Muffler Sound

mags

I currently have flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers on my GN. I don't care for the sound, I would like to have that muscle car rumble. They only have 2,000 miles on them so i would hate to just get rid of them so I thought maybe i could alter the mufflers a bit to create that sound i'm looking for. I though maybe drilling some holes in the outlet end of the muffler?

Has Anyone ever tried doing something like this?
Any suggestions?
I figured if it didn't sound great or worse that I would just change them out for some single chambers.
Thanks for any input!

WRONG

Man you are totally in the dark with muffler choice for one thing!!! Its old news that flowmasters CHAMBERED design are bad for these cars. Only muff they like are straight thru designs. Like ultra flows, magnum bullets.aerochambers. Hell man you would see a increase in power an awsome small block sound if you just cut them out an run straight pipes/ Believe me i know i've been where you are. So do a search with me can the flowbastards. Turbos do not like them cause again they are chambered for cars that are naturally aspirated that need backpressure unlike our turbo cars that do not. Do a search on flowmaster you will see the light!!1

I agree with everything RUQWKNF27 says except the small block sound. Did you look under the hood when you bought this car? It's a little V-6 with the exhaust going through a turbocharger. If you want "muscle car rumble" go buy a V-8 muscle car.

These cars sound a little like a bumble bee. In the early 1990's when most of us were trying to find the 11's, we got snickers from people once in awhile. After that when 11's were common and a few were in the 10's you never heard that again.

Depending on the system and/or mufflers you put on, you can have a loud bumble bee or a quiet bumble bee. And the quieter it is the less it sounds like a bumble bee. Mine is quiet. I choose to "go fast with class". Oh, and if you put a hole in the muffler it will just sound fuzzy like a car that needs a new muffler. Thats real classy.

u have your opinion its your right

But to many a folk with no muff's @ idle they do sound like a 350 with a small cam!!!!!

where???????

I keep hearing about these maxflows , an that they are 1 of the superior mufflers.. But I cannot find them anywhere i n Jegs or Summit.. So where can I get them?????? Hey 87GN70GS hows the GN coming or did ya sell it i can't remember,i'm just right down the road from yaaaa/

So the TR's don't sound like a bumblebee? I'm sure glad you straightened out me and about 20 other TR racers that used to joke about our bumblebee cars smoking 12 sec. 67 Impala SS big blocks. Why don't you tell all of us what they really sound like? Me and my friends are proud of the sound these cars make. Flowcrappers and no mufflers sound terrible. Just like we laugh at the ricers with loud coffee can exhaust. They sound like a 2 cycle chainsaw.

These are turbocharged V-6's. They won't sound like a rumbley V-8 no matter what you do. So I repeat, you want that sound go drive a V-8. The more you try to make it sound like a V-8, the worse it will sound.

Well........

He is partially right. My T doesnt have a muffler on it at all. When idling...I'll admit, people have mistaken it for a V-8. Then....when I mash the loud pedal she whistles like crazy! Mine may sound like a train...but surely wont be mistaken for a bumble-bee!! ;)

MaxFlows are from Hooker. The named has been now changed to "Maximum Flow". And, yep I did finally sell her.

Why don't you tell all of us what they really sound like?
They sound just like you said, a turbocharged buick. But they sure don't sound like a import! Thats really like a mad mess of bees. With the stock exhaust opened on a turbo buick, it does sound more, not exact, but more like a stock v8. Not a bad azz cammed out .600+ lift radical monster motor.

Oh and about your comment on smoking big block impalas, thats why I now own a turbobuick;) by the way, how many have you seen?

Tushay!!!!!!

I'll give ya a perfect example I had a buddy with a 5.0 Coupe we put longtubes///h-pipe//an 2 chambers on it.. Sure it picked up on the low end but ran out of breath on the top end... Why did it do that???? Cause there was a lack of back pressure, there was no medium for the gases to push against to make power @ highter RPM's.. A NA motor builds exhaust psi. to a certain point an thats it,, an to get to that point the most efficient way you need back pressure.. Unlike our turbo cars, there is no certain point cause we have a TURBO on our car it need to breath more an more as you increase the boost, an thats where the struggle begins with back pressure. Therefore straight thru muff's are the best way to go instead of chambers!!!!

That doesn't make sense to me.

From my own personal experience, when I uncap my exhaust (2.5" Ultraflos with H-pipe, long tube headers), I pick up both low and top end power. Not noticable, but shows up as .15 on my ETs.

The reason why you sometimes get an increase of torque with some backpressure is because the exhaust velocity is higher, which raises torque output. At some point the high exhaust velocity builds enough momentum to "draw" the intake charge in better during the overlap period.

The reason why the top end falls off with an exhaust system is because typically the system cannot flow enough exhaust gas, which is needed because there isn't much time for the exhaust gases to be expelled out of the cylinder. Because of the restriction, the new intake mixture is contaminated with burnt gases, and thus produces less power. There is also a pumping loss, but not as significant. There are mufflers out there that actually can produce more HP than an open pipe, but you'll find that the backpressure in these exhaust systems are also darn near zero.

It seems like from your post that you say that the Mustang lost top end HP due to LACK of backpressure...which can' t be. You'll see that most to all dragsters run near zero exhaust pressure, and sometimes the scavenging effects brings the pressure into the negative digits. You only NEED backpressure if you for some reason had a poor combination of parts that result in low exhaust velocity.

The concept of the chambered muffler is not to flow a mass amount of air. The concept relies on sound/pulse wave cancellation & destruction, it has nothing to do with being naturally aspirated. The only reason why the muffler is effective power-wise is because Flowmaster has put a ton into R&D of these mufflers. There have been many back to back tests (Dragstrip tests) to show that while Flowmasters aren't the best muffler, they certainly aren't far behind from straight through mufflers.

I don't know much about turbo'd cars, so I can't debate too much. But what I do know is that because chambered mufflers rely heavily on exhaust pulses to do the job, they aren't the best choice for a turbo'd car. The turbo modifies those exhaust pulses as the exhaust exits the turbo, and chambered mufflers weren't designed to deal with that kind of gas flow. There is much more to this, but this is all I care to write about.

WHile we are on the subject of mufflers, I have a set of Aerochambers, and while they sound okay at idle, I can't stand the sound in my car at 40 to 75 mph. I very much want to get rid of them and put some mufflers on that are nice and quiet (Oh no, I sound like my dad). Anyhow, who has some suggestions on a quiet muffler that will flow enough to keep my car happy (check my sig)?