Multiple issues: readings, wires and smoke

That sucks but it should still work. You have to get the bolt started before the sensor is all the way down.

Soooo take out the damn cam again? Lol. I can't even be mad at this. Should've listened to my wife and closed shop at night fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No reason for all that worry. A threaded stud with a (line up section on the tip) should fix everything up.

Hey guys, FAST TRACKING TO right now: finally squeezed in a late nighter to put this sucker back together. Much love to my brother from another mother being out there in the cold helping me haha.

Car is running A LOT better. Doesn't feel like it's hesitating or misfiring. I put the new cam sensor in, tested it with cam tool, lit up and put it all together.

Idle Pulley is pissing me off, bolt is either too tight and starts burning belt or too loose and starts spinning off. I don't think this is a stock one as the threads are not counter clockwise... Managed to get it on a "sweet" spot but I'll see how long it holds until it starts to spin off again.

Attached are videos of the car at idle, and then driving it. Scan master view, buddy recording sorry for all the movement. I was at In n Out with a friend when I noticed a lot of smoke building up behind us.. Pissing off the line-no one said anything but I know they were getting annoyed [emoji23].

Decided to pull away, and turned her off to calm her down. Drove back home after a couple minutes. Scanmaster was not throwing any codes. Fuel pressure gauge reads 42 at idle, vacuum cap on. new Bosch O2 sensor.

Aside from this, the pictures are random wires that my mechanic left after final assembly six months ago.. I finally took the time to take pictures of to ask wtf it is.

844a5fe704adb073621a92d385b84c47.jpg
found on passenger side

f4a657b37f20e7608deb9a9452aaa632.jpg
I'm assuming this one is the motor for the powered antenna because it doesn't shut up when I hook it up regardless of car being on or off. (antenna always up)

547214c93b583ce9f248f3c896274349.jpg
no clue. Passenger side.

c556960c231ad37dc54e5dd4c47e8ec0.jpg
driver side, no clue. 2 clipped yellow wires, red clip and black clip

844a5fe704adb073621a92d385b84c47.jpg
found on passenger side

f4a657b37f20e7608deb9a9452aaa632.jpg
I'm assuming this one is the motor for the powered antenna because it doesn't shut up when I hook it up regardless of car being on or off. (antenna always up)

547214c93b583ce9f248f3c896274349.jpg
no clue. Passenger side.

c556960c231ad37dc54e5dd4c47e8ec0.jpg
driver side, no clue. 2 clipped yellow wires, red clip and black clip

Red clip goes to boost solenoid on pass fender the other i cant recall at the moment i have a diagram from whe i did my car i will try to find it maybe ac related and it looks like you need a o2 .but i am not a expert there are alot of guys on here the are top notch and should be able to help

Thanks! I'll check those out.

I'm taking the car to Kenny Duttweiler today for some pointers. I'm thinking Transmission could be out... I feel like I'm driving this thing in 4th gear... Especially when I stomp on the gas I don't feel the down shift

Pic#1 Ground wire for blower motor. Should be a lug under a mounting screw for the blower motor
Pic#2 Plug for power antenna
Pic#3 Connector for boost switch-only used on digital dash.
Pic#4 Boost solenoid

Where is the boost solenoid?

I have a turbonetics adjustable wastewater... Does this remove the solenoid?

Where is the boost solenoid?

I have a turbonetics adjustable wastewater... Does this remove the solenoid?

Pretty much. If you still had the solenoid it would be mounted to the PS front valve cover bolt/stud on stock valve covers.

#4 doesn't reach past valve cover passenger side.

Car has white smog blowing. Don't know why...
so I decided to change spark plugs. They were gapped .050 . New ones are at .032-.035

Old ones:

9b10abf8ff218642a854f166618efa8d.jpg
fd44d31a6be2aa6f83b69956a6f89870.jpg

HD VIDEO:

Sorry, recording was muted. Didn't notice.

I had it sitting at idle, and I'd lightly step into the gas. Smoke would obviously increase.

Cam sensor was set with cam tool. Cam tool had led light on... Chances it's set incorrectly??
25* after Top dead center ...

Last edited:
The nipple isn't varied from a stock size, One doesn't come there at all (much like the boost gauge). If's fine if you want to use it for that, the gauge just needs a signal not a large amount of flow.

On your cam sensor, you have a machinist that can't back out a broken screw?
I haven't notice too many machinists that will attempt to back out a broken 8/32 screw. A good one could machine it out and pic/tap the threads out

More random wires. The guy that owned this car loved the aftermarket stereo so much that I think he personally took initiative to do all the wiring. I found some single wires that were just cut and left exposed.

These are behind stereo..
Don't know what they are/should be for:

Plug # 1
341c9a8f8e9e1bc334896c8adfb31705.jpg

6fccf8edb5c8a6dab3b25d8bff7b6979.jpg

Plug # 2:
444e908d005e4fc905b9505d5fa3c34b.jpg

96f61f1013c3018ffebc5940c2e8b162.jpg

What new plugs did you choose? R45s are way too hot. R42s more appropriate. NGK UR5 or my favorite Autolite 23 gapped @ .030 work good.

What new plugs did you choose? R45s are way too hot. R42s more appropriate. NGK UR5 or my favorite Autolite 23 gapped @ .030 work good.
Would that "way too hot" cause white smoke? It only starts once in closed loop

Milivolts are all jacked up [emoji29]

Last edited:
Sure it's white "smoke" and not steam, from a blown head gasket.
From the looks of that plug, that's certainly a possibility....
Disregard...Wrong thread....:oops:

That red plug went to the charcoal canister, not the boost sol. As you noticed, it's too short to go to the pass valve cover.
The plugs behind the stereo went to the stock radio. They plugged in on the LH side of the radio.

That looks like the oil seal in the turbo. That used to happen to me. Pull the downpipe loose and see if it is oily in there by the turbine.