Mini Starter

ANT2

Anyone having problems with those cheap mini starters from "Big Al and other sources? I purchased two within the last 2 years and both eventually stripped the cheap nylon sun gear in both. Does anyone kanow where I can pick up a repalcement sun gear perferablly a iron replacement. Also what year F-body mini starter fits our cars?:mad:

Anyone having problems with those cheap mini starters from "Big Al and other sources? I purchased two within the last 2 years and both eventually stripped the cheap nylon sun gear in both. Does anyone kanow where I can pick up a repalcement sun gear perferablly a iron replacement. Also what year F-body mini starter fits our cars?:mad:

Lt1 starters fit our cars. i recently got one off ebay, i think it may have been listed as around a 93 camaro starter. hth

I have two on the bench that are basically brand new except for that POS nylon gear.

Any V-8 f-body from 93-97 will have the LT1 starter, or 93-96 Impala, Caprice.

This thread reminds me of the damn Ramchargers dual fans that everybody liked until they began failing. So now I am in the market for a new starter. Should I just get the factory replacement or is there something better? I would like my starter to last more than a couple of years.

This thread reminds me of the damn Ramchargers dual fans that everybody liked until they began failing. So now I am in the market for a new starter. Should I just get the factory replacement or is there something better? I would like my starter to last more than a couple of years.

The oem LT1 starters don't fail prematurely.... it's the 'bargain' units with the plastic gear that aren't lasting...

Starter Bolts

Does anyone know the GM part numbers for the 2 bolts that are used to bolt the starter to the block?

The oem LT1 starters don't fail prematurely.... it's the 'bargain' units with the plastic gear that aren't lasting...

I've had both fail and the nylon gear doesn't hold up well to the high heat we see in our engine compartments.

I recently bought a SBC mini starter from Summit that was on the clearance table. It seems if you take some material off the mounting block they will work without to many issues. I also have a box of the LT1 mini starters laying around. Someone needs to make a high TQ mini starter mounting block that'll work with the Hitachi motor. Would be pretty easy to do and I know I would've been in the market for one. Those LT1 starters are crap IMO especially on a higher power car that makes a lot of heat.

I've had both fail and the nylon gear doesn't hold up well to the high heat we see in our engine compartments.

I recently bought a SBC mini starter from Summit that was on the clearance table. It seems if you take some material off the mounting block they will work without to many issues. I also have a box of the LT1 mini starters laying around. Someone needs to make a high TQ mini starter mounting block that'll work with the Hitachi motor. Would be pretty easy to do and I know I would've been in the market for one. Those LT1 starters are crap IMO especially on a higher power car that makes a lot of heat.

Which starter would you recommend?

Does anyone know the GM part numbers for the 2 bolts that are used to bolt the starter to the block?

I found these numbers in another thread for the bolts. If they are wrong don't blame me: LT-1 Mini starter for 93-97 LT1 10465293 delco# 323-488 bolt #'s 14037733 and 12338064.

I don't know if you wanted the stock bolts or the bolts for the mini starter.

Which starter would you recommend?

That's my point there isn't any other alternatives. I know someone was selling Hitachi's for the Buick awhile ago but I cant seem to find anyone selling them. I have a Tilton for a roundy round Buick I am going to make my own starter block for and make work. Tilton uses the Hitachi motors.

I use the starter from the 1996 Vette:

10455709 - High Torque Starter (Nippodenso)
12338064 - bolt
14037733 - bolts

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

+1 on the LT4 starter. Weights very little. And hasnt missed a beat yet.(knock on wood). These are the same bolts 12338064 - bolt 14037733 - that I ordered from pace performance and it bolted right in. Didnt even have to play around with the battery post, just pulled the pos. cable a tiny bit.

I have experience with both

I use the starter from the 1996 Vette:

10455709 - High Torque Starter (Nippodenso)
12338064 - bolt
14037733 - bolts

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The Denso (LT4) is IMO, hands down better than the LT1.
I have an LT1 on my car (Delco) but would like to have the LT4.
May check pricing @ one of the local discount stores.
GM price for a new one is out of sight. Even my price (wholesale)

x3 or x4 on the LT4, sounds like a blower motor starting. no problems yet, starts right up every time, very light compared to the metal coffen I pulled out! Craigslist is your friend. I got mine really cheap.