You can type here any text you want

Mod ATR headers or buy new TA 4- bolts what to do?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

chasmat2316

I'm looking to convert over to a 4 bolt Tang- v-band style turbo. The headers I have now are Real ATR 3-bolts. I was thinking of modding them buy cutting the old 3bolt flange off & replacing with 4-bolt flange & a larger tube, Or should I just sell them & buy new 4-bolt headers? How well would a tang turbo fit with just a 3-4 adapter plate? Does anyone sell an off the shelf down pipe for TA 4-bolts with a tang turbo? Thanx for all info!

Sell your 3 bolt headers and buy a new set of TA's.

Rjc Headgasket

I just wanted to ask did you ever go back and retorqued your RJC headgasket step 10.I'm in the purposes of doing it what a pain after not to long ago blown HG.

I've been wondering the same thing. Seems to me that the ATR's would work better than a log style manifold.

I just wanted to ask did you ever go back and retorqued your RJC headgasket step 10.I'm in the purposes of doing it what a pain after not to long ago blown HG.
yes

I would just use a 3 bolt to 4 bolt conversion adaptor. There is not alot of power to be had changing headers. As a matter of fact, there is NO reason to go to TA headers. A 3 to 4 bolt adaptor is a simple deal. If you need a 4 bolt flange, then you are probably making enough power to actually NEED the ATR headers. In most cases, ATR headers slowed most combinations down. At about 10.20's there is a gain to the ATR headers. If you need to change the location of the turbo, just cut off the 3 bolt flange and add a 4 bolt flange and a piece of tubing to move it where you need to. The ATR headers are a good design, though, there are clearance issues with them. Some of the headers were made a little off, and the cross-over tube would ride HARD on the passenger side upper control arm. When I went with the ATR headers as the foundation of my twin turbo's, I had to completely modify the cross-over tube to miss the control arm. Here are pic's of the modifications needed:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/221466-new-twin-turbo-headers.html

I've been wondering the same thing. Seems to me that the ATR's would work better than a log style manifold.

I was thinking the same, how can a log style be better than ATR's? I would be easy to just buy new 4 bolts. I have a 3bolt-4 bolt adaptor, but not sure if that's the route to take. I might cut the tube & flange & redo. Still looking for all input. thanks

Is there any documented info on the gains of TA over ATR? Not disagreeing with you, I just have no clue and would like to see factual data, cause I have a set of ATR's right now. But at the same token, I have nothing to compare them to because they replaced my stock headers.

I am using a set of converted 3 bolt headers to 4 bolt that used to be on Da Pumpkin. I have been over 132 in the 660' and over 163 in the 1/4 so I'd say they are pretty good units.

There are many variables that could affect performance so to make a claim that just switching to the TA's over ATR's and picking up without some solid data on WHY you went faster doesn't really tell us much.

Turbo relo will affect the IC piping, the hood clearance, intake piping, etc.

Back