You can type here any text you want

My wheels get super hot

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok. Got er running ok, and went tooling around the neighborhood to verify some numbers. Came back and seen my rims were a little dirty. Started wiping them off with a damp rag and I could hear the water boiling off of the rim. My RIM was that hot? I could see my rotor but dam. Do your guys rims get that hot when you drive?

Jack it up and see how easy it turns by hand. Possible caliper sticking or bearings too tight.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Brakes are dragging. Ya, they get warm, but don't think that water should biol on them!:eek:

Calipers or hoses are the problem. Replace both, bleed the brakes, and try again. Make sure to re-pack the bearings, replace the seals, and flush the brake fluid.;)

Bearings too tight? Do you mean that it's the bearings doing that, or the brakes and the bearings are the pathway.

If the bearing nut is too tight that will generate heat from the center of the hub out. If the brakes are not releasing completely it will generate heat in the rotor which transfers to the wheel. Jack it up and see how much resistance the wheel has when turning it. Are both wheels getting hot? Odds are its either the brakes or it is the bearings. When is the last time any brake work or bearings were done?

Last edited:
Dragging fronts can be caused from the rod behind the master cyl being slightly to long or possibly a collapsed brake hose .has the power master been converted?

I did brakes about 4 years ago. Never had a problem like this. I will do some checks. I do have braided stainless hose and Hawk pads on the way though.

The powermaster is a rebuilt model from 2005. Works great usually. Pedal's gettin kinda soft, and the travel went up a bit. Jacked up the car and spun the wheels. They spin freely, with minor pad dragging. Exactly how much pad dragging am I supposed to have?

The powermaster is a rebuilt model from 2005. Works great usually. Pedal's gettin kinda soft, and the travel went up a bit. Jacked up the car and spun the wheels. They spin freely, with minor pad dragging. Exactly how much pad dragging am I supposed to have?

Engine running?
Wheels hot?
Pad drag...Not much if the calipers are free, and the pistons are retracting.

Ummmmmm noo!!!!!!!!Were the brakes smoking? Pop the dust cover off see if the bearings are roasted if they are getting that hot the grease will be black and it will stink..... Hawk pads are awesome but be prepared to clean your wheels a lot....

I think the bearings are fine. Going to turn the car on and try spinning the wheel again. And Hawk pads have a lot of dust? Don't tell me that lol.

Ok, somethings wrong lol. My epoxied center cap came loose now. 2 of the little tabs were pretty melted too. How hot is my wheel actually getting??? This is freakin rediculous... This car is going to kill me. If it's not one thing it's another... Wow...

Which kind of epoxy did you use to keep your center caps on with? what rims are on this car that you're having the issues on?

Standard issue two part in the little dual syringe thingy you buy at home depot. It sets in 20, and dries cream white. The wheels are factory GN steels. Wheel bearings are smooth. I'm guessing dragging brakes but I'm still checking here to see if there was anything I may have missed. Checking factory "brake drag" tolerances soon.

What is the proper torque for the castle nut on the spindle securing the bearings?

Back