Massive oil loss

Sending unit replaced and no more leak. Still having a hard time believing it failed. Ill talked to my engine builder about oil, he's the one who recommended the higher weight oil.

Higher weight puts stress on the cam gear as that is what turns the pump. And with it not "moving" due to being thick it takes longer to get to the back of the engine on start up. Your engine, your call. He might have set it up loose and needs that thick oil to maintain pressure.

Some oil info. It is the mobile link but if you are on a desktop I'm sure you can search up lake speed real tuners 56

Sending unit replaced and no more leak. Still having a hard time believing it failed. Ill talked to my engine builder about oil, he's the one who recommended the higher weight oil.
Well that the thing, hot idle oil pressure was 25psi. Before I put it back on the road ill do my research.

You should Buick tight clearances on bearings so there's no need to stress everything with 20w50. Drop down to 10w40 or 10w30.

You should Buick tight clearances on bearings so there's no need to stress everything with 20w50. Drop down to 10w40 or 10w30.
What brand oil. Maybe my engine builder suggested 20w50 because he thought I would be racing the car. Since the engine was rebuilt I've hit 15 psi a handful of times. Engine builder is Dave Roland.

Delvac 1300 is has high zinc and the 15w40 is popular with several TBs owners around here.

Ok fellas, I drained the oil and I didn't find and metal debris and then I carefully as I could cut the filter and took the filter medium out. I ran a magnet and it appears that I found a metal shaving about 4mm long and 1mm in width. The interesting thing is the shaving itself appears to be magnetic. Now are there any components that in the motor, such as bearings, etc. That are magnetic? Any advice on what to next as further diagnostics to if the lost of oil pressure caused things to get chewed up. I would hate to ruin anything that's not already ruined by trying to run the engine. I was thinking of dropping the oil pan to see if there are any shavings in there. I'm not qualified to remove the main caps, inspect the bearings and replace the caps.

Ok fellas, I drained the oil and I didn't find and metal debris and then I carefully as I could cut the filter and took the filter medium out. I ran a magnet and it appears that I found a metal shaving about 4mm long and 1mm in width. The interesting thing is the shaving itself appears to be magnetic. Now are there any components that in the motor, such as bearings, etc. That are magnetic? Any advice on what to next as further diagnostics to if the lost of oil pressure caused things to get chewed up. I would hate to ruin anything that's not already ruined by trying to run the engine. I was thinking of dropping the oil pan to see if there are any shavings in there. I'm not qualified to remove the main caps, inspect the bearings and replace the caps.
I just went through a turbo change on my motor not quite finished. My turbo started acting up on a 300 mile trip. At 150 miles in to trip I lost boost. When I got home pulled turbo, had locked up. So I pulled my oil pan to inspect for metal. I hadn't pulled my pan in 7 years. Found vary small amounts of metal, smaller than grains of salt. Well what im getting at is the way the stock oil pans are made they collect junk in the bottom. I would pull your oil pan every so often to inspect, pan and oil pick up. Dennis

I try not to get into the "while you are there" trap. If it isn't making noises, and the thing it running well, I'd send it. A new wix 51036 and quality oil and drive it like you stole it. Mine has been beaten for 175k miles with one hg failure due to operator error and a bunch of transmissions. It is still running but will be down for a while due to a little problem that ran into it.

As the cars n cameras Ike sez, " It'll be fine"

If you didn't use an oil filter cutting tool, you got metal from the can in there. I use a billet oil filter and can take it apart and clean it out. There is always some crap particles in there. That's what it's for. I believe you are obsessing over this. Drive it and and don't think about it. I had the same obsession with the water temp. Cure was to eliminate the gauge. Get a K&P oil filter and just expect to see junk in it. That's how you know it's working.

If you didn't use an oil filter cutting tool, you got metal from the can in there. I use a billet oil filter and can take it apart and clean it out. There is always some crap particles in there. That's what it's for. I believe you are obsessing over this. Drive it and and don't think about it. I had the same obsession with the water temp. Cure was to eliminate the gauge. Get a K&P oil filter and just expect to see junk in it. That's how you know it's working.
I think you're right. Time to put her back together and enjoy it for the remainder of the year.

If you only found one metal chip, you should be good as TeX and Pronto said. Time to hit the road! A really toasted engine will many times have a silver glitter mess in the oil.