You can type here any text you want

Lowering front w/ pics

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnxtc2

Staff member
What do you guys think? Lower the front or leave it? And if I should lower it, how ie: coilovers, drop spindles, cut springs, etc, etc.

Currently the springs are stock OEM. TRZ upper and lower front control arms w/ 1st gen F-body spindle, manual steering. QA1 singles all around (yea, I want to change them to DA Afco BNCs). Tire is 325/50-15 M/T DR

Weighed the car w/o me.
LF-859 RF-843
LR-742 RR-779

Note: I threw a set of 1983 Camaro Z28 rear springs, gm part # 10018091, code: NNL (bottom pic) in back in May when I was racing in Bowling Green. The car ran a 1.34 60'. The tires were rubbing the inner rear wheelwells on turns. I also had a 28" front tire which made the car look goofy and have changed over to a 26" since then.
Note: although not a good pic, the 3rd pic down the car has the 28" front tires and the Camaro rear springs. The car is not strapped down tight, note the straps do hook in front of the rear tires.

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

P8110027.jpg

P8110026.jpg

billyTky_trailer1280.jpg

P8110028.jpg

Lower the front, it sits to high IMO. I would use drop spindles, its probably gonna keep your front end geometry more even. The back doesnt look bad with either springs in it. Other than that the car looks good.

The car sits to high for my taste. If you can't lower the rear, I would leave the front where it's at. It may look a little funny if you lower the front only. With the 325's on the rear you probably won't be able to lower the rear without a frame notch and a different offset wheel. Good looking car though and 1.34 60' is nothing to sneeze at. Nice Car...John

BillyT -

Check out my current suspension project http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/289865-total-suspension-build.html

This is the way to go on lowering the front IMO - it has ride height adjustabilty. I can understand if you went another route as you obviously have a good deal invested in the TRZ setup. I'm not a fan of cutting springs - too many variables. If you leave the ride height like it is, I would put the 28" fronts back on there.

By the way - are those wheels Alumastars? Super clean as always!

Pics for ideas:

Both are/were mine and were dropped (for free) with a wizzer. :D (bottom pic is current ride)
gn9-1.jpg

DSC067852.jpg

x2 if you have a chute off the back of your car you are allowed to have it sit however you like!:eek:

This is true, but going 140+mph I wouldnt want a car sitting to high. Its gonna cause the car to lift more, and possibly cause trouble.

For a drag car like that, just use spindles on the front and lower it. If it's too low for your taste once the spindles are on, throw a new set of 5660 Moog springs in it and lift it back up a little.

I used some coil overs front and rear and finding the right height is easy. The QA 1 direct bolt on for the front work well. Mine is a little to low I am gradually raising it little by little.

Attachments

• DSCN1777[1].jpg
    DSCN1777[1].jpg
    82 KB · Views: 997
I changed the front springs to a Moog 5596 spring and cut 3/8 (between a 1/4 & 1/2coil) of a coil off. The spring rate is 346lb compared to a stock 421 spring rate.

The rear springs are the 3rd gen F-body ones as posted above.

P9180043.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I changed the front springs to a Moog 5596 spring and cut 3/8 (between a 1/4 & 1/2coil) of a coil off. The spring rate is 346lb compared to a stock 421 spring rate.

P9180043.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Stance look great. Im gonna give them springs a try.

I have a set of 3rd gen F body spgs

brand new, if anybody is interested, ( Yea ,I know, list them in the for sale section)

P9180043.jpg

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com
That sits perfect Billy IMO. Man that thing looks sharp.

Back