Monte LS Headlights project (photo)

84WHSTLR

I'm trying this again; someone please post a reply if the attachment works-I cannot view it right away and thought it failed last time so I changed the post title.

This is my resto project of two years with Monte LS headlights in a modified header panel. I thought I would post it since people wonder what the swap would look like. My lights are not set where they belong, they are just shoved in there and not adjusted or even wired up. That's why they look crooked-they are!
I didn't have time to finish them this fall and, obviously, winter is setting in. (Pic was taken Thanksgiving day) The car is in cold storage until May. I need to finish the front end then lower the car, then......, then........., then......., etc.

Attachments

• grand (x) (2).jpg
    grand (x) (2).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 580
Still not sure what I think, but it is definately the best single headlight conversion I've seen yet. Good work.

This gives the car an interesting look. I think it works well with the clear turnsignal/parking lamps. If those were amber, then I don't think this would work as well.

Also, this mod makes the car look like a die-cast model. Nice looking, but not quite believable.

Still, I give you credit for thinking outta the box. Reminds me of the round headlight thread from a while back.

I think it looks sharp personally, nice to see someone trying something instead of having a GN that looks like everyone else's.

That's what I was going for-something different. I love GN's but it seems that if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Of course, I'm talking about seeing one drive by. (some are heavily modified)They look the same except for possibly different wheels. I wanted a small change that would still keep the GN identity. Non-GN owners don't even notice the difference. I have ridiculous amounts of work into the swap and am not completely sold on it myself. I started out thinking I would have aero turn signals but would have had to cut into the fender for that so I had to retain stockers that stick out instead of being flush with the headlights.
I cut the header panel up with a dremel tool. The area above the headlights is straight across on a stock header panel. It had to be angled to fit the angled LS headlights. The area was brought out to meet the corners of the grille. The bumper fillers then had to be angled to match, then cut and modified where they turn out by the grille. I also cut the stock headlight buckets out and grafted the Monte buckets in so the headlights could be bolted in and easily adjusted.
I also cut the divider out of the headlight bezels and lengthened the bezels about a half inch then filled the gaps. As you can tell, crazy amounts of work, and not really worth it. I swore at myself a lot for even starting on it but really wanted to see it out.
I do think it looks good (more mean) from straight on but I don't have any more pics. Gives he car a slightly more modern look. Fringe benefits will be brighter lighting options and easier cleaning (bugs are bad here in summer).

I'm with you, see 1 seen them all, nice mod. you have big cahonas to cut up a good header panel though.:eek:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

PLEASE DO A WRITE UP ON THIS

I used to own a MCLS and I loved the headlights....

Hey 84whstlr, I like those wheels. Are those Torq Thrust 2 Classics (CL205) or did you paint the spokes black on the regular polished ones? Also, what size are they? Thanks for any info.......

I've toyed w/ the idea of aero headlite (thought they would modernize & set off the G/N a little) but I have zilch skills in doing a rework like that. I think it looks cool and subtle:cool:
please post on progress and how-to!
D.

Originally posted by Six Banger
Hey 84whstlr, I like those wheels. Are those Torq Thrust 2 Classics (CL205) or did you paint the spokes black on the regular polished ones? Also, what size are they? Thanks for any info.......

Yeah I'm interested in this info too....always liked the TT's, but was not real fond of the TT2's. I like the grey centers much better, and yours look like they're 16's or 17's?

Thanks
Steve

Looks cool. I wanted to do this years ago with the Cutlass headlights, but never got around to it.

[:)

I like it. With a GN though I would be sure to keep all the original parts in case you ever sold it or wanted to put it back. I did something similar with my Cutlass but it was just a plane Cutlass.
Have you had a chance to try and adjust them yet? Just wondering how well they will line up.

Lauren Engineering sells fiberglass buckets for mounting 87-90 Celebrity lights into the Monte Carlo SS. The Celebrity headlights are the same size as a pair of rectangular sealed beams and will likely be easier to fit in the Buick. The MCLS lights are an odd size that will only fit its original header.