You can type here any text you want

Need a new oil pump, and have some basic questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UncleDave

In the Booster Seat
The old filter adapter shows some uneven scoring from the gears, and upon inspection it looks like the pump shaft may be ever-so-slightly bent. If the pump shaft is bent at all, is it necessary to replace cam sensor also?

Wanting to be sure I do this correctly, so if you could, please comment on the following:

• I've read the pump gear-to-adapter end clearance should be around 0.0015"?
  • I have an SBC priming tool with collar. The collar is non-adjustable; is the position of the collar the same for the Buick?
  • I plan to use mechanical gauge on feed block to check pressure while priming;
  • Rotate the crank a few times while priming, until both rocker shafts see oil.
I'm not sure if it was here, but early on I read that sometimes with roller cams the oil doesn't reach the driver's side rockers unless the engine is spun while priming. Is there any truth to this? Just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
~Dave

Dave,
Just purchase a new oil pump kit from Melling. Any autoparts store should be able to get it in a day or two. Set the clearance as close to .0005-.0015 as you can get. TA Performance has oil pump cover shims out of mylar that make it pretty simple. They also carry the pump kit, too. Port the timing cover carefully. Basically radius the oil passages. TA also has a Melling thrust plate that is cast iron and it repairs the wear marks in the oil filter adaptor. Take your time and set the pump up tight. This will ensure good pressure at hot idle. You can also drill and tap the pressure relief valve nut and use a 1/4-28 set screw to adjust oil pressure. You will have to use the shorter spring in the kit and use a trimmed washer to press against the spring.

The Chevy priming tool might work, though I built my own and have never tried one. While the timing cover is on the bench, stick it in and see if it lines up correctly.

I've never had an issue priming the oiling system with a roller cam, unless it is an early block which doesn't have the transfere groove behind the front cam bearing. In that case, use a transfere hose/tube at the back of the block between the oil gallery plugs. They are threaded and allow adding a transfere tube a snap. This is only required on pre '84 blocks, though.

Hope this helps.

Have the SBC tool w/ collar. I asked about roller lifters and getting oil to the rockers, because I had an SBC that wouldn't prime the driver's side rockers, turned out the engine needed to be rotated a few times to get the roller lifters to each line up with the passages. Dunno if it was just those particular lifters or what.

Thanks guys!

Back