You can type here any text you want

My 1/8th Mile Opinion!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Jason here. Racing is racing. If you want to go faster the 1/4, you gotta figure out to go faster to the 1/8 so it's all the same. With the payouts that was put up in these classes, it's a real mystery why more guys didn't show up. I hear some say that it isn't about the money and they are right. However, when given the chance to race for that kind of money there should have been people parking out in the weeds.

From what I've seen in years of both 1/4 and 1/8 racing. Most don't know what kind of time is fast in the 1/8. Only the guys really concentrating on improving their ET pays attention to the 1/8 time on their slip. It's a very important part of your run, as is the 330' time. I hope over the next year guys will pay more attention to this 1/8 time. The other aspect is the speed. It seems those that can run around 120mph in the 1/8 are fine with racing the 1/8. If it takes a racer a 1/4 to reach 120, most often they prefer the 1/4. For myself it isn't about the speed at all, it's about the acceleration. All the excitement is in the 1st half of the track, after 660' your just along for a ride. I prefer 1/8 racing and always have.

I enjoyed this event so much that it will replace my week in BG. Shane, Clint, Richard and everyone behind the scenes put on an event for the people, not for their pockets. There was no BS fees involved, just hard core tech all week and unlimited access to whatever tool or knowledge you need to make your Buick more of a performer. On top of that, they paid a very generous payout in every class. I'm already looking forward to next year as I will continue to support the events that support the racers and people.
X2, Very well said Jason...

I agree with Jason here. Racing is racing. If you want to go faster the 1/4, you gotta figure out to go faster to the 1/8 so it's all the same. With the payouts that was put up in these classes, it's a real mystery why more guys didn't show up. I hear some say that it isn't about the money and they are right. However, when given the chance to race for that kind of money there should have been people parking out in the weeds.

From what I've seen in years of both 1/4 and 1/8 racing. Most don't know what kind of time is fast in the 1/8. Only the guys really concentrating on improving their ET pays attention to the 1/8 time on their slip. It's a very important part of your run, as is the 330' time. I hope over the next year guys will pay more attention to this 1/8 time. The other aspect is the speed. It seems those that can run around 120mph in the 1/8 are fine with racing the 1/8. If it takes a racer a 1/4 to reach 120, most often they prefer the 1/4. For myself it isn't about the speed at all, it's about the acceleration. All the excitement is in the 1st half of the track, after 660' your just along for a ride. I prefer 1/8 racing and always have.

I enjoyed this event so much that it will replace my week in BG. Shane, Clint, Richard and everyone behind the scenes put on an event for the people, not for their pockets. There was no BS fees involved, just hard core tech all week and unlimited access to whatever tool or knowledge you need to make your Buick more of a performer. On top of that, they paid a very generous payout in every class. I'm already looking forward to next year as I will continue to support the events that support the racers and people.

Very well put, and thanks Dusty!

All I have to say is enjoy the 1/8 th much more than the 1/4. As far as this event everyone involved with putting this together I say thank you. Everyone I met were great people. To those who don't like the 1/8th I say, come on down to the event next year I think you will find you like it. To those who don't come I think it is your loss but we will post some videos and pics. To those that did not come and are here throwing stones I say stay home we don't need you down here this event will grow without you.:tongue:

Michael

All I have to say is enjoy the 1/8 th much more than the 1/4. As far as this event everyone involved with putting this together I say thank you. Everyone I met were great people. To those who don't like the 1/8th I say, come on down to the event next year I think you will find you like it. To those who don't come I think it is your loss but we will post some videos and pics. To those that did not come and are here throwing stones I say stay home we don't need you down here this event will grow without you.:tongue:

Michael
This thread has NOTHING to do with the event, It's just a discussion about 1/4 mile vs 1/8 mile AND NOBODY is here throwing stones. That's just what the Southern Buick Shootout needs is someone telling people not to come. Maybe you should read the thread again -- a little slower...:rolleyes:
Thanks Dusty Bradford for a level headed post....And I agree.:smile:

I think you need to read my post a little slower. I pretty sure if you do you will see that it asked everyone to come down and give it a try. Nothing unlevel headed about my post its just the way it is. The people that made this happen are very goog friends of mine and I will not let anyone belittlle this event for any reason. Now with that being said come down next year give it a try.

Michael

Wished I could have made it. It matters not to me whether I run the 1/8th or the 1/4.

Even NHRA top fuel doesn't run the quarter anymore. :D

I prefer the 1/4, but I only run for test and tune and fun runs. I have a daily driven street car and a lot of my excitement comes from being able to stretch it out longer than I can on the street without worrying about tickets and other traffic, although even in the 1/4 my car is slow enough that it is relatively safe. But for bracket racing the 1/8 seems to make much more sense for all of the reasons mentioned in the other posts.
So I think the key is if it is a true street car, a thinly veiled race car, or a full on track car. For true street cars and drivers just wanting to have fun, 1/4 is the way to go. For the others that are more serious, cutting the light, hitting the dial in, and making the next round are the important things. The 1/8 has all of that without the extended w.o.t. time that stresses the cars so much plus with all of the races being shorter, you can squeeze more races into less time. :biggrin:
The Rock sometimes runs a mixed program. They will run 1/4 for test and tune and street tire/trophy classes. They run 1/8 for the bracket and heads-up classes all in the same event. In my opinion this is the ultimate compromise. Something for everyone. The 1/8 milers can test and tune with everybody else. They just shut down after they hit the 1/8 mark. While the street cars can enter the 1/8 events and if they lose to the more serious racers they can still come back and continue in the t-n-t rounds.

Really....Most average cars only pick up an extra 21-24 mph in the second half, so if it's about the trill of the speed, just run it out the back door a little. :D I'm having a hard time understanding why some seem to be up in the air with the comparison of the two. Tune and race your car to what's in front of you, while having fun doing it. It's not like folks are jumping of the wood work to host events for our old lead sleds.

When you sit back and read some of post with an objective mind it's really kind of funny. They remind me of the kid that didn't get his way, so he grabs his ball and stomps off home.....

Drag Racing......
it isn't about the speed at all, it's about the acceleration. All the excitement is in the 1st half of the track, after 660' your just along for a ride.
I think that sums it up best

Yep, you gotta finish the 1/8th before making it to the 1/4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back