Massive oil loss

Oil pressure may not be what's causing the leak. It could be slinging off the cam gear and out somewhere a gasket has failed or missed its mark. You may find nothing by priming it.
I hope so, when I started it with 7 quarts of oil in it, it squirted out from what appeared to be the oil pump housing facing the engine.

This is what I'm going to do. I was trying to do it yesterday, but my battery had died. I've gotten the PTE SLIC removed and I can almost see where I felt the oil leaking from. I need a dental mirror to make sure I can see. If it is leaking from the pump mating to the front cover, I would certainly like to know what caused it. My oil pressure on cold start was always at 80 psi and at hot idle 25 psi. I do know the pump was rebuilt with the engine rebuild, but it's not a high volume pump. Hopefully I will be able to take a look at it this evening. Hopefully it is some freak failure and I didn't hurt the bearing or the engine in general. If I toasted my engine, I'm probably going to rebuild with 3800 Series II. I already have a machined block, crank, main caps, heads and ARP hardware for the mains and heads.
that oil pressure seems awfully high. What weight oil are you using?

Could that be the issue that caused the gasket/seal to pop?
Anyway i want to know if i have the CAM sensor positioned correctly to remove it. I took a picture with the cap off and a picture of the balancer where the 25* TDC are showing.

Attachments

• 20190830_163955.jpg
    20190830_163955.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190830_163757.jpg
    20190830_163757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 20190830_163743.jpg
    20190830_163743.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190830_163629.jpg
    20190830_163629.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190830_163617.jpg
    20190830_163617.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 34
Ok found the leak dont know how it happened just yet. The stock oil pressure transducer is leaking through the prunges!!!### I'm hoping it was just a piece of crap defect. I hope it wasnt shrapnel through the oiling system that destroyed it. On the flip side I hope a $9 defective piece didnt ruin my motor.

Ok found the leak dont know how it happened just yet. The stock oil pressure transducer is leaking through the prunges!!!### I'm hoping it was just a piece of crap defect. I hope it wasnt shrapnel through the oiling system that destroyed it. On the flip side I hope a $9 defective piece didnt ruin my motor.
Had the OPSU blow apart on an '82 Regal V6 on the highway way back when. replaced it, all was well:cool:

Only because I've had it happen to me. Glad he got it fixed. New doesn't always equal good/functional.

I believe the trust but verify is a way of life.

I've had a powermaster switch leak through the body so yes, those transducers can fail.

Only because I've had it happen to me. Glad he got it fixed. New doesn't always equal good/functional.

I believe the trust but verify is a way of life.
When i read your post, that failure mode went to the back of list. I said no way. Well i watched it squirt like something else!