My hybrid: Grand (Inter)National

I've seen double posts before, but seven, that has to be a new record!!!

Way to think outside the box. I loved my old scout and wish I still had it.

very cool. love it. Always toyed with the idea to do a sleeper stealth swap. Had a 63 200D benz that almost got a455 transplant but I couldn't brig myself to do the hack attack on it. If I still had the benz Id do it now. Still Got the powerplant but still looking for the right donor.
This motor was supposed to go into a mid year Corvette body for my midlife crisis. Those plans have changed now :)

I wasn't sure what to expect looking at the title. That's a very cool build that looks well executed. Of course, the gigs up when you start rolling around on drag radials. :confused:

You are 100% correct. I'm going to try and disguise them by mounting all the tires blackwall side out so they don't draw attention. Between that and keeping them inside the fenders, and reusing my original hubcaps it may buy me a few minutes of incognito. Even still I have room for 10" wide wheels with 295/60r15 et street drag radials so they will likely fill the wells up nicely ;)

You may want to look into some truck winter tires, like Blizzaks. The rubber compound in those things are like a pencil eraser. Not as good as drag radials, but maybe a little more stealthy on the street.

Well at the track with the new valve springs the Scout ran as follows:

1.972 60ft
8.532 1/8 mile
80.52 mph
13.516 1/4 mile
97.36 mph

On radials, left line with 0-1 lbs of boost.

Boost 17lbs
Knock: 0
02: 785

Before I start tuning I need some help determining if these are healthy numbers for my combination if parts. It feels strong but the numbers seem low to me. Especially at the big end. I assumed this should easily have run 100-105 mph.

I did not lock up the converter for any of the runs.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I went and talked to my friend who's very knowledgeable in these cars and has street raced them since they were new. He claims that at 17lbs of boost I should be running closer to 105 miles -1 to 2 mph for aerodynamic drag. After evaluating my installation he suggested checking fuel pressure, replacing the valve springs, and checking the torque converter for slippage.

Fuel pressure was confirmed 62 PSI in third gear. Valves springs were replaced with comp cam 980s. All that's left is converter slippage i'll need a tach or powerlogger to accurately check....

Thoughts?

I've always wanted a Scout....this build is so cool it hurts

By the way, your 60ft is better than mine! hahaha

You should have trapped approx. 101mph on the pass you went 80.52 in the eighth. What installed height on the springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should have trapped approx. 101mph on the pass you went 80.52 in the eighth. What installed height on the springs?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn it Bison. I'm glad you are here and were willing to chime in. I've read a ton of your posts and you've been very informative and helpful though we've never spoken before.

That being said.......I read literally 20-30 posts on installing valve springs. Which ones to buy. Best method to install them. The procedure. The tools to buy.

YOU sir, were the only one preaching checking installed valve spring height. In my heart I knew you were absolutely right and I should have done it.

I didn't do it. And I am ashamed to admit it. Especially to you of all people. I feel like a kid who cheated on a test and got caught.

I will do it this weekend and report back.

Last edited:
image.jpg
Real st. Performance had open Dyno night last night.

Mixed in with all the beautiful cars was the Scout. I don't believe any of the young import crowd had ever heard a mechanical Detroit Locker and boo'd as I clunked up to the Dyno pissed off I was taking up a slot on the list of tuner cars there to dyno. Then they started making bets on how much power it would make. 52, 78, no more than 100hp.

That changed when the T-61 started to spool up. Quick change in the crowd. Lol

Assuming 15% drivetrain loss that puts the Scout around 365hp 457ft/lbs torque.

Not too shabby I guess. Now where is my missing 5mph at he track?!?!?!

Good stuff!
I hope that someone told the booing tuner crowd to "watch and learn, kids" :cool:

Good stuff!
I hope that someone told the booing tuner crowd to "watch and learn, kids" :cool:

No. I was woefully outnumbered. But the scout did turn them around I believe. Listen to the crowd in this clip have a change of heart and one guy yell "scout can scoot"

It just occurred to me that I may have the world's fastest International Scout. Now there's a thought.

Been a while since I've posted here. Been driving the H.E. Double hockey sticks out of the scout. Almost 5000 miles on the odo now. Still running strong with no problems to date!

Fun little burn out at a local cruise in:

image.jpeg

That's crazy hearing my car and seeing that.Lol