mmmm Oil!!!!

macatoni

Buick Powered
Got everything back together and for the most part she is running flawless. I put bigger one piece vavles in the heads and ported the bowls to match the valves. I also put .051 cometic multi layer steel headgaskets to not only raise compression but give me a more resistant to detonation head gasket.

Alright so i rushed out the garage and didnt tighten the valve cover bolts on the passenger side. OIL WENT EVERYWHERE!!!! tightened the bolts and im still spraying oil but i cant figure out where. It lightly sprays onto windshield through the cowl hood only under boost! Am i looking at the valve cover or the intake? The rear of the intake looks dry but there is a pool of oil on top near the injectors. Since it was spraying i figured there might only be a couple of places it could leak like that?

Any help or leads are appreciated, im gonna go mess with it now but im gonna come back and check the board periodically today. I also got to get to the muffler shop for a new exhaust hanger, cause i never thought id say it but that straight downpipe is way to loud and gives me a headache driving around time

So close yet so far!!!!

do any of the exhaust manifold bolts go through an oil gally? I think its sprayign from one of the bolts?

No ones got any other ideas? I imagine if the intake wasnt sealed it would throw my INT and BLM numbers off....

David

Cometics , Hate them

:) My cometics drip oil like no other! Although they do not spray out.
I hate them and will be replacing them with the RJC

macatoni said:
do any of the exhaust manifold bolts go through an oil gally? I think its sprayign from one of the bolts?

If they do- You've got a REAL problem(your heads don't have any pressurized oil galleys in them). I suppose you could have a leaky exhaust gasket and be launching some oil that's dripping on it from the rocker cover(a slim possibility). Any noises in that area?

no noises, i tightened everything up and i drove it around burning oil off the top of the motor but got a head ache before i could burn it all off! IM gonna go again tommorow. It has a slight hesistation and almost like a misfire at around 3 psi while holding the peddle steady. Any less gas and it goes away, and any more gas and it goes away....

The only place I've actually seen oil spray from was a bad oil pressure switch. Are you certain your rocker cover gasket is positioned correctly(though that wouldn't be spraying)? The hesitation could be your TPS. Have you tested it for a smooth/graduated voltage increase while slowly working the pedal(engine off)?

Not to throw any negative comments in but if you installed .051 thick HG's your compression will be lower...not higher...I installed the RJC double steel shim HG's which were around .036 so I raised my compression a little...I'm pretty sure the stock HG's are less than .051...now if you had the block/heads surfaced and took some meat off then maybe...

i meant lower sorry just typing faster then i was thinking! PCV is dry as well, im just about at the point where im gonna start taking it apart, down to the intake at least... This is REALLY frusterating...

mmmm oil

yesterday it was clear,went for about 50 mile cruise,got on it couple of times,nothing more than a few seconds,felt fine,normal.Got about 500 miles on complete rebuild.about a block from house got into boost a little,not even WOT,looked in mirror,oil smoke,not out of tailpipes but trailing car.Turned corner pulled in driveway,shut off.raise hood,oil spray all over,further inspection lower passenger side mostly.Smoke caused from oil on downpipe.turbo shield and fan assembly dry.no leaks visible on oil lines.could oil press. sending unit cause this and what is approx location. sorry for long post.breathers relatively dry. thanks

Degrease it all with brake cleaner.. make sure there is no oil anywhere.. then drive around block.. and start inspecting.

Back of intake coule be leaking. You may also be leaking from the tip of the HG to the seal area on the back of the intake. Again.. brake clean everything.. go find the drip.

Hard to fix oil leaks on keyboards.

HTH

Double check you valve cover gaskets. The gasket possably moved around after you fired it up and then tightend them down.

Craig

Happy new year!! PS, I really was hoping I could fix it from the keyboard!! Thanks for help as always.BTW,its my Julios alcohol kit and my right foot that's causing all these issues!!

Lower passemger side is either oil pan or oil pump related. I had a brand new timing cover with a casting defect.. the hotter the oil got.. the thinner.. the more it would leak.

There is a sending unit, passemger side, where the turbo feed lin goes into the block.

A can of brake cleaner is your best friend. And let the ngine get really hot.. this is when oil flows out easiest.

HTH and keep that right foot in check :D

Something else to check. If you using an aftermarket timing cover, there is a small hole near the cam sensor. There should a small allen head set screw in there. If you have one, the oil could be migrating from this location and the coolant fan throwing it onto the windshield.

Just a thought.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com