Moog 5658 front spring results

Moog springs can be had from the parts store for around $60. The spinldes can be purchased from ATS otherwise I purchased the AFX package from Marcus at Savitske Classic & Custom. It will come with the SPC double adjustable uppers and the spindles. The spinldes have C5 hubs machined into the so the C5 brakes bolt right up!! They are very very nice! If you do go this route, let me know, I can help you buy the C5 brake parts. I researched everything and got the best prices.

Jsta6, thanks, looking forward to getting the results! I looked for a spring rate on the 5385's but i could find it anywhere. I'll keep looking!

As far as the front goes, why not just do tall lower ball joints and the Moog 5658 springs? That will get you 25.5" and correct the front end geometery allowing you to run larger wheels without rubbing. Probably wouldnt cost too much more than the spindles.

I already have the spindles, and I only plan to cruise the car....I dont care that much about corner carving a G body, thats what my other cars are better suited for and Road Atl tested and proved capeable. So I need a 1" drop moog Front, and a 2" moog dropped rear.... Any suggestions?

I see! Might as well use what you have! I'm curious to see what the 5385 rear springs end up being as far as drop. Once jsta6 post his reults, I'll figure out the drop! Otherwise, my BellTech rear springs dropped my car 1.5". I know the Suspension Tech rears are the same as the BellTechs and may be had for a little less $$$.

Now I wish I hadnt sold my Susp Tech springs, I had NIB, and when I got the air ride started, I sold them. Now I need another set. Stupid me.

I would try to find just the rear springs if you can. The fronts are junk. They have a tendensy to wear quickly.

Heres a couple pics Shawn Heisel (TA49-WE4)'s bad ass car. He said he is going to send more pics. His set up is using 5658 front springs, stock BJ's, stock spindles, and using the rubber isolators. The rear has 5413's with the rubber isolators and 5lb's in the airbags. Looks damn good!

Shawn sent me a little more info on his car, I figured I should post it up. Here is his email:

Jeremy,

Hey thanks for posting those pictures of my car on turbobuick.com.

Was going to let you know, as you seem to be answering a lot of questions on there that my car is:

Front 25 3/4" from top of wheel well to the ground. 235/60/15 tire

Rear is just a touch under 26 3/4" from top of wheel well to the ground. 275/50/15 tire

Stock rubber isolators from GM on the front and energy suspension on the back.

The measurements are after 600 miles of driving.

Taking off for hotrod power tour in the morning so I should have plenty of good pictures to send you when I get back.

Gt 61-63 turbo, 24lb's of boost on 100% E85, 79lb injectors, XP double pumper, 3000 9 1/2 lockup stall with fully built trans, turbotweak tune, etc, etc. Hope to turn some heads and show what a little 3.8 can do!

Printed off some maps of E85 gas stations so hopefully I don't run out in between stops.

Later shawn

Could you measure the rear from the ground to the bottom of the quarter panel lip above the tire on the GN with the 5385's? Then let me know what size tire you are running and I'll figure out how much it dropped the car! ------Jeremy

Here you go. I have a Optima deep cycle marine battery and a amp on the passenger side in the spare tire area. No spare or jack...

Rear tires are 275/40/17 nitto’s…

Drivers side (25 ½”?):
driversoy8.jpg

passenger1 (25 ¾”?):
passengerqr0.jpg

passenger2:
passenger2st8.jpg

Moog springs can be had from the parts store for around $60. The spinldes can be purchased from ATS otherwise I purchased the AFX package from Marcus at Savitske Classic & Custom. It will come with the SPC double adjustable uppers and the spindles. The spinldes have C5 hubs machined into the so the C5 brakes bolt right up!! They are very very nice! If you do go this route, let me know, I can help you buy the C5 brake parts. I researched everything and got the best prices.

Jsta6, thanks, looking forward to getting the results! I looked for a spring rate on the 5385's but i could find it anywhere. I'll keep looking!

I had thought that I had posted a link on this site or at turbobuicks.com or t6p.com with either a link or the cut and paste data for all of the springs.

OK lets figure out the ride height drop on the rear 5385 springs.

Stock springs, stock tire 26", on my 57K mile Limited....... Height 27.875
5385 springs, 25.7" tire...... Height 25.75

So lets figure the difference in tires:

Stock tire 26
275/40R17 -25.7
-------
.3 difference

.3/2 = .15 You do this step because the tire below the center of the axle is what makes the difference

So with that said if the 275/40R17 tires were on my Limited the ride height would be 27.725"

So we subtract the difference in springs now:

----------
1.975" drop with 5385 springs!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Assuming Jsta6's 5385's werent cut)

Has anyone had any luck finding a spring rate on these???

Jsta6, thanks for the input, it's very helpful! How loose are the springs in the spring pocket when you jack the car up, hanging the rear end? Also, where did you hear about these springs?

OK lets figure out the ride height drop on the rear 5385 springs.

Stock springs, stock tire 26", on my 57K mile Limited....... Height 27.875
5385 springs, 25.7" tire...... Height 25.75

So lets figure the difference in tires:

Stock tire 26
275/40R17 -25.7
-------
.3 difference

.3/2 = .15 You do this step because the tire below the center of the axle is what makes the difference

So with that said if the 275/40R17 tires were on my Limited the ride height would be 27.725"

So we subtract the difference in springs now:

----------
1.975" drop with 5385 springs!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Assuming Jsta6's 5385's werent cut)

Has anyone had any luck finding a spring rate on these???

Jsta6, thanks for the input, it's very helpful! How loose are the springs in the spring pocket when you jack the car up, hanging the rear end? Also, where did you hear about these springs?

They are a little loose when I raise the car up on a lift. I do have to remember to make sure they go back in to the pockets when I put the car back down. I do have Koni shocks but I don't know if they are adjustable or not so that they restrict the range that the suspension travels...

Drag Racing Chassis Setup

Moog Springs for High Performance Monte Carlo and G bodies

The G-Files Tech Site - G-Body Spring Chart

The Monte Carlo Mailing List: Tech Articles

Turbo Regal Information

I thought that I had a spreadsheet or url to a web page that had a list of every spring that moog had ever made and all the info on it, but I can't find it.

Try the federal-mogul web site:
Federal-Mogul

Very good info! I may just buy a set of the 5385's for the rear end of my car and compare them with the BellTechs I have in there right now. I'm thinking it may be a little too low for my 315's though. I guess I'll find out when I get the frame notched and finally have a chance to see where my car sits once the wheels are on.

I don't think I ever came back and posted my results with 5658s. I was waiting to give everything a chance to settle.

Overall I'm happy, the front end isn't that much lower, but that's good because my new wheels stick out pretty far. Just enough of a drop to give the stance a slight rake.

Sorry, right now I don't have actual measurements.

car3.gif

Dude you change wheels more than anyone I know!!:biggrin: Car looks great! When you get some measurements, post 'em up with your tire size!

Dude you change wheels more than anyone I know!!:biggrin: Car looks great! When you get some measurements, post 'em up with your tire size!

Lol yeah, it's an EXPENSIVE sickness. I love changing wheels. Hopefully I'm settled on this set for a few years.

I'm sure I'll get a few minutes tomorrow to go out with the tape measure.

I am currently working to replace all the front end bushings and while I'm at it, I was thinking of going with 5658's being mention in this thread. I don't know what size rim and tire I will actually be going with but currently they are 15x7's I believe Enkie Style Rims.

Would I be safe to go with the springs and possibly the Taller Howe Ball Joints? Where can one order those ball joints?

I will be going with the Moog Problem solvers for everything else except I might go with the Brass bushings from GW on the upper passenger side.

Who has the best pricing for this stuff (On-Line)?

Your thoughts? Will be mainly used for cruising only.

TIA!

Dannyo

Thought I would post here, too!! I have Moog 5658s and SCandC's performance package 2... for pix, follow link in sig!

:D

This thing ROCKS!!!

I am currently working to replace all the front end bushings and while I'm at it, I was thinking of going with 5658's being mention in this thread. I don't know what size rim and tire I will actually be going with but currently they are 15x7's I believe Enkie Style Rims.

Would I be safe to go with the springs and possibly the Taller Howe Ball Joints? Where can one order those ball joints?

I will be going with the Moog Problem solvers for everything else except I might go with the Brass bushings from GW on the upper passenger side.

Who has the best pricing for this stuff (On-Line)?

Your thoughts? Will be mainly used for cruising only.

TIA!

Dannyo

Just go to your local parts store and have them order them for you, save on shipping! You'll be fine with the taller ball joints, go to Savitske Classic & Custom to get those from Mark.

Well I finally rolled the car out of the garage to wash it up since it had literally 5 inches of crap on it! Here are a few more pics of the front end. I dont have the rear notched yet so I'm using T wheels to roll the car around on for now. Enjoy!

P.S. Please excuse the rust on the rotors! Car hasnt moved for a long time!

Attachments

• GNs.jpg
    GNs.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 994