m&a cyl heads?

PHILBUILT65

has anyone had any real experience with these? i have an old pair of bare castings that presure test good . they are new .mike t told me a few years ago he had some valve covers and o rings. so i think i can use these but im wondering why they didnt take off? anyone know?

they worked so good........

that T/A bought em and now manufactures them as T/A heads
they have made some improvements, but pretty much as they were before.

has anyone had any real experience with these? i have an old pair of bare castings that presure test good . they are new .mike t told me a few years ago he had some valve covers and o rings. so i think i can use these but im wondering why they didnt take off? anyone know?

I'm not certain that they didn't take off. Done by a guy named Wayman, 3 castings were make. Just like Champions, the first run had cracks, and as far as I know, the improved 2nd casting had cracks. Finally the third attempt was done with success.

I've had the same set of M & A's on 3 different engines, so far without cracks. And how I know they're the 3rd run is Dan Strezo told me when I sent them back to him for a rebuild. I originally got them on an S2 engine Dan built but I have swiched them to a stock 109 block which I ran to a best of 9.98. They're now sittting on a different 109 block in my shop.

I also have set of Champions and haven't had any problems. Still runnin them on a stock 109 block...apparently the problems people had were with the 14 bolt ones. Mine are the 8 bolt (or 11 to be correct) with no problems after many years.

If I were you I send them to Dan ... he'd tell you what they are and he'd do them right for you.

that T/A bought em and now manufactures them as T/A heads
they have made some improvements, but pretty much as they were before.

I do not believe that this is true. Yes they did buy the M&A plans but after
evaluation decided to start from a clean sheet of paper. Having worked the
M&A's to some respectable HP numbers I can assure you they are not the
same.

Down to 9.19 @ 145 with a pair of first generation M&As. They've had the typical race port work, nothing out of the box, but are still with the original valve sizes 1.835 and 1.5. My shift point is 7,400 rpm. Redline at 7,800.

talked to dan this morning verry good guy also busy .told me what i need to know. any one else have any experience?

DonWG thats impressive. what cam and what rocker? dan says go with t&d stands ,sounds like good advice.

I'm using Jesels, 1.7 ratio. I had to do some clearance work for the pushrods. Also, valve cover modification to clear the pushrod end of the rockers and modified RJC spacers. The T&D rockers may be more of a bolt in. Don't know. I have no experience with them.

The cam is quite big by anyones standard. If yours is going to see any street use, you don't want one like mine.

I have a set of GenIII M&A's I wish I would have went with Champion R's. First off I haven't even ran the car yet. I just put them on the 109 motor.

1st. I O-Ringed them.

2nd. Saw they had the worst Rocker geometry I have ever seen so I bought the T&D shafts assembly. Great Product! ;)

3rd. I had to machine the T&D shafts so I could get the two rocker cover bolts threw the center of the Valve Cover.

4th. After heads where on I had to pull them off and machine the pushrod holes because the push rods where rubbing.:mad:

5th. You can't run a 1.94 Valve with a 20 bore. :eek: LOL Opps :D So now I have the same 1.94 seats with the Valve machined down to a 1.90. That was my stupid fault.

It has just been one thing after another you'll sink $1,000 to make them right that's if the porting is already all done. Good Luck I hope this helps. :redface: Also TA doesn't have knowledge about these heads and they bought them. I've talked to TA about them! Nobody does your on your own with them it sucks. See there are 3 generations of these heads and nobody knows the difference. T&D as the blue prints of all the M&A styles and they hardly know.

well i think i want to run these on a street car because i cant seem to throw anything remotely resembeling good away. lol it might be an up hill battle so i will start now.

ps does anyone know the valve length?

Those m&a's are the best heads I ever had on my car. My GN1s were ok but kept having valve issues.I would buy used m&as before I would buy new GN1s anyday.
Doug

Those m&a's are the best heads I ever had on my car. My GN1s were ok but kept having valve issues.I would buy used m&as before I would buy new GN1s anyday.
Doug

So are you saying I have something to look forward too. :biggrin: After all the BS. :smile:

m&a heads

I bought a pair of m&a heads off mike[modern muscle] years ago i cleaned up the ports a little even bought comp,rockers for them, i never had any trouble with them, then i bought champion heads. i still have the old m&a stored in the garage . also collecting dust is a pair of champions newest heads and matching ported intake, heads have 14 passes on them , last 5 pairs of stage two bms heads Hell im head poor, and my car still dont go fast enought, good luck with your purchase.:smile:

I have almost 120,000 miles on mine. Eons ago when I first bought them they had some casting porisity in the number 2 intake port that had to be repaired. Mike Licht repaired them no questions asked and they have worked well since then. My only real complaint is the valve cover gaskets grow over time and are a pain to get back on. TA sells new ones for 65 bucks tho. Mine are the standard 1.84 valve size. I do not have the TD rocker set up but would like to find one. My heads use a small block chevy type roller rocker on a stud not the shaft type buick setup.

Good luck

thats a good thing to hear at least some hope for my heads .do you know the valve size? length and head size? who made them?is there any hope in finding some? also spring hight. thanks for the info.

Hey FlightTest, i see you a FTE for F22. I used to work with Tom Morganfied the chief test pilot on that program.
dale

Hybrid 85.

Now that name is a blast from the past. Where did you know him from? Marrietta or Edwards?

M&A head info

Philbilt, I have a copy of the original brochure I got with my M&A heads. It list some specs. I can't seem to resize it to post it here. I'll e-mail it to you.

Chris

here are some pics of my cracked MA head.This is a stage 3 head that was done by Dan.They did made great power 9.10 at 150mph in a 3300 lbs car.
with a small turbo GTQ 74 3 bolt turbo.

Dennis

Attachments

• broken head 001 25%.JPG
    broken head 001 25%.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 482
  • broken head 002 25%.JPG
    broken head 002 25%.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 476
  • broken head 004 25%.JPG
    broken head 004 25%.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 465