 shipped.)

RockAuto Parts Catalog

I have about a 1" gap between my front tires and the fenders with them.. Rides nice, too.

The best way to lower the car about 1 inch is with extended Howe lower balljoints.

Not only will you get your inch, the car will handle better too, due to the improved geometry. Drop spindles won't do that for you.

The best way to lower the car about 1 inch is with extended Howe lower balljoints.

Not only will you get your inch, the car will handle better too, due to the improved geometry. Drop spindles won't do that for you.

ill post results of this next week hopefully. I have had the Howes sitting in the box for quite a few months. Im in the process of installing them and LS1 front brakes. My car measured about 26.3" on the drivers side and 26.8 on the passenger side from the ground to the fender on stock saggy springs that will remain for now. (damn crooked car) Im hoping for about .75" drop on both sides. This is on a 26" front tire BTW.

whats the part number on the howe's?

Well i thought i would post my results from installing thhe Howe lower ball joints. Ill post some pics tomorrow. My measurements before the ball joints were 26.5 on the drivers front and around 27ish on the passenger front. Now the drivers front is around 25.6 and the passenger is right at 26.1-2. Im happy with the difference in handling and can't wait to get it aligned (also replaced upper control arm bushings and installed ls1 brakes:D )

I know it's not the best way... but what about cutting the springs? I know a lot of old school muscle guys do it. But what about the G-Body / Buick V6 set?

I know it's not the best way... but what about cutting the springs? I know a lot of old school muscle guys do it. But what about the G-Body / Buick V6 set?

I tried it, figured it's free, what's the harm. The problem was that the stock springs are too soft, and when you cut them it lowers it alot, but doesn't have enough spring rate to keep from bottoming out. I ripped them out and bought new coils (The 5658's I mentioned above)

here are some camera phone pics i took of the car real quick. I don't have many good before pics but you can tell its lower up front. Stock springs (probably saggy) and the Howe lower ball joints are all the mods that will affect my ride height.
Picture342.jpg

Picture340.jpg

The passengerside still sits higher compared to the drivers side. hopefully i can cure that soon.
Picture345.jpg

Picture346.jpg

Did you have to notch your frame for those rears? do they ever rub like on bumps or off-angle inclines?

Did you have to notch your frame for those rears? do they ever rub like on bumps or off-angle inclines?

naw no notching or any modifications. 4.75" BS worked great. I would recommend rolling the fender lip. Thats the only place mine have rubbed. It is also a good idea to have a good shock on there as well. But i really don't have any problems on the rear.

JDS, would a 4.5 or 5 inch backspace work on a 17x9.5? It's all they have in the gray TTIIs at Summit... if not, I'll go with the other one in my poll (boyds)

Car looks GREAT, sorry about the thread hack!

Back