You can type here any text you want

Making the tilt steering column safer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
I don't have any pictures on this, so people will have to picture this in their mind.

Has anyone run into the problem of their tilt steering wheel adjusting itself into their lap as you're turning hard on the steering wheel? This would be much more of a problem where steering boxes have been converted to manual steering boxes for drag racing. The manual boxes require much more effort to turn the steering wheel and since most people pull down on the steering wheel during turning, a serious safety issue arises.
Some years ago, on a certain pass down the track that got a little out of shape and required me to do some superhuman steering to straighten her out, the steering wheel tilt went into my lap right in the middle of my struggle to straighten the car out. I had earlier switched to a manual steering box inorder to remove the hydroboost system that my car came with.

The fix is to limit the travel that the tilt steering wheel has so that you don't have the tilt adjust itself on you during a critical time. This fix is also very simple. It requires you to disassemble the tilt steering mechanism to the point of being able to drop a length of steel rod into the middle of the spring that does the job of returning the steering wheel to the most upright position when you pull on the tilt adjuster lever. The steel rod needs to be of the correct length so that the steering wheel will drop down to the driver's preferred position, but will prevent the steering wheel from adjusting any further downward.

I don't have any pictures on this, so people will have to picture this in their mind.

Has anyone run into the problem of their tilt steering wheel adjusting itself into their lap as you're turning hard on the steering wheel? This would be much more of a problem where steering boxes have been converted to manual steering boxes for drag racing. The manual boxes require much more effort to turn the steering wheel and since most people pull down on the steering wheel during turning, a serious safety issue arises.
Some years ago, on a certain pass down the track that got a little out of shape and required me to do some superhuman steering to straighten her out, the steering wheel tilt went into my lap right in the middle of my struggle to straighten the car out. I had earlier switched to a manual steering box inorder to remove the hydroboost system that my car came with.

The fix is to limit the travel that the tilt steering wheel has so that you don't have the tilt adjust itself on you during a critical time. This fix is also very simple. It requires you to disassemble the tilt steering mechanism to the point of being able to drop a length of steel rod into the middle of the spring that does the job of returning the steering wheel to the most upright position when you pull on the tilt adjuster lever. The steel rod needs to be of the correct length so that the steering wheel will drop down to the driver's preferred position, but will prevent the steering wheel from adjusting any further downward.

Wow, thanks for the post...

Are you sure the problem isn't that the 4 bolts holding the center section have come loose? That's a common problem on tilt columns. Use Loctite on them and do all 4. I bet this fix would eliminate your concern.

Are you sure the problem isn't that the 4 bolts holding the center section have come loose? That's a common problem on tilt columns. Use Loctite on them and do all 4. I bet this fix would eliminate your concern.

I agree. Just had mine apart for a T-Brake mod & they were fine but I took them out & used red lock tite them. That spring is pretty beefy.

Nope. Nothing was loose when I went into the unit. It's been around 4 or 5 years ago that I did the mod to the tilt mechanism. I looked for wear that would explain the problem. Found none.

probably be easier to just put a non tilt column in the car.

The tilt feature is still very useful when having to climb out of a racing seat (high sides) with a roll cage to dodge. If a person were to replace the column, it would be best to install a true racing type column with a removable steering wheel.

I've had this happen in cars when we've had to push them instead of drive them. It's usually because of wear on the teeth. Not a bad idea Donnie and I may have to do it on the new one. Thanks.

I've had this happen to me, it's definitely a safety issue.

Thanks for the info Don.

Do you have an example of what that looks like assembled?

Here is a few of mine. I had to make a spacer to go between the splined gear and the back of the column. You can kinda see it in the one pic. Otherwise the hub would be so close you couldn't get your fingers in there to release it.

Scott

Attachments

• Wheel hub.jpg
    Wheel hub.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Wheel-1.jpg
    Wheel-1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 152
Back