You can type here any text you want

My car is in a car magazine

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
After a race/meeting earlier this year, a Swedish magazine called "Wheels Magazine" wanted to make a report of my car. The magazine normally writes about oldies and rods, but the reporter was very impressed of my car.

Well, the report is in Swedish, but there are some pictures at least:
http://www.turbolunkan.com/tta-pics/wheels_report.jpg (800*600, 130kb)
http://www.turbolunkan.com/tta-pics/wheels_report(big).jpg (3264*2448, 4.8Mb)

The stickers on the rear bumper is just an ad for a big dragrace we had.

If anybody want me to translate it, just tell me. Oh, and Julio´s webpage is mentioned in it :cool:

Best regards from Sweden
/Andreas

Very nice article Andreas. You have a great car, and you represent the TTA community very well. Great job!:cool:

I´ve just translated it into English. I hope I did a good job :rolleyes:

Hard pulling six´er (Mark, this is the translation of Your Q)
What exceeds 8 cylinders in angle? Maybe two less with artificial respiration!
The development and taste with new car enthusiasts has displaced the focus within Camaro / Firebird clubs. The third generation of these models, 80´s, are very popular today. It´s all about great driving and comfortable cars with the American soul under the skin.

Most popular within this generation of the F-body is the IROC and Trans Am GTA with the 350 TPI Chevy engine. Amongst these carmodels are even some really special ones, and the most unique is probably the 1989 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am GTA Indy Pace Car (phew). A model created for the 20th anniversary of the first Trans Am. Such an unusual car (1500 made) is what Andreas Lundqvist from Västerås is driving.
-This is my third Trans Am. I had a regular -89 and a -88 GTA before I found this Indy-model
-Describe what attracted You to it
-I like the body, and with the Buick V6 it´s very fast

In the mid 80-s, Buicks GN and GNX with turbocharged 3.8-engine took the place as Detroits quickest cars. Buicks engine was the logical choice when Pontiac was looking to put something extra under the hood of their Indy anniversary model. The power was modestly rated to 250hp. Test results of 14.0 pointed more towards 300 honest hp´s.

As most other turbo engines, the Buicks are easily modified. The former owner of the car replaced the turbo and chip wich was enough for low 12´s at the track. Andreas started his career by putting down 12.17 during a race on the local airport. After this, the car got a larger turbo (Garrett Precision GT 61) och ported heads, which was enough for 11.7 before he blew both head gaskets.

Apart from the cars interesting history, maybe the most interesting part is how he is able to handle high boost levels. Normally it is needed to run high octane race gas. Andreas did that in the beginning, until he, in the USA, found a specially manufactured system running methanol. This progressive system is controlled by the engines MAP-sensor (measuring airpressure in the manifold) och with the cooling help of methanol he has been able to run close to 30 PSI on standard pump gas. For more information on this system, check out www.alkycontrol.com

The taste for more has caused Andreas to tear the engine apart. A part of the plan is to replace the rear gears from 3.27 to 3.77. As for all other competitors it all about stretching the limits. Could a street driven, 10s anniversary Trans Am, be possible?

And this is what the text boxes says:
(big picture, left page)
Andreas has already, with a few mods, run 11´s with his Trans Am GTA Indy Pace Car

(lower left picture, left page)
All 1500 Indy Pace Car was painted white with tan interior

(lower right picture, left page)
Apart from a tie-down strap, that prevent the motor to torque over, the 3.8 Buick turboengine look relatively stock. This car was equipped with the smaller 200R4 automatic which, regardless of the rumours, seems to handle quite a lot.

(yellow text)
Buicks V6 showed up as early as 1962 as a 198cui economy motor. It would soon grow to 255, but never got popular. One explanation could be in the construction, created from a V8 with two deleted cylinders. This caused the engine to have problems with vibrations. Anyway, Buick sold the concept to Jeep in the late 60´s. Then came the oil crisis with the demand for more fuel-efficient engines. At that point Buick bought the V6 and during the design year of -77 they presented a major rework, which amongst other things gave a more even engine. As a 331cui (“3.8” litre), the V6 was intoroduced with a turbocharged choice in the 80-s with the GN (Gran National) as the king. It was this award winning motor that Pontiac chose as the powerplant for their -89 Indy Pace Car.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
Very good Andreas. Thank you for the translation.:)

Hehe, I guess that wasn´t the meaning You thought it would be.

In Sweden the word SEX is both the number SIX and also what You can do "when You fell for it". So for an English speaking person it will probobly look kinda funny :D

So, putting only words for a V6 would be v-sex in Swedish and v-six in English. Hmm, looks kind off noughty :cool:

Oh, the reporter has made some misspelling in the text, it´s not me who got the typo´s :cool:

An interesting perspective. I'm always interested in the way people around the world view America, Americans and American products. "American soul under the skin" says something very good. :)

Thanks for sharing :cool:

Originally posted by lburou
An interesting perspective. I'm always interested in the way people around the world view America, Americans and American products. "American soul under the skin" says something very good. :)

Thanks for sharing :cool:

Yeah, I thought everyone else int he world hated us. Maybe not.:)

Thanks for Your comments. I thought he was going to write a bit more about MY car, but that doesn´t matter.

The reporter is a mid-50 nostalgic. He didn´t know anything about this engine and did alot of research before this article. He also got alot of information from Ulf. He´s known in Sweden for writing good articles.

Most of the people running american cars in Sweden are mid-40´s. Some are younger but most are older. They just love american old muscles. Depending who You ask, You´ll get lots of different answers, just take a look in my thread about my setup :o

Thx Andreas, now do I dont have to buy that magazine LOL

Nice article.

Daniel

Well the TTA owners in Sweden is kinda young...

I am 25, Lunkan is 27 ? Melvin hmm is in the 20:s and Richard is 25 to I think... We also has a TTA with 4600 miles on... but I dont know the age of him, but I think he is at least in the 40:s.

Daniel

27.. those where the days.. driving audi quattros and thought life could not be any better..

My car was in Swedens largest evening paper, well at least the rear of it and my ugly smile. Richards TTA is going to show up in a music video.. and now Lunkan show his beast in Wheels magazine..
The TTA is not a "unknown" car in Sweden anymore.
:cool:

Back