You can type here any text you want

Mismatched intake head alignment

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TT/Ameasap

The White Blur
My Felpro 1200 gasket is perfectly matched to my new TA Eliminator heads, but my race ported stock intake is out of alignment with the 1200. So this would put it out of alignment of the heads on the car. It seems that the material on the intake would be too thin if I ported anymore on the runner. Can I just make a bevel to match or would that hinder flow? What are you guys doing to fix this issue?

Heads larger than intake OK ?? Intake larger than heads could cause problems. ( 5 gal into a 3 gal. hole) etc..................

When an intake is proved it’s usually ported to match the gasket as well.

Sounds like the intake was ported incorrectly. possibly.

Pics would help showing what’s going on.

D

No. The intake was professionally ported by Weber. It was ported to the other gasket (stock style) and matched perfectly. The felpro 1200 is way bigger and matches the heads, but not the intake. Im just going to run it. I will upgrade later for a champion race intake. Thnaks

My champion race intake came matched to 1200's out of the box

Tom must've shipped them both ways. Better specify what you want when ordering

You cannot get the entire runner length opened up to fit the 1200. There is not enough material to work with. we ultra sonic tested ours and left about 080=090 thou wall thickness in the thin areas, kept the runner sizes equal to each other through the tapered sections and left the openings about .015 smaller than the heads to allow for some lateral movement and called it done. I do have a stock intake that had about 3 pounds of tig weld added to it if someone wanted to get serious with the grinders.

I may be wrong, but wouldnt a bigger intake change the RPM range too? Or is that for N/A motors only

JB Weld works great to port match to the 1200 Felpro. Grind to bare aluminum and pour some of it into the sides of the port. (Before porting). Epoxy putty is probably easier to make work. Skilled finishing and aluminum paint ant it'll look stock. I prefere this method over welding it up. I've added 4-5 POUNDS of aluminum rod to an intake before and now use epoxy instead.

No. The intake was professionally ported by Weber. It was ported to the other gasket (stock style) and matched perfectly. The felpro 1200 is way bigger and matches the heads, but not the intake. Im just going to run it. I will upgrade later for a champion race intake. Thnaks

This is why the guys that are truly in the know... will require the heads , intake, gaskets .. PRIOR to even touching any of the ports ...
and because of this methodology the results speak for themselves

This is why the guys that are truly in the know... will require the heads , intake, gaskets .. PRIOR to even touching any of the ports ...
and because of this methodology the results speak for themselves
I think Weber is in "The Know". They did the longblock with the TTA heads. Combo ran more than enough to cover low 10's on 25 psi.
If the step was the other way, I would be more concerned with turbulence, although I will probably have some eddy formations from this setup.
An intake is pretty easy to swap out, so Im good for now and we'll see how she runs.

I think Weber is in "The Know". They did the longblock with the TTA heads. Combo ran more than enough to cover low 10's on 25 psi.
If the step was the other way, I would be more concerned with turbulence, although I will probably have some eddy formations from this setup.
An intake is pretty easy to swap out, so Im good for now and we'll see how she runs.

I didn't say WEBER wasn't .. I said that guys that are in the KNOW will not touch a set of heads, or intake to do port work without having the entire picture in front of them
and this is why when they give you a turn key solution it performs much better than all the mismatched parts people just slap on.

No offense .. if the combo was so good why switch it ?? If it would cover low 10's why didn't it ?

Simpler combos have tripped 130 .. its the small details that make the difference... mismatched parts are the biggest reason these things don't perform... just sayin

TTA heads cannot take the power. It has been proven for many years... They lift no matter what. My car/combo was no exception.

I identified a problem and wanted to see if there were other solutions to it..And obviously there are.
Were talking about an intake here, not a combo.
If you want to talk about my combo, I can do that so you get a better idea of a good one.

TTA heads cannot take the power. It has been proven for many years... They lift no matter what. My car/combo was no exception.

I identified a problem and wanted to see if there were other solutions to it..And obviously there are.
Were talking about an intake here, not a combo.
If you want to talk about my combo, I can do that so you get a better idea of a good one.
Your barking up the wrong tree Bo.. Im no newbie to the ttas .. And for your info tta heads have gone a hell of alot faster than your mid 125 run with a hell of alot less shit done to the car.. I was offering up a mere pointer .. Guys that know their shit WILL NOT port heads without having the intake to match.. But heck what do they know .. They only ran 130+ with the tta heads

Im not afraid of changing an intake. Simple enough. However, I dont have the money to buy one today. My stuff has been down way too long to wait.
Not trying to be a jerk, but I havent seen any numbers from you in a LONG time.
My MPH was way off from 1/8th to 1/4 because I was stuck at 52-5300 rpm with the new converter. 102 in the 1/8 and picking up only 21mph on the big end was RPM related.

Dont worry, I will make you proud this season yet tho!

Im not afraid of changing an intake. Simple enough. However, I dont have the money to buy one today. My stuff has been down way too long to wait.
Not trying to be a jerk, but I havent seen any numbers from you in a LONG time.
My MPH was way off from 1/8th to 1/4 because I was stuck at 52-5300 rpm with the new converter. 102 in the 1/8 and picking up only 21mph on the big end was RPM related.

Dont worry, I will make you proud this season yet tho!
I'm sure it will run great .. And if it doesn't at least it will look great.. Also give you a reason for another build :)

No reason to buy a champion aftermarket style intake unless you plan on running 8s. Stock ported intake can get you high 8s.

Port to 1200 at flange and then gentle taper in with a factory intake....just not enough meat to maintain same 1200 port crosssection through the runners.

Back