Measuring tools needed to build motor

MIKE10SECV6

I am in the process of putting together my spare motor and would like to know what measuring tools that are best suited to do the job properly.
I am a firm beleaver that if you want the job done right,you gotta do it yourself!
Machine work has been done and i want to check everything over.
Due to past bad experiences,i am willing, and have the time to put the motor together myself.

Thanks,

Mike.;)

I use a cheap set of Mics 0-6 and a cheap dial bore guage ( .0005 which if your good, you can be close to within .0002) which can be had at most local car show /swap meets. I think i paid 70 for the dial bore, and around the same for the mics. You will need a good streight edge, a Sterrit goes for around 35. Feeler gauges from Sears will be fine, but the only torque wrench i'll use is a Snap-on.
So, for a bare minimum dollar on measureing tools, your looking at around $500, plus the other hand tools necessary for the job at hand.
Just my o2 and good luck....

How tight are you with your machine shop guy? I myself ask him to check it with his dial bore gauge while I am there. He can also check thrust while there. As a matter of fact all of it! Buy the cheap tools and re-check the things you can before putting it together:

-magnetic base with a dial indicator ($50) to check end play
-feeler gauges ($5) to check ring gaps and rod side clearance
-plastigauge ($5) to check rod and main bearing clearance
-precision straight edge ($35) to check the deck and head flatness
-pushrod length checker ($25) to spec out the proper pushrod
-oil pump priming tool ($20) to prime it up before firing

a good set of snap-gauges helps with measureing inside diameters of connecting rods for bearing clearances..among other things

Intercooler:
I myself ask him to check it with his dial bore gauge while I am there.

Thats all fine and dandy, but .....
The first machine shop i brought my block too w/ billit caps sent the line bore out to a shop that I said in conversation not to send anything too, totaly screwd my line bore up and on top of that, we measured it IN IS SHOP w/ HIS mics. Everything lookd fine to w/in .0003. I said cool. Got it home, the flats of the caps were not parrallel w/ each other by over .0045, and the bore size was off by .003. Useing his guages in his shop aint worth squat. Ya gotta measure it yourself !!!!
Of the xxx amout of motors ive built, aint lost 1 yet due to my screw up...cept for the 172 Ford Industrial Diesel which the oil pump drive shaft let loose, it was marginal and i reused it. Only lost a rod bearing, crank was fine:) Oh well, my boss got over it, and come to think about it, I dont work there no more :) Just 1 of the many stepping stones on the path to sucess :cool: