Moog 5658 front spring results

OK with the BellTech springs in the rear which are advertised as an 1.5" drop. My car sits at 26 3/8 with 215/65R15 tires on it. The tires are 26" tall. So maybe the BellTechs are the way to go????? That would be exactly accurate for an inch and a half drop. I had to edit my post cause I just couldnt believe our cars sit that high with stock springs.

OK with the BellTech springs in the rear which are advertised as an 1.5" drop. My car sits at 26 3/8 with 215/65R15 tires on it. The tires are 26" tall. So maybe the BellTechs are the way to go????? That would be exactly accurate for an inch and a half drop. I had to edit my post cause I just couldnt believe our cars sit that high with stock springs.

Where did you get the Belltechs and how much?

Rob, I bought these BellTech a long time ago for one of my Monte SS's. Cant remember how much they ran me but I bought them used pretty cheap. That was back in the days of spindles, etc. They seem to ride pretty well so thats always an option.

So if you bought them a long time ago used they could be sagged too throwing the numbers off and making us all crazy CRAZY I TELL YOU :eek: I cannot believe the time I have spent taking springs in and out of my car over and over only to get different results every time!

That is true! Although these were not used for very long. They were on a buddies Monte for about 2 months before I got them. Springs are definately a difficult thing to buy and get where you want them. I would like the rear to sit a little lower than where it is. The only problem with that is the spirng rate!:biggrin:

I'll trade you a brand new set of Moog 5413's for those old washed up Bell Tech springs :biggrin: With a little lighter rear end they would probably be perfect for me! Seriously, I want them if you end up changing them out.

Well I got my 5658 reinstalled on the driver's side and dropped the car back down, it was still higher than I expected but was about an inch lower than when it wasn't seated correctly. Working on the passenger side tonight, don't really feel like starting a spring-swap job at 10pm but what the hay maybe it won't fight me and I'll finish tonight.

I'll drive the car for a while and see how the front springs settle. Not even sure if I'm going to mess with the rear because my new wheels/tires are right under the fender lip and I don't have a lot of room.

YES the 2nd time around definitely goes a LOT easier. I 100% back the suggestion of using two jacks to lift the control arm back into place. It still isn't a piece of cake, but using two jacks definitely gets things lined up a lot easier.

So both springs are in I just need to throw on my LS1 brakes on the passenger side and then it'll be ready to drive.

Oh and by the way be careful if you decide to loosen the sway bar links, I soaked both of them in PB Blaster and cleaned the threads with a wire brush but both links only unthreaded a few turns before jamming and then I just snapped them off. I'm installing an F-body sway bar and have spare links anyways.

Hit TSpool up for new end links and bushings for that bar!

TSpool, I'll probably end up keeping these springs until I hit the track with them. I have heard they are little too soft though. I suppose we'll see I kept the stock spring to test them in comparison.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can think of is doing the coil over set up in the rear like that Primered Regal that was on here? Any other ideas for the rear guys? The col over set up really isnt that difficult to do but most people dont want to weld on their cars like that. I personally dont care becuase my car is far beyond ever being close to orginal. But for the guys that want simple swaps, maybe we can assume ST springs or BellTechs as the lowest option, 5413 for a slightly lower stance on track cars that need the spring rate and ability to use airbags, F-Body springs for those who dont need airbags to be able to cut to height? My only problem is the ride quality and spring rate of those cut F-Body springs? TSpool, are you planning to install a cut set? Could you give us a little feedback?

Jeremy, for kicks I will install the f body springs since I have them. I'll probably start with one coil removed and go from there. I haven't been able to drive the car any real distance to get a good feel for the different springs because my alignment is way off from when I changed front springs. I wanted to go lower, but don't want to hurt resale value of the car and potential job issues has me uneasy about spending money freely right now. I may have to just get it aligned as-is and settle with my current ride height for now. It looks good, just not badass. I originally wanted about 25.5 front and 26 back.

Hmmm, maybe I can cut the top of the stock spring and use the f body isolators. Cutting them should increase the spring rate which would be a good thing. Now I wish I didn't sandblast and paint them in case I ruin them!

Hmmm, maybe I can cut the top of the stock spring and use the f body isolators. Cutting them should increase the spring rate which would be a good thing.

That sounds just crazy enough to work. I'm still undecided about what to do with rear springs.

Are you trying to raise the back or lower it? Make sure you drive around a bit on those 5658's and then decide where you want the rear to be. BTW, with Moog 5413's you don't even need to unbolt the lower shock bolt. Jack up the frame one side at a time and they just slip out with some minor persuasion.

This is a great thread since I'm obsessed about the right height on my car.

T-Spool, where do you live? I live in Clawson. If you're close I can show you what I did (basically I just cut the rear Eibach spring and slipped a PCV hose on to serve as an isolator). Works great and my rear is at about 25.5".

Attachments

• GN2.jpg
    GN2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1,120
This is a great thread since I'm obsessed about the right height on my car.

T-Spool, where do you live? I live in Clawson. If you're close I can show you what I did (basically I just cut the rear Eibach spring and slipped a PCV hose on to serve as an isolator). Works great and my rear is at about 25.5".

That looks nice! What is done to the front end? How does the ca ride with the Eibachs cut?

That looks nice! What is done to the front end? How does the ca ride with the Eibachs cut?

I cut about 1/2 of a coil off the front springs (also Eibachs). The springs just didn't give me enough drop so I decided to cut them. Suprisingly the ride really isn't that bad. I try to avoid the rough roads which is tough here in Michigan. The car does shudder a little on rough patches so I bought the front and rear braces from Kirban hoping that would make the car a little more rigid. I just need time to put them in.

I cut about 1/2 of a coil off the front springs (also Eibachs). The springs just didn't give me enough drop so I decided to cut them. Suprisingly the ride really isn't that bad. I try to avoid the rough roads which is tough here in Michigan. The car does shudder a little on rough patches so I bought the front and rear braces from Kirban hoping that would make the car a little more rigid. I just need time to put them in.

What's the specs on your wheels (width/backspacing) and what size tires are you running?

Rob

Id have to agree!!!! Lots to learn on this thread! I've noticed there are a BUNCH of people buying up the 5658 springs. Maybe we should ask Moog for a little $$$ kickback???!!:biggrin: