Multiple issues: readings, wires and smoke

That looks like the oil seal in the turbo. That used to happen to me. Pull the downpipe loose and see if it is oily in there by the turbine.
John: if it is this... Fixable? If so, how? P.s. Can oil viscosity be a culprit as well? Seems very wet/thin

Exhaust smells like oil burning.

Last edited:
Sure it's white "smoke" and not steam, from a blown head gasket.
From the looks of that plug, that's certainly a possibility....

I'm using RJC "bullet proof" head gaskets. Haven't smashed on the throttle but damn that would be screwed up! I blew head gasket over three years ago. Had coolant in oil and chunks and shavings in oil pan.

No coolant in oil. No loss of coolant levels.

John, you're the second person to tell me that today (guy saw it in person).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would have to remove the turbo and send it off for repair. Where do you live?

You would have to remove the turbo and send it off for repair. Where do you live?

California. I bought this TA-49 from Kirban Performance less than a year ago... They said they'd call me back today regarding the warranty (12 months or 12,000 miles) but I guess they got too busy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would take him up on the warranty. The oil seal is a steel ring behind the turbine wheel. You may be able to see it cocked or slightly out of place or loose around the shaft. But if there is oil in there you have a problem and the turbo needs repair. It should be dry and worst case sooty inside the exhaust housing.

Idle Pulley is pissing me off, bolt is either too tight and starts burning belt or too loose and starts spinning off. I don't think this is a stock one as the threads are not counter clockwise... Managed to get it on a "sweet" spot but I'll see how long it holds until it starts to spin off again.
????

Update: today I'll be pulling off the turbo.. My TurboTweak tune is for the TA49, but a local friend and ttype owner will be coming over to let me borrow his stock turbo.. I'll be installing it to see what happens. If smoke stops we can rule out any other failures.

Car is running a lot better. I'll get my ta49 back in a couple of weeks. Being rebuilt.

Gaps at .030 worked really good. Still a bit of stumbling while in Park... But feels great on the road.

"Idle Pulley is pissing me off, bolt is either too tight and starts burning belt or too loose and starts spinning off. I don't think this is a stock one as the threads are not counter clockwise... Managed to get it on a "sweet" spot but I'll see how long it holds until it starts to spin off again."

2 things:
1. the idler/tensioner bolt is not LH thread.
2. If you have to find the "sweet spot", you have the pulley on backwards. causing the cover washer to drag on the face of the pulley. The "deep side" goes toward the radiator. I'd change it NOW, so you don't find it stuck in the i/c or rad core. Or worse, in the hood.

"Idle Pulley is pissing me off, bolt is either too tight and starts burning belt or too loose and starts spinning off. I don't think this is a stock one as the threads are not counter clockwise... Managed to get it on a "sweet" spot but I'll see how long it holds until it starts to spin off again."

2 things:
1. the idler/tensioner bolt is not LH thread.
2. If you have to find the "sweet spot", you have the pulley on backwards. causing the cover washer to drag on the face of the pulley. The "deep side" goes toward the radiator. I'd change it NOW, so you don't find it stuck in the i/c or rad core. Or worse, in the hood.

Ok... Good then, it was right. A buddy was telling me that it had to be LH thread. at that time he was the only one saying anything about it. Deep side. As in the curved dish, correct? That's facing the radiator. I bought a new one from gbodyparts.. It's chilled out the belt squeal

Ok... Good then, it was right. A buddy was telling me that it had to be LH thread. at that time he was the only one saying anything about it. Deep side. As in the curved dish, correct? That's facing the radiator. I bought a new one from gbodyparts.. It's chilled out the belt squeal

yep!

Well, Limit Engineering came through and honored their warranty that Kirban Performance states. Thank you Chopper for helping me out!

They even went as far as Painting the hot side of the turbo. Just wow!

b89e9a807b688d260a93b05927e4b53c.jpg

4f191e290d40fc06d43ae6217f409629.jpg

Maybe I just can't see the full bracket in your pics

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Idk. Looks fine to me lol

It's not "fine"... The lower end, that supports the turbo has been cut off. Turbo is now supported only by what little the compressor connection, and the header provide...