You can type here any text you want

mini-starter options?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SpeeednV6

I looked up and still confused. LT4 Corvette seems best but there are Chevy mini-starters out there as well. Do any other cars use these type starters? Many on ebay and don't know what to look for...i.e. HP, teeth, etc. My dino-sized starter froze up today and I'm looking to upgrade.

just look for a starter for a Chevy V8 or inline 6 with the 153 tooth ring gear.
every LT1 ever built would have a good starter. this includes the 92-96 Corvette, 93-97 Camaro, and 94-96 Caprice..

i have the LT4 starter in my car- it's the smallest and lightest of the bunch. i think i had to change the terninal on the purple wire from the ignition switch to fit the larger stud on the starter.

I have a LT4 starter on my car as well. No mods, bolted right in. I did have to get two special bolts from GM though. Been working fine for a while. The wiring was kinda tight so just be aware of that.

Easily dropped 10lbs. off the car and alot more room around the crossover pipe.

The LT1 starter will fit, but is more expensive and about 1 pound heavier.

Both should be readily available as a reman unit in your area.

Do a search for mini starter SBC on evilbay and you can find a bunch of them. I got the gear reduction type myself. Spins fast and we also use them on other cars as well. Only had one fail in 6 years so far and all of them are gear reduction type. They are a little more expensive than the PMG type but hold up better and are the same design as the Tiltons that cost a whole lot more.:)

That's just like the one we've been using Chuck.;) I think you'll like the way it starts the car faster.:D

Well, I couldn't get the mini to fit, it is completely universal, but no matter which way I rotated it, it just won't fit...
The 1st rotation the solenoid was straight up and not enough clearance to fit, 2nd rotation and I had to bend the heat shield and the crossover pipe wouldn't fit, and the last rotation the wires are all to short to bolt up with the solenoid straight down.... boooooooooooooo

Chuck

Well, I couldn't get the mini to fit, it is completely universal, but no matter which way I rotated it, it just won't fit...
The 1st rotation the solenoid was straight up and not enough clearance to fit, 2nd rotation and I had to bend the heat shield and the crossover pipe wouldn't fit, and the last rotation the wires are all to short to bolt up with the solenoid straight down.... boooooooooooooo

Chuck

Reviving and old thread. Was this issue ever resolved???

Csr here fits great no issues
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1392476142.362703.jpg

Be careful on the mini starters on ebay and even some GM ones, the internal gears are nylon. Kirban sells one with steel gears. The OE's get away with nylon gears by delaying the ignition for a split second to be sure the engine is already cranking. I have one off the other board several years old and no issues but I don't know about my internal gears.

Here's the one I finally decided on and installed. I'm not sure it's from the LT1 or LT4, but it can be had from Advance Auto by asking for the starter from a 96 Corvette with the 5.7
But I got mine from a local vendor; Thanks GNS Performance!!!!
It sure sounds different. More like a sorta Mopar sound.

NOTE: I did have to buy the same bolts pictured with the starter, because for some reason the one's supplied with the starter were just a bit short. The nurling didn't go up into the mounting pad as they should. But the 45640's are just right.

Important NOTE: This picture is upside down. The motor (black part) mounts UP and the solenoid mounts down. Where the bolt heads in this picture are, mounts up against the block pad.

lt4 starter.jpg

Last edited:
Dave did you have any problems with the wires hooking up with ease , I tried one like that and the wires did not fit to well or at all , so I went with this one instead .

$(KGrHqFHJBkFBRkuV0(lBRu38BQURw~~60_57.jpg

Not really any problems. The start wire was "almost" too short, but a very mild tug got over the stud, and when it slipped down on the stud the strain was relieved. So it worked out perfectly.
I thought at first the ring terminal may be too small also, but it ended up just fitting the stud.

Not really any problems. The start wire was "almost" too short, but a very mild tug got over the stud, and when it slipped down on the stud the strain was relieved. So it worked out perfectly.
I thought at first the ring terminal may be too small also, but it ended up just fitting the stud.

Thats the LT4 starter. Ive had one on my GN for a few years. My wires were the same way. A little snug but they fit. Works great.

I love the new sound. And the weight savings was a huge plus for a old guy like me trying to hold the starter up in there with one hand while trying to get a bolt started with the other.

Back